Vote: Why do you my hands go numb?

Why do hands go numb while riding? (30 day poll)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

decooney

Vote: Why do hands go numb while riding?

Please vote on the poll questions above. Thanks!

Last edited:

decooney

also lever position can play a part.

So true. Thanks. Forgot about noting that one. I naturally rotate all of my levers down on all of my road and dirt bikes to keep the angle of my arms and levers parallel.

Last edited:

decooney

lmao...sounds like this could be one of ssky's next challenges? lmfao!

LOL is right. I hope we don't see a video link to that challenge. There was a vote button option for NONE of the above, but I guess other thoughts took over for Rover. :eek:

decooney

Back to the original intent... I did find these heavy bar end weights. If I was not moving to bar end mirrors, I'd be interested in trying these out on the stock FZ8 handlebars. I'm switching to LSL 1-1/8 fat bars and bar end mirrors soon, so I won't be trying these. Maybe someone on the FZ8 forum has tried them. Finding heavy weights in black is uncommon if they are stainless.

7/8 Universal X-Heavy Bar Ends

Not cheap. 17.9oz. Available in stainless or black on stainless. HEAVY.

Last edited:

ssky0078

lmao...sounds like this could be one of ssky's next challenges? lmfao!

I don't even know what fappping is.

However back on topic consider the sources of vibration.

1. Transmission: you have a chain drive motorcycle, adjust your chain, keep it well lubed (insert lewd comment, laugh, grin here) and replace.

2. Engine: You have an inline 4. Buy yourself a Morgan Carbtune, do a throttle body sync. Do it at idle set correctly between 1100-1300 rpm and at 4000 rpm. When the all four cylinders are firing in sync the engine produces less vibration.

Consider the structural components of the motorcycle and their effect on vibration.

1. Bars, Grips, and Bar Ends: All 3 of these can be set up in such a way to absorb the vibrations generated by the engine and transmission. Heavier bars, gel grips and heavier bar ends

2. Checking the torque on the engine mounts

3. Checking the alignment of the wheels

Consider the anatomical position of the body

1. Hand/Wrist position: You want the levers and angle of the bars to be in such a way that the wrist is neutral. When the levers are too high the wrist and hand are dorsi-flexed, causing constriction through the carpal tunnel and potentially irritating the nerves there.

2. Neck/Shoulder complex. The nerves of the hand originate from the cervical spine (neck) and pass through the anterior (front) part of the shoulder in what is called the brachial plexus. Depending on the riders history, previous accidents, age, injuries, work activity, etc. There may be some level of cervical degenerative disc disease, cervical radiculopathy, osteophyte complexes, braxial plexopathy, etc coming on. Physical therapy, neck strengthening and shoulder mobility can help free up the cause of the nerve irritation.

gufazi

...Consider the anatomical position of the body

1. Hand/Wrist position: You want the levers and angle of the bars to be in such a way that the wrist is neutral...

2. Neck/Shoulder complex. The nerves of the hand originate from the cervical spine (neck) and pass through the anterior (front) part of the shoulder in what is called the brachial plexus.....

For me, it's not vibrations, it's always body position. I deal with it by squeezing the hell out of my tank with my knees and concentrating on my core (bar risers and lower footpegs help too), as well as changing my position around the bike every so many miles.

thach1130

Engine is a big component. The FZ8 engine is not as smooth and balance as other motorcycle engine i've seen. One thing I'd note is the handlebar mount is on rubber bushing i believe so if incorrectly mounted or too tight will transfer the engine vibration up the handle bar.

One thing i notice with my bike after my accidents and subsequent repair is that now when i press the front brake the vibration increases in the handlebar. This is at idle.

decooney

ssky0078,
I'm looking closely at your item #2 for anatomical position. It relates to some of my own concerns. Your mention about former injuries, degenerative disc issues, and note about physical therapy is a helpful reminder. I'm the opposite of many where I cannot ride a regular cruiser sitting straight up for a long day with all the pressure on the lower back area. Sitting like that with the spine curved and arms and legs both forward just kills me any more. Today, on the FZ8, a slight lean forward position creating a small amount of traction on the lower back actually allows me to ride longer. Feels great actually. I traded bikes for 1/2 a day with a friend. He rode my FZ8 and I rode his Harley like I had a while ago. Wow, soon to realize I could not do that any more in that position. Even after 15 minutes on the Harley, I was ready to go back to my FZ8 not digging the lower back feeling sitting in the cruiser position. This resulted in a numb back and shoulders for me in a position that most consider to be comfortable. Once I got back on the FZ8 again with the slight forward lean position, all the numbness went away.
Getting back to Dirt riding and standing on my pegs through whoops and the constant release of weight off the spine has been interesting. I can start at the beginning of the day with a stiff back, numb areas, and by the end of the day my back feels great. I would not have expected this result. This type of variable exercise made me realize how important keeping yourself in great shape helps some of the areas of pain and numbness as you covered here. Thanks, your post reconfirmed some things for me in other areas.

