2013 fz8 break in with garage mods......

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=R3BaPo63SPhjmoFcDl4Cbg&bvm=bv.45512109,d.dmg

So the link above is pretty interesting whether or not you believe him. I picked up my fz8 on Saturday with .4 miles on the odometer and with the first couple of 2nd gear pulls heading down the road I felt a distinct difference by the 6th and 7th pulls. So anyways, there are some good things in the blogs he did even if you don't agree....
I changed my oil at 34 miles, and I will again at 200 miles.
Moving on
I Absolutley love this bike, it's fast, it's agile, it's so freaking comfortable compared to a reg sport bike.
The only thing I'm not diggin so far is the dip at around 4500 rpms. It's short but it's there. And I don't know if its me but first and second gear WOT is almost like the dang thing has wheelie control cause unless I make it, it won't come up for me. Also there is a lot of popping in the header when I come off of being under mild to heavy load, unburnt fuel I'm pretty sure but I dunno.
I have put 154 miles on it so far. I'm very interested in what he is doing with the ignition timing and secondary throttle bodies.
I am going for looks first, then doing a full "bolt on" power upgrade with a tune. The ecu thing is more of me wanting to see how well the bike should do stock, or how it should have felt from the factory.
I removed some things from the bike to see if I could get a better look out of it while its stock. And I took off the stickers and I think it looks a lot meaner.
So...... Here are some pics

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Oh yeah, and I live down a dirt road so no one give me any crap okay lol, it's a losing battle every single day I ride.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Also I forgot to mention, I will be doing a baseline Dyno run hopefully this Saturday. And then another after I get my ecu reflashed.

alexk

Weekend Rider
I'm at 900 miles now, and I can still feel changes in the way the bike rides as time goes on. The engine is getting smoother, more powerful, and rev-happier. The suspension is getting softer.

Given these changes that are still happening at 900, I'd suggest against making any mods until after your bike settles out. To do so now would prevent you from making any before/after comparisons, and you may find yourself running it too hard too soon

My :2cents: anyway.

ssky0078

I'm at 900 miles now, and I can still feel changes in the way the bike rides as time goes on. The engine is getting smoother, more powerful, and rev-happier. The suspension is getting softer.

Given these changes that are still happening at 900, I'd suggest against making any mods until after your bike settles out. To do so now would prevent you from making any before/after comparisons, and you may find yourself running it too hard too soon

My :2cents: anyway.

I would give it to the 4000 miles which is the first major scheduled maintenance after that 600 mile (which seems early). You should have a good idea of what you bought and then can better compare.

However, it's your money and your bike, knock yourself out

9 Lives

Most manufactures run their bikes on a dyno at full power and RPM right off the assembly line. Its had a torture test long before you get it.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
So I scheduled a Dyno run for my baseline saturday morning, I'll put up that info before I take out the ecu to be sent off. A friend is trying to get me to go to an 8th mile strip on Friday but I don't think a time comparison for a before and after ecu reflashed will do any good considering I don't drag race and I'm no good at it lol......

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Well I enjoyed riding a bit too much to stop at 200 lol, I'm at 254 and changed my oil again a little later than I wanted to but that's ok. Remember I'm trying to follow the break in procedures I mention in my first post of the thread, anyways.... My friends r6s is having fuel issues so I might get him to take my vmax to the Dyno shop on Saturday then I could have a baseline for both bikes yay! Oh man I'm so exited. I just ordered puig pro frame sliders, evotech exhaust hanger, evotech radiator guard and a targa fender eliminator kit. I think that stuff will really help set the bike off as far as cosmetics go. More to come tty later.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Okay here we go bone stock 2013 fz8 with about 280 miles on it. The air fuel ratio I'm happy with and the dip at 5k is smaller than the 2012 but someone else could better verify that for me. I'm happy with this graph as a stock figure. They apologized about their printer lol. CF: SAE smooth 5

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Alright I was going to be sending out my ecu for guhlmotors to reflash it tomorrow/maybe lol. Looking forward to see how an "unrestricted" stock bike does! But I've decided to wait.

Last edited: