Jumpy RPM's at 3-4k range

Larry P

'kay so in both first and second gear around 25-30 mph the bike starts jumping and bucking pretty hard. It's very consistent. It happens as soon as 3100 rpm and high as 3600 rpm. Very annoying while cornering, almost unsafe. I swear I got the most problematic FZ8 ever. Running 87 octane per yamaha's specification. It's been doing it since I got it. While I plan to take it to the dealer, I'm curious as to what it could be. Anybody have something like this? Sounds like a bad fuel/air mixture.

JSP

Administrator
Should not buck or do anything like that at all. I have air box mod and its smooth all through rpm. Slight very little surging at idle after blocking ais but hardly noticable.

If its bucking that hard, sounds like a misfire. Bad coil or plug maybe? What mods do you have if any?

Mrpacis

Anybody know the number for Yamaha. This dealership is just not good. They said they would called me regarding the issue that I told them but got nothing. I have an extended warranty too

the borg

Mine does the same thing at 3100 rpm. When it does happen it is when I an trying to hold it at a steady throttle. If I accelerate through than I feel nothing. I think it is a combination of fuel delivery and throttle position. The throttle bodies may need to be sync'd.

JSP

Administrator
Anybody know the number for Yamaha. This dealership is just not good. They said they would called me regarding the issue that I told them but got nothing. I have an extended warranty too

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

impostor1981

Mine does the same thing at 3100 rpm. When it does happen it is when I an trying to hold it at a steady throttle. If I accelerate through than I feel nothing. I think it is a combination of fuel delivery and throttle position. The throttle bodies may need to be sync'd.

Same as the borg, and btw why r u cornerring whit such low revs ,keep it ay 5k midcorner. If you need to dlow dowm for any reason ( emergrncy) you ll tun out of revs and would have to drop the gear down to prevent bike to stall or collapse in to the corner. You ve got bettet controll on higher revs

malikona

I experience the same sort of thing. I don't think it's a misfire, feels like throttle/valve timing. It's not major but it can be a little unnerving. I just plan to have the techs look into it when the valves are adjusted at 4000 miles (1800 more miles for me).

cpatt

mine does it also and ive narrowed it down to throttle position. i think its just not getting enough fuel. so when it happens i apply like 1/16 more throttle and it will go away. its kinda weird and annoying but oh well

12marsFZ8

yeah it is, haha, my R6 never had a single problem, traded it in with 17,000 miles, still glad i got the FZ8 though.

H

Hoover

Mine is silky smooth all the way from the bottom to the top. I have over 4K miles with not so much as a hiccup.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
12,750 kms, never missed a beat. Have had zero issues, other than the seat and mirrors the bike is great for the price.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Careful mon, these FZ1 trolls wouldn't know humor if it hit them in the face!

LOL, reminds me of last weeks FZ1 kill. A month ago a local with a FZ1 blew me away and really rubbed it in, laghing and telling everyone how he smoked my sexy FZ8. Well i got back at him last week, came up on him with my 2012 VMX17, he motioned he wanted to go, so we did, after totally blowing him down much worse than he did to me on FZ8, i got the last laugh, look on his face was priceless when i flipped my helmet up and he saw it was me, ya i rubbed it in real good...LOL.

F

Fazed

I've just noticed that mine does the same thing, but it wasn't doing it before. It's been doing it since I filled up at a different petrol station, so I'll run this tank empty and put a different lot of fuel in it.

W

WARPTH

Well you would hope the fz1 was faster as it has 50 more horsepower. personallly. i didn't buy the 8 for out right power. but more or less just a good cheap fun bike that you can really have some fun on and not worry about getting on the gas too hard and hi side it. if i wanted a jet i wouldve bought a zx10 or a s1000r. so in my words. what a dick head!

V

Vapordan

LOL, reminds me of last weeks FZ1 kill. A month ago a local with a FZ1 blew me away and really rubbed it in, laghing and telling everyone how he smoked my sexy FZ8. Well i got back at him last week, came up on him with my 2012 VMX17, he motioned he wanted to go, so we did, after totally blowing him down much worse than he did to me on FZ8, i got the last laugh, look on his face was priceless when i flipped my helmet up and he saw it was me, ya i rubbed it in real good...LOL.

Now that wasn't really fair, Vmax is alien technology!