Cylinder Boring

D

DJK1505

Ok guys I need some ideas.

Seeing as my bike is in the shop for warranty, they have the head off and I was thinking, while I am waiting for parts I might just bore the cylinders out 2mm and get new pistons and rings. My question is do ya'll think the PCV auto tune would do all the tuning work for me? I mean if I hooked the auto tune up would it remap and adjust timing as needed for the larger bore. I have not contacted Power Commander yet, I was just thinking about this as I was looking at a few other posts on the site and wanted to ask for ya'lls input. I also need someone that is good with all the math and can figure out how much bore I need to go to make this a true 800, right now we are what a 779 cc. 1mm, 2mm, etc.

Thanks
DJ

D

DJK1505

OK, stock bore is using a 68mm piston, if I go to a 69mm piston I am looking at 801.29. Now I just need to find some 69mm pistons that will work, and contact Power Commander to see if this will work. I wonder if I should look at upgrading the cam also. Damn too many options.

DJ

D

DJK1505

The PCV with auto tune will let u do anything to your bike and it will adjust maping perfect. I am waiting to hear back from Wiseco on pricing, looks like almost a grand for pistons and rings. Prob not gonna bore it out if they r that much.

I did speak to my machinest, he said to bring the heads over and he will look to see if there is anything there he could. Maybe we could do some porting and valve work, if he thinks its worth it i'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Either way, Im doing something to make it go faster before they put it all back together. The dealer has been cool now, he will pretty much let me do anything I want and they will assemble it.

Dj

Sschwar4

Why??? This will not be significant.

Not sure that the shop will let you leave with the block either. Porting and polishing the heads wouldn't be a bad idea, but then again, they most likely won't let you leave with the head until the bike is back together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

D

DJK1505

Its been a bit of a fight with the shop about this warranty. After talking with the owner of the dealership and the lead tech in the shop; if I wanted to take the engine while its apart for boring, or the head, he was okay with that. As long as I do not add more labor to the assembly than the warranty for the head is going to cover. So If I don't bore it, I will take the head into the machine shop and have him look at it. I really do not want to spend a grand on pistons alone. So porting and polishing, if that's all I can afford for now.

DJ

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Please don't forget that Yamaha coats all their cylinders with a patented composite material that you'd be taking away. They put the coating in to reduce friction and dissipate heat. Please see below:

Yamaha Motor Corp said:
Features of the technology

The DiASil Cylinder is an all-aluminum cylinder made possible by an exclusive Yamaha aluminum forging technology. Because it uses a 20% silicon aluminum alloy, it is possible to create a cylinder wall that is so hard and durable that it eliminates the need for a conventional steel cylinder sleeve. And, because the cylinder is all aluminum, it has excellent heat dissipation qualities and reduces engine weight at the same time. (Aluminum dissipates heat at 3.1 times the rate of steel.)

lothodon

Super Moderator
i went to town on my harley when it was apart for warranty work. cams, ignition, carb upgrade... and bored from an 883 to a 1203. couldn't keep head gaskets intact to save my life unless i went with o ring gaskets (another two step machining process).

unless you go BIG i'd not mess with it at all. just my two cents. plus, i'd almost guarantee you'll void any future warranty immediately.

D

DJK1505

The warranty runs out in june. Not worried about the warranty, just want to do something while its open. Big or little, just anything, I wont open it again until something else breaks, then I will do something else then. Im pretty weird when it comes to my personal projects! I really wanna call my bike an 800, and not be lieing! Lmao!
:mad:
Thanks for the heads up on the cylinder, its aluminum, no big deal, right pistons and rings, a little bore wont hurt a thing! But I still haven't heard back from wiseco on pricing.

We will see how it turns out!

Dj

H

Hoover

Don't mess with the big bore, not enough gain for the money anymore.
It used to be, back in the day of carbs and cams, but now, I would think more on the lines of a port n polish, more air, better exhaust and a good tune on a dyno with a PC or similar.

On a side note, has anyone considered a turbo yet? Or even nitrous?
I don't know how they would fare on such a modern engine. About 10 years ago, I built a 1978 Kawi Z1R from a wreck into a 210 hp mad max beast.
1260 big bore, turbo, nitrous and an air shifter. Of course it was like riding a Tomahawk missile that handled like an Amish buggy but it was fun.

Curious how a turbo would work on our 8. They are popping up on new factory cars all the time now.

D

DJK1505

Thank you high octane.

If the pistons were not so expensive, or I could use another models pistons, I would def bore it out, just because no one else has done it. I could care if I got 1hp or 100hp, I just like having something different. I will have the head to the machine shop tomorrow and will see what he says.

Really wish I could find a 69mmX53.6mm piston for under a 100 bucks!!!! uhhhh

Well no matter what I am going to change something!!!!!!!!!!

D

DJK1505

OK, so I was thinking, what about putting the R1 head on the 8? Our engines are an 01-03 R1 engine, with a smaller bore and the cams are different. I wonder what the difference is in the cams! Anyone out there good with cams? I need to figure out what the difference is and if it would work. You can get a full head for 150 shipped. I know I used 351W heads on my 302 build.

Maybe an R1 head with porting and polishing, good valve job, and the auto tune. Hmmmmm, I just bought the auto tune this AM, now I have to figure out what I can do with the engine.

DJ

Speedo007

Dont know why, but I think I'd look into a turbo option instead if I wanted more out of the bike :) For now with my -1, +2 sprockets when exiting curves the front slightly lift off the ground at 150km/h...quite cheap for the performance gain. That said, I'll be swapping the stock front sprocket back in, cause it's just guzzling down too much fuel to a point where autonomy is seriously lacking now (150km before reserve light appears). Looking forward to see the end result of your mods :)

D

DJK1505

Thanks Speedo, have you looked at the 12's fuel tank? I think i read somewhere it is a 4.8 ga tank now. Heck another gallon; another 40 miles. I don't really care about fuel mileage, just want to tinker with shit. Either way I am doing better MPG than any of my vehicles 01 twin turbo duramax, about 20MPG with 700 hp at rear wheels, 98 cherokee lifted 13 inches, about 6MPG, 64 chevy C10, have no idea what the gas mileage is, only drive it to the corner store and around the neighborhood. When it runs out of gas I grab a gas can from a neighbor or my garage and fill it up, but I am pretty sure its gonna be around 10MPG. My Vstar 650 gets great mileage, and the ZR7 does about 45, my 8 is my commuter and some mountain trips so there are plenty of gas stations! LOL

Speedo007

No I didnt notice the 2012 had a bigger fuel capacity, now I want one hehe
As for comparing mpg to your other toys, yeah I guess the FZ8 does seem quite reasonable :p For me, anything that takes more fuel then my 03 VW Golf, it's a gas guzzler :)

D

DJK1505

That Golf a TDI? We used to have one, I think it was around an 01, we used to pull 50 MPG regularly. Then I started tinkering, and before I knew it, we got 37 mpg but a lot more hp! Those are good little cars, I read a story of a guy that had something like an 81 rabbit diesel, he put over 1.2 million miles on the engine and body. He did replace things like the injection pump, head gasket, standard maintenance things. But damn, a VW with a million miles! Sweet!!!!

Speedo007

yeah those VW diesel engines have no end, all the rest will fall appart way before the engine dies. But mine is the gasoline GL version, the good old 2L engine that hasnt changed in probably 20 years hehe Not the most powerful or economical though (compared to a civic for example)...