Which FZ for a noob?

Umyaya

Yes I was thinking along these lines as well. I mentioned the price earlier b/c I could get an 2013 FZ8 CHEAPER than I could an FZ-07 or even the cb500f I mentioned before. I would finance rather than pay out the bike and where I live people tend to run things into the ground before selling so the concept of "buying the new donkey"(lol)--rings true to my wife's ears and mine as far as safety is concerned. While I know there are people out there that do keep up well with their things I agreed with her not to chance it on the 1st bike especially. I would ride on I 10 and had the same concerns as Jassilamba mentioned. I can flat foot all of the bikes I've mentioned to this point, so that isn't an issue here. If there isn't any glaringly bad reasons to go a different direction--I'll likely try to close on a bike before they are all gone.

2013 owners--do you find the "adjusted" engine/throttle settings from previous years to improve the ride, or was that all marketing?

Remember you will need to factor in GEAR into the price... You will spend close to 1k on decent new gear. Probably could get away buying used but still!

Also I could barely flat foot my first bike (CBR) and it was fine.. I can flat foot my FZ8 easy but rarely do! Honestly just remember never use the front break ever in turns, if you get nervous or scared pull the clutch in, Only use two fingers on front break and remember look forward and if you panic in a turn/think you are running wide keep leaning (always more room to lean) !

Last edited:

jassilamba

Yes I spent 600 on gear. 300 for the helmet (scorpion exo 2000 dispatch red), 200 for the jacket and 100 for the gloves.

I personally would not buy a used helmet or gloves. Jacket is fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Umyaya

Yes I spent 600 on gear. 300 for the helmet (scorpion exo 2000 dispatch red), 200 for the jacket and 100 for the gloves.

I personally would not buy a used helmet or gloves. Jacket is fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'd suggest getting a cheap pair of boots. Riding with those ankles exposed in shoes just gives me the shivers! I'll often ride jeans/boots if it's hot out.. if not I'm in a full suit! Only two types of riders out there.. Ones that have been down or ones that will go down! Sooner or later it'll happen.

Buck P.

I have taken and passed the MSF and have a great deal of gear already. I started there first and highly recommend others to do so too. The class was very fun (at least the riding part) and the classroom part is at least full of info that could save you down the road (why do I say that as if it's a bad thing??). same with gear, once I passed the class I started buying gear piece by piece. Sound like some of you have done this as well. Glad that seem to be on the right track. Got to get a bike and get out there!

decooney

There are lighter and more "flickable" bikes like the FZ-09 and FZ-07, and even the former FZ6 as a high RPM screamer, but I have really come to appreciate the lower trans gear ratios and little bit of extra weight and smoothness the FZ8 offers for urban area riding. I've ridden my buddies FZ1 too, which is better on the freeway and geared for it, but the FZ8 fills an interesting niche' that you only come to appreciate after riding it for a while, or after you trade riding bikes with someone and come back to riding the FZ8. It looks mean too. :)

myklobe

I was in your shoes less than 2 months ago. Here's what sold me.

I am 35, 5'11", 220lbs, and I got all my stunting and going 170mph out of my system already.

Honda CB500F - 471cc, 46HP, 401lbs, parallel twin
Suzuki SFV650 - 645cc, 67HP, 446lbs, V-twin
Yamaha FZ8 - 779cc, 105HP, 464lbs, inline 4
Yamaha FZ-09 - 847cc, 113HP, 414lbs, triple

I test rode all of them and the Honda and Suzuki were gutless to be honest. I really liked the look of the Suzuki but felt I'd be settling. I really liked the way the FZ-09 rode, but the gold forks and blue rims KILLED me. It really looked kiddied up (like a pre-teen should be riding it).

Ultimately, because of all the hype with the FZ-09, the FZ8 I got was still in a crate that they got in September of last year when they started getting their FZ-09s. They couldn't move it, and offered me $6400 OTD (but I ended up buying the Yamaha YES 5 year warranty because it was like $500).

I didn't even test ride it until I bought it. Once I saw it, I knew it was the bike for me. I thought it had some Batman stylings to it (I know that's cheesy, but it looks kick-A!!) and my boss even said that today haha. I LOVE the seating posture on the FZ8... it almost feels like you are riding a fast dirt bike :)

In the end, it comes down to you. Test ride them. See who will work with you the most (play interest in Honda at the Yamaha dealership and vice versa, see who gives you the best deal).

