Squid Sighting

Bajaedition

I would not go so far as to call them a squid
I live in SoCal and we are the home of guys on bikes with extremely little protective gear.
Most say it is to hot, but most I think have never even shopped for modern textile flow thru jackets and such.

What scares me is the guy with some pillion princess who is wearing little more than shorts and a baby doll top. I would hate to be her after a spill as they scrub the asphalt out of what used to be her skin.

But then we were all young once. I remember when helmet laws first came in and we all b*$%@ed, so I guess it is nothing new

RoadKill

I bet the OP doesn't call them "squids" to their faces, I like to see him call a bunch of hells angels squids.

that isn't a good argument though man. if you are scared to call me a bully because i will beat your ass that doesn't disqualify me from being a bully.

By definition a squid is someone who rides with shorts or sandals no jacket etc.
I personally will not tell anyone what they can or can not do but i am entitled to my opinion. And that opinion would be that riding without most of your gear is foolish.

Last edited:

alexk

Weekend Rider
Austin TX has a very strong rider culture out here - caring, reasonable people who are a lot of fun.

Trick is... they're almost all squids. Even the more dedicated ones will wear little more than jeans and a helmet.

I recently spent some time with a group who each rode more than 30,000 miles a year, and they all had war stories telling me they shouldn't be riding - several accidents a year, hospitalization from the first ride, trips with 20 hours of riding a day, sleeping straight on the ground. Every one of them concerned with style rather than fun or safety. The real hypocrisy? They looked at motorcycle safety as drivers' jobs rather than their own.

I'm very glad that Texas gives me the right to ride without any safety gear, but I require full gear for myself and any passengers, and have gone so far as to buy gear for friends.

Riding for passion is wonderful, and I support anyone in that. But, you must temper passion with responsibility. Squidding puts most of the risk on yourself, but it reflects poorly on the entire community, and increases insurance costs (car, motorcycle, and health) for everyone.

I'm considering buying $50 gift certificates for cyclegear to hand to friends. That'll cover a basic DOT helmet. In fact, I may get ahold of cyclegear and see if we could implement something better than a simple pre-paid card.

iheart2drift

I agree with the child on the back, all safety gear should be on the child because he/she is not old enough to make that decision for him/herself. What people wear on their bike (within the law) is their business. Here in Canada insurance rates are based on YOUR years of experience and Driving record. If someone wipes out my insurance rates do not go up. My bike insurance is very reasonable, less than $500 a year for complete coverage, way less than my car. If other people wiping out effected my insurance rates I would be paying a heck of a lot more. I bet the OP doesn't call them "squids" to their faces, I like to see him call a bunch of hells angels squids.

They're referring to the insurance company average. For example, everyone in Edmonton that has a bike with 800 CC but does not have their class 6 license must pay $444 because that is the calculated # they've figured it would cost to insure someone based on all the new riders.

9 Lives

By definition a squid is someone who rides with shorts or sandals no jacket etc.

I don't know what dictionary you are using but by definition "Squid are cephalopods of the order Teuthida, which comprises around 300 species. Like all other cephalopods, squid have a distinct head, bilateral symmetry, a mantle, and arms. Squid, like cuttlefish, have eight arms arranged in pairs and two, usually longer, tentacles. Squid are strong swimmers and certain species can "fly" for short distances out of the water."

It may be a slang derogatory term that you use to describe something/someone but is not "by definition"

Its always easy to call someone down with the anonymity of the internet, not so easy face to face.

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
I don't know what dictionary you are using but by definition "Squid are cephalopods of the order Teuthida, which comprises around 300 species. Like all other cephalopods, squid have a distinct head, bilateral symmetry, a mantle, and arms. Squid, like cuttlefish, have eight arms arranged in pairs and two, usually longer, tentacles. Squid are strong swimmers and certain species can "fly" for short distances out of the water."

