Cylinder Boring

FZ1inNH

Administrator
DJK1505, why not try to get a complete r1 engine that fits and bolt it in? Not sure if this is possible, but it sounds like it might be.

Sounds like it should but due to the design of the R1 engine, exhaust and intake along with the RAM-AIR airbox and functional ram scoops, it will not fit the FZ8/1 frame at all.

Out of curiousity, does anyone have pics of the FZ8 with the tank lifted? Of the airbox? Of the airbox removed? I'd like to see the differences in just the FZ8 vs the FZ1 because from what I've read, the entire intake and airbox were all completely redesigned. Thus, even to swap in the FZ1 engine, you'd need the complete intake, airbox, tank, wiring harness and ECU.

D

Deleted member 438

Cobalt, I thought I saw a thread on the FZ1 of someone that did it?

D

DJK1505

Im not trying to get a 1000cc bike. I could buy that, I want a true FZ8! 800CC's, now after I have done that and play with that for a while, I will either have found another toy to tinker with, or I will then step up again.

This all started because I did not have my bike to ride, so I was day dreaming about what I wanted to do to it. And I got to thinking if this is supposed to be an 800 how hard would it be to make it a true 800.

I greatly appreciate the debates and discussions on this, I have learned quite a bit in the last day or so. I had no idea about the coatings, thanks Cobalt, and I have truely built a lot of engines in my life!!!!

I think the way I am planning this, I am going to order another head gasket. At some point in the next few months I want to remove my head and take it to the machine shop, see what we can do with the head, port, polish, valves, springs, anything. Save money up for the pistons, coating, head (if needed), and a few extra bucks for those odds and ends, thinking 2500 bucks. Then next winter, Dec/Jan, get into it, take the bike totally down and go to town.

Hellgate

Here's a thought, I know, it's dangerous when I think...

1) Fix the FZ8 under warranty, no $ out of pocket.
2) Sell said FZ8, pocket cash
3 Buy FZ1 for $4,500, enjoy a 150 hp motor

Just an idea, as the FZ1 is the ultimate FZ8 "big-bore kit", and you get a better suspension to boot.

Oh, and you'll probably end up with cash in your pocket at the the end of the deal.

Hellgate

Just an idea, as the FZ1 is the ultimate FZ8 "big-bore kit", and you get a better suspension to boot.

Oh, and you'll probably end up with cash in your pocket at the the end of the deal.

Oh never mind...

D

DJK1505

Its not about HP or suspension, its me being effin crazy and obsessive. It says FZ8, damnit I want it to be an 800 now. Once I get my bike back, this insanity will cease, b/c I'll b out riding! LOL :D:D

C

Camo

Fuck me, here we go :headshake:
Why don't we all just buy an FZ1, shut this place down and go join the other site.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Fuck me, here we go :headshake:
Why don't we all just buy an FZ1, shut this place down and go join the other site.

I don't want an FZ1, i would have bought one if that were the case. I like the FZ8 and its unique look ect, i am the only one around the Okanagan with one:). I know what you are getting at Camo and thanks for backing us FZ8 lovers up, frustrated with the fact that this is FZ8 site ,and hearing FZ1 or any other bike talk. I could have bought any bike on the planet, money is no issue with me, the FZ8 is very rare here, and i think it is the best bike out there for having a TON of fun. You will never catch me riding any overpriced, Ducati,Street Triple, Aprillia and such. I have had many Yamaha products, and zero issues with any of them, the FZ8 is my first street bike and i will likely keep it forever, next bike will be the refreshed FZ8:p, as long as it is Black.

FZER

Avid Rider
Camo is always good with an one liner! My dealership has two 12 fz8 now after I got mine. One white FZ1. It's a neat looking bike, but I've spent too much money on my 8. I'm going to keep it till it blows up or kills me.....

Crazywb23

The point regarding boring the stock cylinders is that you would remove the coating applied and then have the rings riding on pure (softer and more porous) aluminum instead of the hardened ceramic/silicone coating that Yamaha put in there. Your life expectancy of the cylinder heads will be greatly diminished. I wouldn't recommend this.

I have to agree. If the engine is an 02-03 with a smaller bore, just buy the pistons and cylinder bank from the R-1 and don't waste time with boring out the cylinders.

Crazywb23

Im not trying to get a 1000cc bike. I could buy that, I want a true FZ8! 800CC's, now after I have done that and play with that for a while, I will either have found another toy to tinker with, or I will then step up again.

This all started because I did not have my bike to ride, so I was day dreaming about what I wanted to do to it. And I got to thinking if this is supposed to be an 800 how hard would it be to make it a true 800.

I greatly appreciate the debates and discussions on this, I have learned quite a bit in the last day or so. I had no idea about the coatings, thanks Cobalt, and I have truely built a lot of engines in my life!!!!

I think the way I am planning this, I am going to order another head gasket. At some point in the next few months I want to remove my head and take it to the machine shop, see what we can do with the head, port, polish, valves, springs, anything. Save money up for the pistons, coating, head (if needed), and a few extra bucks for those odds and ends, thinking 2500 bucks. Then next winter, Dec/Jan, get into it, take the bike totally down and go to town.

Where's the dislike button??? lol

D

DJK1505

I have to agree. If the engine is an 02-03 with a smaller bore, just buy the pistons and cylinder bank from the R-1 and don't waste time with boring out the cylinders.

Read the whole thread, point is not to build a 1000, the bike is advertised as an 800, Im anal and want that to be true. So in order to make the bike a true 800cc bike you must bore the cylinder out 1mm and you will achieve an engine that is 802cc. For those that want a 1000 you can build the motor, or go buy one I dont care. My point is to make an 800.

DownhomeMoto

Read the whole thread, point is not to build a 1000, the bike is advertised as an 800, Im anal and want that to be true. So in order to make the bike a true 800cc bike you must bore the cylinder out 1mm and you will achieve an engine that is 802cc. For those that want a 1000 you can build the motor, or go buy one I dont care. My point is to make an 800.

Ok first.... There are very few bikes out there with a number in the name that is a true displacement statement. Second if your so "anal" then get FZ779 stickers made and run them with pride. Its a lot cheaper.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

D

DJK1505

Ok first.... There are very few bikes out there with a number in the name that is a true displacement statement. Second if your so "anal" then get FZ779 stickers made and run them with pride. Its a lot cheaper.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Read the thread, already thought about the stickers. If I was worried about the money I prob would not have even considered the mod. There are a few thousand FZ779's out there, I want an FZ802!!!!!!!! You dont like it, move on, read another thread!!!!!

V

Vapordan

Read the thread, already thought about the stickers. If I was worried about the money I prob would not have even considered the mod. There are a few thousand FZ779's out there, I want an FZ802!!!!!!!! You dont like it, move on, read another thread!!!!!

easy brah...we all need to get along.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I don't own an FZ1... I own an FZ998... how do I get my other 2cc's? Should I go with shallower plugs or a thicker head gasket? ;)

It's all in fun... :poke: :rockon:

lyric911

I don't own an FZ1... I own an FZ998... how do I get my other 2cc's? Should I go with shallower plugs or a thicker head gasket? ;)

It's all in fun... :poke: :rockon:

A thicker head gasket wouldn't make the displacement any larger. Displacement is defined by diameter times stroke. Neither would change with a head gasket. :p