And lastly, get what you like. If you like looking at it, you'll ride it more :)

Larry P

God everytime I'm shopping at a dealer they're up in arms about test rides. Insurance blah blah you can buy it and return it within 10 miles! Yeah go fly a kite thanks. I have to stick to the mfr demo fleets so I guess I'll never have a honda!

myklobe

I wonder if that's a Florida thing? In Utah, every dealership I've been to (even the stupid buy it and return it high pressure stealerships) have let me take a ride on just about any bike I've wanted. I just have to show my M Endorsement, give them a copy of my insurance, sign a waiver, and I'm off.

That's no way to sell a bike if you can't ride it to see if it fits you and your style first...

NoNine4me

Yes I was thinking along these lines as well. I mentioned the price earlier b/c I could get an 2013 FZ8 CHEAPER than I could an FZ-07 or even the cb500f I mentioned before. I would finance rather than pay out the bike and where I live people tend to run things into the ground before selling so the concept of "buying the new donkey"(lol)--rings true to my wife's ears and mine as far as safety is concerned. While I know there are people out there that do keep up well with their things I agreed with her not to chance it on the 1st bike especially. I would ride on I 10 and had the same concerns as Jassilamba mentioned. I can flat foot all of the bikes I've mentioned to this point, so that isn't an issue here. If there isn't any glaringly bad reasons to go a different direction--I'll likely try to close on a bike before they are all gone.

2013 owners--do you find the "adjusted" engine/throttle settings from previous years to improve the ride, or was that all marketing?
Don't kid yourself on this, the FZ8 is a LOT of motorcycle. Hell, the FZ-07 is a lot of motorcycle. Like the one guy said, anyone is better off starting on a CB250 or maybe Ninja 300 but the new standard seems to be "Well I will start off on a bigger bike so then I don't have to upgrade."

The FZ7 looks like a decent compromise and there was a time when that bike could have been my only bike, and it would have been crazy good.

goonanc

i love my fz8. if i were starting out today and my first bike, i would get a $2k SV650 or $1.5k H599 and see what i like/dont like. wear ALL the gear ALL the time. go to a few dealers and ride their toys and then see what they would gimme by way of trade on my SV650, which they know they can sell to the next noob.
i love the 8. it does look like batmans bike. i really lust after a 9, but having just payed for the 8 not gonna get into a new payment. the 7 is very interesting, perhaps mrs goona could trade up for 1 and i could ride it too :)
stay safe, ride friendly

Umyaya

God everytime I'm shopping at a dealer they're up in arms about test rides. Insurance blah blah you can buy it and return it within 10 miles! Yeah go fly a kite thanks. I have to stick to the mfr demo fleets so I guess I'll never have a honda!

I thought I would be responsible for a death after I let the guy test drive and buy my old CBR. I still periodically text him "Are you still alive?" every once in a while...

Buck P.

@ goonanc prices on those bikes out here are about double. I have a thing for the 599, but the one thing I didn't like about my MSF class was having to play with the valves to keep the engine from stalling out.

someone mentioned the sv650--I didn't like that bike looks wise, but I do think it's in the realm of what I'm looking for. Also looked at the ninja 650, but I prefer the naked style.

Buck P.

Can anyone comment on the engine/throttle response for the 2013? Is there a difference from the 11 and 12 year models or was that more marketing from Yamaha than anything?

Amadeusb4

Go w a cheap 400-600cc for a first bike. The things you learn on that bike may change your taste for what you actually want and then you're not in a whole lotta money into it and can trade or flip the bike for the one you want. Get something which is very common, reliable and supported in your area. This way repairs will be quick and inexpensive and you can flip the bike w ease when you're done riding it.

decooney

Can anyone comment on the engine/throttle response for the 2013? Is there a difference from the 11 and 12 year models or was that more marketing from Yamaha than anything?

I recall something about a slight change to the fuel mapping for a small improvement, but for those who run altered/upgraded ECUs or aftermarket controllers it's an even better improvement with the right map.