so this happened...

Rotaryknight

imgur: the simple image sharer

Wasnt like this 2 week ago. I put on 300 miles since the exhaust.

Was worried why my bike felt weird like it didn't want to go straight at times when riding with no hands. It was too twitchy, about to ride to work just 10 mins ago and saw this....

Marthy

Looks like a bad batch of Chinese aluminum... lol I will swap that for an aftermarket set from the FZ1 or something like that. I wont replace it with a oem part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

MotoZen

Not cool. I'm going to have to keep an eye on mine. I'm sure the Philly roads don't help.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

HenryT

Dang your the second guy who I have seen claim this issue. The other guy had a pretty good crash or something so I was suspicious, but this seems like it could be a trend. Odd this has not shown up more though as there are a decent # of these bikes running around for a while now??

Yes report it to Yamaha and the feds, there should be a recall IMO. This should not be happening by a long shot.

cpatt

thats crazy... maybe time to put in a 1" drop and make the bike a bit more comfortable when im at a stop.

medivh66

Pillion
I check mine before and after every ride now. does anybody make an aftermarket part? could be a good opportunity, if someone made something better i would buy an upgrade just to be safe.

Rotaryknight

Looks like a bad batch of Chinese aluminum... lol I will swap that for an aftermarket set from the FZ1 or something like that. I wont replace it with a oem part.

Would the fz1 one or aftermarket ones fit?

I don't even know how this could happen. I avoid potholes like crazy. It first started to feel weird Wednesday last week when I was riding back home from work. Went through a S turn at 40mph and the back was just feeling so jittery.and when I got it straighten up it felt like the bike was leaning to the left by it self. Good thing i wasn't riding on the weekend

Marthy

Would the fz1 one or aftermarket ones fit?

I don't even know how this could happen. I avoid potholes like crazy. It first started to feel weird Wednesday last week when I was riding back home from work. Went through a S turn at 40mph and the back was just feeling so jittery.and when I got it straighten up it felt like the bike was leaning to the left by it self. Good thing i wasn't riding on the weekend

Im sure someone has it all figured it out by now. I do jot have the assembly in hand or a clear picture. But it seems that tue part that bend is in compression. So the longest and weakest part of the link does most of the work.

If Yamaha doesn't have any update you can either have them build out of steel or double stack the aluminum one with longer bolts if theres enough room.

Best thing to do is stop by the other house and ask... the FZ1 as been around for more than a decade.

Marthy

From what I can understand...

The force of the swing arm pull up on the link, the shock/spring force push down. So the bend part of the link is under compression.

So 2 things here can happen...

1- design flaw! Just too weak or material (cheap 6061-T6 instead of 7075-T6) or simply too thin of material.

2- On the rider side... does everyone bending those link are near or over 200 lbs? Does your suspension sag is adjusted properly? If there's not enough preload on the spring... aka the sag is not set properly... too soft. When a big bump occur the spring absorb the bump (some sort of linear force on the link with no big peak) but if the suspension end up hitting the bump stop too hard this force, the force transfer to the link might get excessively high to the point of failure.

So before jumping into conclusion, let's gather some data from who did broke the link.

Weight, preload and if you have someone to help you check the air gap (distance between the bump stop and the spring perch before bottoming)

Don't forget that the damage might have happen on previous ride. Not necessary right before it break.

Rotaryknight

I left my preload on the 8th notch for two months already.
I will have to look and see if it does hit the bumpstop, but the sag on the bike isnt that much. I will see tommorow morning.