Riding on one wheel question

Umyaya

It might just be my imagination... but after popping the clutch a lot and practicing I seem to smell something... I don't feel like I'm screwing my clutch up. I just quickly clutch in and out.. is there a better way? Power wheelies scare me because you are going so fast...
Ok so here is a little trick for you if you have stock throttle setup on your fz8. You need to rotate your hand a quarter turn up above your normal grip position right before you want to do a power wheelie. One of the problems with the FZ8 throttle is there is slop in the throttle. By rotating you grip (wrist) up you gain the extra throttle to do what you need to do. I realized this when I was struggling to get my front tire up and I accidentally did this. Works like a charm for me every time now.

b-eock

It might just be my imagination... but after popping the clutch a lot and practicing I seem to smell something... I don't feel like I'm screwing my clutch up. I just quickly clutch in and out.. is there a better way? Power wheelies scare me because you are going so fast...

If your just popping it, literally less than a second. You're fine. If you're going at speed, you're smelling something in the air. Not what's at your feet area. As long as the clutch is adjusted right and you're just slipping it, you should be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

F3NIX

You just need to find the sweet spot for your weight and comfort. I was just as caucious as you at first and thats good. It means you still respect your bike and what its capable of. Once you stsrt getting the front up on a regular basis then try to keep it up longer. I went to a secluded area, little to no traffic and kept going back and forth on the same stretch of road. It built confidence for me. I can now bring the front up any time I want. Its a good way to make sure your still breathing ;)

Now honestly I dont pull mine up at high speeds on the freeway. Im a little too old to do that. But I know for a fact Beock is this forums foremost authority on stunting. BTW - beock are you putting that bike back together or working on another bike?

b-eock

I couldn't find any worthwhile engines to put back in the bike. They all wanted a crazy amount of money for an engine that would probably crap out in a few thousand miles. And I wasn't about to do that. So I'm working on parting the R6.

So I ended up putting $3K into a CRF50. (And its still not complete.) It ran and was rideable. (For about an hour.) It ended up tearing apart the transmission and tore the sprocket bolts out of the hub (all 4 of them) from the torque of the engine. It was a Stage 6 Big Bore kit. 117cc. Liquid cooled. Piranha V2 suspension kit. Red 12" spoked rims.
its missing the front fender in that pic. Just imagine a stock CFR50 red front fender.
the exhaust. Full stainless steel carbon Yosh pipe.
on the bike. Hydraulic disc brakes.

I can get more pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see specifics.

But I am saving for a 2013 FZ8. Miss the bike. Its perfect. Its fast. Its comfortable. Its can be mean and it can be nice. Its a perfect bike for me. I have been watching a few around the states. And after the last misshap with a used bike. New is the way for me. So watching a few drop prices so hopefully soon I'll be able to go snatch one up...

Last edited:

F3NIX

Nice looking bike! Bet its fun.

Yeah I have the 13 and its all I could ever want. I still havent played with a dyno and tuning yet but I have alot of fun on it. Wish there were more fz8 riders dont here though. I dont see many. Wake up AZ!!

HeresMyMind

I did the R6s throttle tube, that made power wheelies much easier, right around 7k, preload the suspension a tiny bit and rock the throttle, i can keep the front end up about a ft, from ~40-70mph

-B

Umyaya

What year r6 throttle tube ? Or does it matter
I did the R6s throttle tube, that made power wheelies much easier, right around 7k, preload the suspension a tiny bit and rock the throttle, i can keep the front end up about a ft, from ~40-70mph

-B

Rhysw

I was feeling a little mischievous today, riding 1st gear approx. 6500rpm 60-65 kph (35-40mph) moved to the back of the seat preload the forks and give the throttle a handful and up she comes power wheelie. I think the idea is to have the bike just above the power band/yamaha rush where you are getting the most out of the torque.

04wrxwagon

I've finally figured out clutch ups. Works best at 15-20 MPH, around 3500 rpms. Pop the clutch and snap the throttle and the wheel comes right up. First gear though. Second gear I have yet to play with, but I'm happy with the little first gear pops. I'll keep practicing in first until I have it perfected.

redvettx2

I don't know but practicing learning to wheelie on a big street bike is not the brightest plan. Start with a dirt bike and learn to get it up on the balance point and to keep there. When you can do that you can move on to up shifting and and down shifting. Then you are ready for the street. I Know I will hear it but one mistake and it is always really ugly with a street bike and hard pavement. Growing up "Honda Joe" never wore out a front tire. The front end was always in the air. Once off from a stop light he was good until he needed to stop again. Honda XL 350- Wheelie machine. 2 strokes are harder learn on with the short power bands. At some point and time you will loop it over once you get aggressive cocky. The pavement will have extra bite and you will be scraping up plastic parts. Have fun. The learning curve can be a steep one.

Sledneck

Ive been riding dirt bikes all my life. I can pop wheelies on my 450 in all 5 gears without clutch ups and same with me 250 2 stroke. But hoping on a street bike its completely different. I'm almost scared to try! Definetley doesnt have the torque to do so. Maybe the FZ09 does?? Anyways doing a -1/+2 sprocket change maybe will help?

04wrxwagon

The fz8's torque band is higher in the rpm range. To play it safe, I usually pop it at 3500-4k. I don't do power wheelies. I'll revv it to 8500 or so. Usually it's enough to pop the wheel up fine. 1st gear though. Second gear...still in the works. I rarely ever try.

b-eock

This bike will come up in 5th gear with stock gearing... So it definitely has PLENTY of torque. You just haven't mastered it on this bike... I'm not shooting down your abilities. I just know damn well this bike can do it in almost all gears.