It may be a slang derogatory term that you use to describe something but is not "by definition"

haha, damn 9 Lives...really breaking it down! You have to use the Urban Dictionary dude...it's legit. authored by Harvard Scholars. lol jk

Urban Dictionary: squid

Anyway, my .02. When I think of a 'squid', I think of that truly noob rider, someone in the 16-22 yr old demographic, that's gotten that liter bike as their first bike, has barely even held a drivers license and therefore isn't completely familar with the road to boot, and is 100% more concerned about looking cool than anything else because achieving vagina is the sole reason for riding a bike. Can you get vagina while all buttoned up in Protective Gear? Only Chuck Norris can. I'm straying from the subject...Anyway so you see some kid pussy footing a sport bike around town, revving at stop lights, peeling off in straight aways, in zero protective gear...the term 'squid' usually comes to mind. It's just a natural classification I feel. haha, and I'd have no problem telling that to his face. Big Black guy on hayabusa? That's a different story. Am I afraid of big black guys? Pfft...
Yes.

But when I see an older guy (i.e. black guy on hayabusa) scootin' around town with minimal gear, I don't think 'squid' at all. I think..."meh...he's probably been riding for decades, he knows what he's doing and he knows what he'll get into if he eats it". The difference is calculated risk I think. Us older, more mature gentlemen go through the mental process of weighing the consequences of riding w/o gear. Not to say that the younger crowd doesn't think about this stuff...but c'mon...we were all young once. What real responsiblilities did we have to weigh against? Looking cool for Vagina always won. or Penis...whatever...not discriminating.

Would I go so far as to snap a picture of a squid? Nah...personally I don't care...and we all know what they look like. In the end, who the hell cares what anybody thinks right? Wear what you want or don't want to. People are going to say what they will.

The moral of the story: This thread's intended definition of "squid" can be found in the urban dictionary. hahaha

DanS

Commuter
haha, damn 9 Lives...really breaking it down! You have to use the Urban Dictionary dude...it's legit. authored by Harvard Scholars. lol jk

Urban Dictionary: squid

Anyway, my .02. When I think of a 'squid', I think of that truly noob rider, someone in the 16-22 yr old demographic, that's gotten that liter bike as their first bike, has barely even held a drivers license and therefore isn't completely familar with the road to boot, and is 100% more concerned about looking cool than anything else because achieving vagina is the sole reason for riding a bike. Can you get vagina while all buttoned up in Protective Gear? Only Chuck Norris can. I'm straying from the subject...Anyway so you see some kid pussy footing a sport bike around town, revving at stop lights, peeling off in straight aways, in zero protective gear...the term 'squid' usually comes to mind. It's just a natural classification I feel. haha, and I'd have no problem telling that to his face. Big Black guy on hayabusa? That's a different story. Am I afraid of big black guys? Pfft...
Yes.

But when I see an older guy (i.e. black guy on hayabusa) scootin' around town with minimal gear, I don't think 'squid' at all. I think..."meh...he's probably been riding for decades, he knows what he's doing and he knows what he'll get into if he eats it". The difference is calculated risk I think. Us older, more mature gentlemen go through the mental process of weighing the consequences of riding w/o gear. Not to say that the younger crowd doesn't think about this stuff...but c'mon...we were all young once. What real responsiblilities did we have to weigh against? Looking cool for Vagina always won. or Penis...whatever...not discriminating.

Would I go so far as to snap a picture of a squid? Nah...personally I don't care...and we all know what they look like. In the end, who the hell cares what anybody thinks right? Wear what you want or don't want to. People are going to say what they will.

The moral of the story: This thread's intended definition of "squid" can be found in the urban dictionary. hahaha
Thank you cambo I feel much better now. I'm way to old to be considered a squid. :D I always wear my gear on my 5:30am commute to work or if I'm going on a ride of any distance or speed, but if I just need to run a half mile away to Kroger's for a head of broccoli or a half mile the other way to the local stop n rob for a lotto ticket I'm comfortable in a t-shirt and sunglasses

cxa0897

Motorcycle Squid Slang – About Squid Motorcycle Riders — Motorbike License.com

It is a fairly well known term, and there is nothing wrong with calling out a squid for what it is. that a tall guy, thats a short guy, thats a squid. its just an adjective, take it for what it is imo.

