2013 fz8 break in with garage mods......

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Okay, got my bike back from Custom Performance in Fredericksburg and all I can say is WOW!

He did a fantastic job tuning it. He gave me a street style tune (more power down low, less rev-limiter style peaky power) pulls HARD all the way through the power curve. He also used the accelerator pump feature in the PCV to subdue my engine breaking a little bit. It was intrusive before now its a lot like the new R1 when you back off the throttle it just kinda..... almost freewheels. I like it better that way so far.

Gonna take some more pics and do some flybys this weekend and put up some video hopefully on Monday.

Be safe this weekend everyone! Im going riding :D

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
So I've priced out the r1 components I need for the cam swap, I'm looking at about 300$.

If I wanted to degree them myself, holeshot sells a nice degreeing wheel.

I'm going to go a step farther than just the swap, I'm going to raise my limiter to 12.5k, and I'm going to have the head decked and the valves checked for clearance.

The decking of the head is to bump my compression just a bit.

The reason I'm going to raise my limiter is the r1 cams are supposed to spin out to 13.5k..... I have been talking to a motor shop in south carolina and they use FACTORY replacement rod bearings and they spin their race bike motors a ton faster than I am willing to.

I am in contact with a guy that claims he made 116 hp with the cam swap, but he PCV'd the tune in his garage, and degreed it himself. No ecu unlock, no ignition mods, stock rev limiter.

So I'm Going to go one step farther and have it tuned at custom performance, the guys that just got me to 103 hp. So I will have the ecu unlocked, possibly a ignition module, and raise the limiter, and bump the compression.

Anyways stay tuned :D

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
It's hard to believe that no one showed any interest in the cam swap I want to do...... Is this one of those things that "shoulda bought an r1" will come up as? I'm curious, and who wouldn't like 120+hp! and 65ftlbs....... Any thoughts?

G

GNoiZZ

It's hard to believe that no one showed any interest in the cam swap I want to do...... Is this one of those things that "shoulda bought an r1" will come up as? I'm curious, and who wouldn't like 120+hp! and 65ftlbs....... Any thoughts?

I am more interested in the R1 Block+head swap like the Italian guy did ;-) ......... 2007/2008 R1 and FZ8 engine are basically the same so kind of plug and play.

Massima elaborazione FZ8 [con parti R1] - Presentazioni e lavori sulle nostre moto (google translator works wonders)

2007/2008 R1 cylinder block +pistons ,R1 cylinder head, R1 or FZ1 throttle bodies(airbox) 150hp+ on the wheel.... and for a good tune the Flashtune interface (way better than PCV and co)

11-13 FZ8 -FTDataLink ECU Interface Kit | Flash-Tune Inc

Most likely people who say "shoulda bought an R1" are just not capable to accomplish such a task by them self.... ;-)

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Hey guys so check this out!!!!

Came across a free 2009 r6s rear shock, it's red (sweet) and has a fluid reservoir. So I figure it's not as nice as an r1 shock, BUT it was free and red so I wanted to see if it worked and TAADAA!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
It did however take some creative relocation of the voltage regulator and the rear brake reservoir, but I managed to do it without cutting or drilling anything so it turned out nice. Also of note is the 1.5 inches of drop it gave my rear, my kickstand is almost straight up and down lol.

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Hey everyone! Just giving you guys an update on my little hell raiser. I purchased a r1 shock adapter from satan666 (thanks dude!) and also a 2008 r1 shock with a red spring. So these will be going on the bike in a few weeks, right now I'm prepping to go to the shot show in Las Vegas.

Anyways, I also am talking to racetech in Cali, they are interested in doing fork cartridge inserts for the 2013 fz8 but would like to have one in the shop for 3 to 4 weeks, they are offering 25% off the price because you'd be helping them develop a new product....

I'm also going to post this on a new thread. See I want this done, but I'm in virginia, no way I can get my bike to them lol.

Ttyl

NoNine4me

If you can get 65 ft/lbs of torque out of this engine please post dyno charts...120 HP for sure with the right mods, exhaust, PCV, R1 cams...

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Why not just do the Gold Valves? That's what I'm gonna do to my '12. They are excellent.

Well, I am setting the bike up the best I can without "fixing" it to something..... Travel bike, race bike, stunt bike, show bike.....

I just want to keep modifying!

These guys not only offer emulators, but the proper springs for your weight, and what weight oil, for whatever your doing......

And they are not expensive at all by comparison to whole fork set ups.

On there website they have a couple of articles, one is a motorcycle USA video of the 2010 "modified" 600 shoot out. The 600's got modified in different ways and raced, they used racetech front and rear suspension to show the validity of a "track-day" bike, not a "race bike".
Anyways my :2cents:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
If you can get 65 ft/lbs of torque out of this engine please post dyno charts...120 HP for sure with the right mods, exhaust, PCV, R1 cams...

Well, I'm getting pissed with the hassle of talking to shops for motor work, nobody wants to touch it because of R&D costs... so it's probably going to boil down to me having KWS look at my motor after a track season and telling them...... "R1 bore plate..... Make it happen!" :eek:

NoNine4me

Well, I am setting the bike up the best I can without "fixing" it to something..... Travel bike, race bike, stunt bike, show bike.....

I just want to keep modifying!

These guys not only offer emulators, but the proper springs for your weight, and what weight oil, for whatever your doing......

And they are not expensive at all by comparison to whole fork set ups.

On there website they have a couple of articles, one is a motorcycle USA video of the 2010 "modified" 600 shoot out. The 600's got modified in different ways and raced, they used racetech front and rear suspension to show the validity of a "track-day" bike, not a "race bike".
Anyways my :2cents:
Yes, Race Tech are well-known. Their Gold Valve emulators along with the correct springs are so good for street/track day use that going to a full cartridge is not often needed.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Oh man, here we go!
Thanks Satan666, I am hoping to put in my satan adapter and my new r1 shock tonight!

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
R1 shock with adapter :rockon:
Ecu pulled to get reflashed :rockon:
Secondary throttle plates reinstalled :rockon:

Now bored and reading zombie books! :rockon:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
So, my ecu is on its way to Don Guhl at Guhl Motors.... and tonight I'm removing the Power Commander.

I think I'll be the first person to have had a PCV, removing it and THEN try to re-flash, instead of people reflashing and then getting a PCV to experiment.

Anyways I was looking around and found on some other bike forums (R1, ZX6R) that a lot of people are starting to do re-flashes instead of using PCV's or JBP's or anything like that because quite a few people are claiming the tuning boxes are making their bikes quirky. Like not starting, or idleing funny, or having their throttle Positioning not read correctly.

Has anyone else had any of these problems? I kept having the bike pull timing for like a minute and then pop back to full timing when it was good and ready. It was kinda scary.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Ok guys and gals, 2008 R1 forks, front brakes, and a front wheel are on the way. I'll keep you posted and get some pics up.

This will hopefully remove any unbalance between my stock forks and the r1 rear shock.

Anyways I'll be putting my forks, brakes and wheel up here for sale also. But that won't be ready for a week or two until I do the swap.

And my ecu should be back by Friday. We shall see!