Jumpy RPM's at 3-4k range

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Now that wasn't really fair, Vmax is alien technology!

Ya, your right. I started riding last Aug( 1 year ago), and the FZ8 was like starting with a soft acceleration drug, now i am an acceleration junky, the Vmax definatly gets me a fix. When my wife asked if the Gurued ECu that showed up was for the FZ8 and i said sheepishly, no the Vmax, she handed me a new life insurance policy and said, "sign this before you install that damn thing, one of the quickest bikes in production and you need more power after only a month, we have kids you know!!!!???" You all think she is getting mad ??:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tango59

Most new FI bikes do that because it's too lean. Euro 3 Specs !!! It took a "Holeshot Stage I kit" to sort my Bandit out.

kuwaiyert

If u all notice during at rpm 3100 there is a clicking sound.. The sound similar to when we tap the brake lever n there is a clicking sound..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

D

DJK1505

I have this and it is really starting to piss me off. I thought it was in the TPS, pulled that and ohm'd it, not that. Today it started to cut out in the middle of a turn when I was holding it steady. I am wondering if this is part of that Fuel Cut system that Ivan made a Fuel cut delete for the FZ1's. This is irritating.

DJ

D

DJK1505

Mine is not at a certain RPM, it is more at a certain throttle position. Anyone else notice it more at a certain throttle position than rpm? And my fuel mileage has tanked!

Anyone still under warranty and can take thier bike in to the shop and have them scope the engine under load and see what the engine is doing? That is going to be the only way I am sure we will be able to solve this. I can ride around it but its freaking annoying. And to have an issue like this with a bike that is only a year old is ridiculous.

DJ

the borg

My FZ8 isn't even a year old and it is jumpy. I have researched the FZ1 forums and there are may threads on the jumpy ride. I have not seen a definitive solution yet. I am getting to the point that I am think of selling the FZ8. Recently I have needed to up my idle speed to 1300 just so the idle is somewhat smooth but it has never been completely smooth. :confused:

I have never owned a bike that started so hard and idled so rough. It takes about 15 minutes for mine to get somewhat smooth. At least my MPG hasn't suffered yet.

This is my first Yamaha and probably my last. In the first two months I had to replace 2 leaky gaskets and one of them is leaking again. A 2 month old bike should never need 2 gasket replaced.:mad:

D

DJK1505

I love the bike but am gettin tired of this problem. My buddy is thinkin an ecm issue. I am going to do a compression test and see what each cylinder is doing. It runs great around the issue, but pisses me off cause i havent figured it out yet.

D

DJK1505

have not had a chance to do the compression test, of course my compression kit only does diesel and vehicles, not a small enough fitting to thread into the head. And I hate those ones you hold in. But I have been doing a bunch of reading and came across ECUnleashed. They reprogram ecu's and test them. I have sent an email to them describing my problem and am waiting for an email back. I really think this is a hard wire issue, not a sensor, or mod issue.

DJ

W

WARPTH

have not had a chance to do the compression test, of course my compression kit only does diesel and vehicles, not a small enough fitting to thread into the head. And I hate those ones you hold in. But I have been doing a bunch of reading and came across ECUnleashed. They reprogram ecu's and test them. I have sent an email to them describing my problem and am waiting for an email back. I really think this is a hard wire issue, not a sensor, or mod issue.

DJ

Have you tried running it with The factory ecu? Like taking off the power commander and auto tune?

cooljoe

Have you tried comparing it to other fz8's? Maybe someone else in your area has one that you could drive to see if it's a Yamaha thing? I know my Suzuki had all sorts of weird noises and quirks, but comparing it to other vstroms, I found that it's just how that bike is.

I can at least tell you this though, my bike was very sensitive to the different fuel mappings when I put my juice box on it. I had to manually tune it down from the maps that I found online because adding too much fuel makes the bike cough when you slam on the throttle. Have you tried running a little closer to stock mappings to see if that sorts it out?

If you are ever in Raleigh, you can certainly have a look at mine to see if it's there as well.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
the borg,
you got a lemon on your hands.

I agree, after 14,000 kms my 100% stock FZ8 has never missed a beat, always fires up right away( even at -2*C), and runs very smooth, love the bike. My FZ8 sat for 2 weeks while i was riding my Vmax last month ,and as soon as i hit the starter it fired right up and purred like a kitten.

D

DJK1505

Being lazy today, but am taking all PC stuff out tomorrw and going to see if that does it. Stock is gay, fuel cut is senseless, factory ignition timing retardation is stupid, i want the ecm to work like its meant to, not like the epa says it has to!!!!! I really just want the freaking bike to run smooth again, and if i have to reflash a race ecm for it to be right, thats what im gonna do!

I

Larry P

Wow this thread took off much further than I anticipated. As for an update to my continuous problem- it's still there. For the time being I just give it a bit more throttle and even speed a teeny bit if I must just to avoid the jumpyness. It's still rattling too, but I think its something under the fuel tank, kinda like the EXUP servo motor from my old R6.

DJK- I'm interested to hear what happens when you check chamber compression. Keep us posted!

Mansack

I'm looking forward to any input on this issue as well. Just bought a 2011 FZ8 with 1800 miles on it, and it lurches at low speeds (~20 mph with little throttle) and is super touchy / jerky with the throttle at low RPMs (3-4k). I've been countering this with a lot of clutch control, but it's getting plenty annoying.

D

DJK1505

Mansack ur issue below 20 could b a chain adjustment. Make sure ur chain is not too loose or over tiht. A loose chain can cause the bike to be jumpy at low rpm.

D

DJK1505

Ok, a little more troubleshooting today. Went for a 6 hour ride, its getting very annoying. In second gear right at 4200rpm it sounds like gas boiling in a carb, gurgling sound in the exhuast, and loss of power clean up until 3rd at 7k, then feels like its fighting against itself loss of power and surges. Got home hooked up lap top watched my afr values. At idle they r good, then you rev it i had them go as high as 32 and if i rev it several times the afrs go crazy, had a five digit number flash several times. Turned autotune off and my afr's were like 15. Really think its an ecu issue but still not done troubleshooting. Can anyone open their pcv and tell me what their afr values r when you rev it several time quickly. Just like you are bliping the throttle but do it five or six times. I dont think the ecu is processing the info correctly.

Thanks
Dj

D

DJK1505

HAHAHAHAH well Im a retard. In a post a while ago, I said, know what you are doing and understand what you do when you mod. Well it turns out when I was screwing with my PCV I enabled the rev-extend. After basically starting over and going through every freaking thing on the PCV I call a tech at Power Commander, first thing he said, do me a favor and double check your rev extender. This can not be on unless you have the ignition timing device. Sure enough it was on and that solved it.

Learned a good troubleshooting technique from the guy, with our PCV you do not have to completely remove from the bike to take out of sequence. Basically you run all 0's in your AFR tables and Fuel tables. This tells the PCV not to do anything and it runs totally off the ECU.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Hope you guys get your jumpy issues figured out. Mine purrs like a kitten now. Time to build some bigger maps!!!!!!

DJ

the borg

I am glad you found your problem. Mine problem still exists and the dealer has had it for a week and they can't find the problem. Sorry to say but this thing is about to go. :(

D

DJK1505

Borg, u have a PCV? Hit me up when u have a chance to ride. I'll let u ride mine, you can see the difference with a tuner. I have abunch of tunes. I know its a bit of money, but this bike really is a good bike. Freakin sorry to hear ur having such an issue. Wish i could help more man.

Dj