Last edited:

n00b

Avid Rider
lol...ohhh geesus Thach you really went there

Decooney, no he meant fapping...no typo...just ignore the comment, don't google it.

LOL. I thought this was a motorcycle forum. what's with all the hand threads lately? I expect more of those in the middle of winter when people are bored. ;)

JSP

Administrator
Focus on supporting your body with your core/legs. You really should not be supporting your weight on your hands/shoulders.

decooney

JSP/socal,

I believe you. This morning I went out and focused on exactly that during a test run with a new exhaust. Instinctively I grab the bike with my legs on dirt bike single track runs but never realized I don't practice this normally on my road bike. As soon as I started focusing on this and trying it I quickly realized I was not putting much weight on my hands or wrists as much as I had been before. Great tip. It definitely seems to help. Thanks!

ssky0078

ssky0078,
I'm looking closely at your item #2 for anatomical position. It relates to some of my own concerns. Your mention about former injuries, degenerative disc issues, and note about physical therapy is a helpful reminder. I'm the opposite of many where I cannot ride a regular cruiser sitting straight up for a long day with all the pressure on the lower back area. Sitting like that with the spine curved and arms and legs both forward just kills me any more. Today, on the FZ8, a slight lean forward position creating a small amount of traction on the lower back actually allows me to ride longer. Feels great actually. I traded bikes for 1/2 a day with a friend. He rode my FZ8 and I rode his Harley like I had a while ago. Wow, soon to realize I could not do that any more in that position. Even after 15 minutes on the Harley, I was ready to go back to my FZ8 not digging the lower back feeling sitting in the cruiser position. This resulted in a numb back and shoulders for me in a position that most consider to be comfortable. Once I got back on the FZ8 again with the slight forward lean position, all the numbness went away.
Getting back to Dirt riding and standing on my pegs through whoops and the constant release of weight off the spine has been interesting. I can start at the beginning of the day with a stiff back, numb areas, and by the end of the day my back feels great. I would not have expected this result. This type of variable exercise made me realize how important keeping yourself in great shape helps some of the areas of pain and numbness as you covered here. Thanks, your post reconfirmed some things for me in other areas.

It is actually pretty interesting when looking at the anatomy of the human body and biomechanics. Seats/chairs have only been around for a few hundred years and before that there were benches or slightly elevated steps. From an evolution stand point we mostly would sit cross legged or squatting so our hips are designed to rotate outward and our back although when standing is a forward curve, when sitting or squatting likes to go into an outward curve with our knees up in our chest. The trick is with the knees at 90 degrees and hip at 90 degrees, sitting upright basically puts a huge load on the facets (joints of the back), worst case scenario what happens is a lot of people over time as part of the degenerative process of the body will develop osteophytes or bone spurs near the opening for the nerves coming out of the spine. The other main degenerative process is the vertebral disc begin to lose their structural integrity and will bulge outward when a load is placed on the spine, think about the disc as like a jelly doughnut, you can push the jelly inside from side to side and too much pressure the wall breaks down, however if you put an even flat pressure on the jelly doughnut it can hold a greater weight/force.

The forward lean riding position and slight tuck of the knees/hips allows to reduce pressure on the spine.

When people refer to their core muscles it is:
"Major muscles included are the pelvic floor muscles, transversus abdominis, multifidus, internal and external obliques, rectus abdominis, erector spinae (sacrospinalis) especially the longissimus thoracis, and the diaphragm. Minor core muscles include the latissimus dorsi, gluteus maximus, and trapezius."

Easy explanation is the abs and back muscles. A strong core provides a good foundation for the extremities to act on the world around the human body. In order to do this proper stacking of the vertebral bodies/vertebral discs, allows the spine to do its job without producing pain signals.