loud on chain side, only under power

greenturbo

Yesterday when i set out on my Fazer i noticed there was something very loud on the chain side, cant really hear it with my leg in riding position, but if i move my knee out i can hear a loud "whering" noise..

-only under power
-goes away on clutch in
-no noise under decell in gear
-no noise reving with clutch in

what are your thoughts?
chain only has 3000km on it. Is this a case of needing more lube on the chain? or is my chain toast? or something more serious? any one else have this issue?

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Well, start simple, look at lubrication, and tension. Then check for loose sprocket nuts and scary things like that lol. The manual shows pics of what a "whale tailed" sprocket looks like.
Btw use the manual for proper tension, don't go off your eyes.

DSmith

I recently noticed the same exact thing. Dont notice the noise when in the regular riding postion, only with left leg out under acceleration. I have just under 3000ms. Not sure if its just the chain noise ive never noticed before or something else. Tension is within specs. Lubed recently. Aligned by marks on swingarm.

greenturbo

I recently noticed the same exact thing. Dont notice the noise when in the regular riding postion, only with left leg out under acceleration. I have just under 3000ms. Not sure if its just the chain noise ive never noticed before or something else. Tension is within specs. Lubed recently. Aligned by marks on swingarm.

glad to see im not alone..
maybe they cheaped out on the chains or something.. hmmm

I called the local dealer where i bought the bike.. the tech said "chain is probably loose" so ill have to check my tension according to the book this

and then follow up if the problem still resides

DSmith

I thought i was within spec on the chain slack. But i had about 1 3/4". Brought it to 1". Cleaned and Lubed. No sound after a quick ride around the block. Hope yours is a quick adjustment as well turbo.

greenturbo

I thought i was within spec on the chain slack. But i had about 1 3/4". Brought it to 1". Cleaned and Lubed. No sound after a quick ride around the block. Hope yours is a quick adjustment as well turbo.

ill have to give that a try, thanks!

DSmith

Well after a ride to work i noticed the problem still persists. I guess a ride around the block wasnt enough speed to bring out the noise. If anyone has any other ideas help me an turbo out. You dont think this is normal chain noise?

greenturbo

Well after a ride to work i noticed the problem still persists. I guess a ride around the block wasnt enough speed to bring out the noise. If anyone has any other ideas help me an turbo out. You dont think this is normal chain noise?
:agree:

Primo87

Ive Notices the same thing On mine. I did the whole lube, alignment and chain adjustment with no result. Im hoping its not the the front sprocket, thats the next thing to look into.

Although i haven't noticed any riding difference, I still have the same amount of power, no rattling, and no real difference in the ride in general. Ill tear it down tomorrow and see what i can find out for anyone else having this problem.

Although if its not the front sprocket, then I'm just gonna ride it till something breaks and then I'll know for sure what it was. lol

greenturbo

Ive Notices the same thing On mine. I did the whole lube, alignment and chain adjustment with no result. Im hoping its not the the front sprocket, thats the next thing to look into.

Although i haven't noticed any riding difference, I still have the same amount of power, no rattling, and no real difference in the ride in general. Ill tear it down tomorrow and see what i can find out for anyone else having this problem.

Although if its not the front sprocket, then I'm just gonna ride it till something breaks and then I'll know for sure what it was. lol

please keep me updated..
i really dont remember it doing it before like 3000km
and i have already thought to change the chain and front gear

DSmith

I took off my front sprocket cover today. I found quite a bit of built up grease, chain lube, and sand inside. I wiped everything out with a rag and havent had any chain noise under acceleration anymore. Just the normal consistent chain noise. Give it a whirl gents and maybe its the same problem. I triple checked my alignment, i was having major OCD about it but this seemed to take care of the issue

n8kdfz8

Yesterday when i set out on my Fazer i noticed there was something very loud on the chain side, cant really hear it with my leg in riding position, but if i move my knee out i can hear a loud "whering" noise..

-only under power
-goes away on clutch in
-no noise under decell in gear
-no noise reving with clutch in

what are your thoughts?
chain only has 3000km on it. Is this a case of needing more lube on the chain? or is my chain toast? or something more serious? any one else have this issue?

Thats so funny u brought this subject up. i myself have recently started to hear that noise to:confused:. saying to myself WTF is that damn whering noise:mad:? LOL:D

greenturbo

I took off my front sprocket cover today. I found quite a bit of built up grease, chain lube, and sand inside. I wiped everything out with a rag and havent had any chain noise under acceleration anymore. Just the normal consistent chain noise. Give it a whirl gents and maybe its the same problem. I triple checked my alignment, i was having major OCD about it but this seemed to take care of the issue

ok, good to hear.. i am going to pull that off and take a look asap!

greenturbo

So i tried your idea last night, and then i adjusted the chain like the service book says.
and now the chain is loud under power and coasting..
i think ill have to back it off a bit again.. :s

DSmith

if its constantly loud my guess would be too tight.. best of luck man. i just put a twobros on so i wouldnt hear it anymore even if the noise came back :p

UPDATE: noise is back. listened very closely on the ride to work. same symptoms remained. anyone think it could be a bearing or something?

Last edited:

DSmith

Going to the stealership after work. they said theyd take it for a ride. better safe then sorry i guess. will update after visit

DSmith

Mechanic at the stealership took it for a ride. Said it wasnt the chain, "its noise coming from the stator, its completely normal". Thats pretty much all he gave me. Not sure if i believe him but atleast he gave me some sort of answer. :confused:

greenturbo

if its constantly loud my guess would be too tight.. best of luck man. i just put a twobros on so i wouldnt hear it anymore even if the noise came back :p

UPDATE: noise is back. listened very closely on the ride to work. same symptoms remained. anyone think it could be a bearing or something?

I took mine in to the dealer aswell.
they re adjusted the chain.. and the noise is still there..
they cant find anything wrong.. "some bike just have a loud chain"

in the spring i think ill replace the chain.. and see if that fixes it.