It doesn't matter if they decide to wear gear or not to be, its not my skin at risk. I will however, mutter to myself "what and idiot" everytime I see somebody wearing nothing more than a helmet on their bike. It's not my responsibility to say it to their face, nor is it something I have an interest in doing, I don't see how that is an argument. Whatever happens to them is fully deserved, and hopefully it wasn't too bad and they are in a position to learn from their mistakes.

We all take a calculated risk on our bikes, and we all have different levels of what we are willing to accept. The way I see it, it's not my job to determine how much risk you will accept

Last edited:

9 Lives

The only point I was trying to make was "to each his own". But when your publicly try to call someone down cause they don't conform to your rules, that just sticks in my side. It's no better than the born again Christan's or Jehovah witness knocking on your door to see if they can make you "see the light" or ask you if you have been "saved". You should have more of a concern with bike riders that ride with no care or attention to others and their safety (usually riding with full gear on cause around here wearing the alpine stars leather suit is cool) than some guy riding down the highway, following the law wearing a T shirt. Here is an example of what I am talking about, this guy was wearing his full gear and looking cool.Police investigate fatal motorcycle collision | Globalnews.ca

tiki

It may be a slang derogatory term that you use to describe something/someone but is not "by definition"

Its always easy to call someone down with the anonymity of the internet, not so easy face to face.

I've always heard squid came from Stupidly QUick, Instantly Dead.

thach1130

I'm sorry 9Lives if my post makes you feel like i expected the guy to conform to my belief. I was trying to point out how silly it is that the guy have no concern for his safety. Also my opinion is that you are not only dressed for your own safety but also you dress for the safety of other. If someone had a moment of misjudgement and cause an accident in which you are badly injured or gravely injured because you have inadequate gear, the guilt that ensue the person is pretty serious. I know, it is still their fault but i would not wish the guilt of being a murderer on anyone, especially if you had on adequate gear you would have been better off.

Bajaedition

Cambo, a good reply

I did shoot up to the store yesterday, sneakers, gloves, RF1100 in a tank top and Levi's

Half a mile,

got a soda pop and a few items for dinner. It was around 96 degrees

EARLIER, when I had taken a Sunday ride and did a 115 mile loop

it was Riding Boots, Textile flow trough Jacket with armour, Gloves, RF1100, Reinforced riding Jeans. It was 104 degrees.

Was I a squid that afternoon going to the store 1/2 a mile away down a country road?

no, After 35 years of riding, I know that the 1/2 mile tot he store could get me hit just as bad as the long loops, but I am not suiting up for a shot to the store.

Some may call me a Squid for that, I am glad others agree we can weigh the risk sometimes. I feel the average (should we say) sports bike rider takes safety way personal. However we all blow the rules every once in a while.

ssky0078

Looking cool for Vagina always won. or Penis...whatever...not discriminating.

And the closet door creaks slightly more open. It's ok cambo I'll still be your friend. I accept all people, beliefs and lifestyle.

I've always heard squid came from Stupidly QUick, Instantly Dead.

I've not heard that version but I really do like it. I would also add this part from Urban Dictionary

"Back in the day before trackdays (an organized event to allow anyone with a motorcycle and the price of admission to gain familiarity with a racetrack and learn to ride faster, more safely than on the street) were common and new racers frequently had no track experience - hence their unpredictable behavior and unsteady lines led to them being labelled "squirrelly", as unpredictable surfers (or surfing conditions or surfing equipment) were also called." Leading to squirrelly kid then shortened to squid. Also heard it because of the flail that the squid makes flying from their motorcycle as limbs go everywhere.

My belief on a true squid is an inexperienced, unprepared rider. The rider often has a motorcycle that far exceeds their riding skill level (which really is a lot of us considering our bikes race design origins), often will use the bikes power for straight line acceleration but are seriously deficient in cornering/braking ability, minimal training if any at all, minimal or no gear (I consider absolute minimum helmet, you don't come back from brain damage), attitude of invincibility or recklessness, general overall unconcerned for their well being

I have 2 accidents under my belt, both in the first 2,000 miles of riding. The second one was even caught on film as I had a "Hold my GoPro and watch this" moment with my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfaoOPJX1QE

I was wearing gloves, helmet, jacket, jeans and leather boots for both of them. Rode away from both (about 20 mph or less). Worst injury was a concussion from the first one. I've gone 9,000 miles in the last 5 months since, including the Advanced Rider Course and trip to the California canyons. I typically fully gear up for all rides of decent speed and/or challenging cornering.

I have started to squid out down here in AZ in other ways now. I have been riding with just my helmet, and gloves. Leaving jacket and leather boot/shoes at home. On days like yesterday I even ride to the local resort in swim shorts, trainers and t-shirt with helmet/gloves. The ride is about 3 miles and top posted speed is 45 mph. I follow Cambo's line of thinking in that it is a calculated risk, probably not the safest but also carrying your gear and trying to stow it at a resort pool just isn't practical. I don't feel that bad considering there are cruiser riders that rock their DOT bandana and CE approved sleeveless shirt for years, but then again, their skill level is appropriate for the type of riding they do.

I did meet a SoCal rider Nick who has started and pushed the NoSquidding movement. The whole message is safety and training. No judgment about the person who is squidding but rather a positive message to help encourage them to make better choices. Nick had a pretty serious off while Canyon riding in SoCal where he just had helmet and gloves on, he got lucky without any serious injuries but it was the wake up call he needed to wear full gear, and get better riding skill (for him it was the track).

No Squidding - Dress for the slide, not for the ride.

https://www.youtube.com/user/nickgnaime

Last edited:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I bet the OP doesn't call them "squids" to their faces

It's one thing to communicate by openly directing your comments as insults, but completely another to try to raise awareness for safety.

with that said, I don't agree with taking pictures of people to put on the internet to insult them for self-gratification.

cambo

Avid Rider
And the closet door creaks slightly more open. It's ok cambo I'll still be your friend. I accept all people, beliefs and lifestyle.

lmao!! ahhh damnit I set myself up for that one....I need to stop doing that haha

damn yearning for a true bromance....

wait what? shut up cambo

DOT bandana and CE approved sleeveless shirt

lmfao!! this is gold!

schmittz

when its 90+ out, I'll be squid-ish, shorts, t-shirt, icon vest, gloves, and my 1/2 helmet. At that point theres a higher likelihood that you'll be going down from heatstroke wearing your full face, leather jacket, and kevlar jeans...

just my :2cents:

JSP

Administrator
when its 90+ out, I'll be squid-ish, shorts, t-shirt, icon vest, gloves, and my 1/2 helmet. At that point theres a higher likelihood that you'll be going down from heatstroke wearing your full face, leather jacket, and kevlar jeans...

just my :2cents:

Dont ride then. :rolleyes:

I love when people make excuses to not wear gear. Went on a short ride with the wife yesterday and it was over 90. Yeah, it was hot. Not bad when moving. But when in town, yeah, we were sweating. We went home and got off the bike.

Like I said in the other post, get better summertime gear. There is so much great hot weather gear out there now, there isnt really an excuse. Or dont ride.

If the seatbelt in your car is chaffing your neck, do you just say screw it and take it off? I hope not... Get a pad for it or re-adjust it.

Insurance is a little expensive so screw it, go without..?

Condoms dont feel the same, pshhh, take that bisch off!

Too lazy to put a jack stand under the car I'm working on... The stock jack will hold, nothing happens to ME...

schmittz

Dont ride then. :rolleyes:

I love when people make excuses to not wear gear. Went on a short ride with the wife yesterday and it was over 90. Yeah, it was hot. Not bad when moving. But when in town, yeah, we were sweating. We went home and got off the bike.

Like I said in the other post, get better summertime gear. There is so much great hot weather gear out there now, there isnt really an excuse. Or dont ride.

If the seatbelt in your car is chaffing your neck, do you just say screw it and take it off? I hope not... Get a pad for it or re-adjust it.

Insurance is a little expensive so screw it, go without..?

Condoms dont feel the same, pshhh, take that bisch off!

Too lazy to put a jack stand under the car I'm working on... The stock jack will hold, nothing happens to ME...

Well... thats me in one paragraph^

edit: You forgot "nobody pays attention to my turn signals anyways, swerve"