Help! Made a noob mistake

Umyaya

So I painted my gas cap gold tonight... I decided to tape off the cap and around the tank... I should have taken off the cap and did it. Anyways... I didn't realize but when I sprayed a small amount of the paint somehow like either went through or got carried onto the tank! The tank has a little shimmer to it =[ .. I was so pissed and depressed tonight... I am going to try mineral spirits on it.. but if not I may have to buffer it out.. Anyone else have ideas? I def have learned from this!

Umyaya

Paint leaked inside the gas tank and mixed with the gasoline?

Nope. I sprayed the gas cap ... but some of the after spray from the can got past the taped off part onto the tank =[ was stupid and didn't cover entire thing with newspaper.. thought it wouldn't spray as far!

Rotaryknight

Nope. I sprayed the gas cap ... but some of the after spray from the can got past the taped off part onto the tank =[ was stupid and didn't cover entire thing with newspaper.. thought it wouldn't spray as far!

You know those operating room clothes that they drape on people when performing surgery on a specific part of the body...yea, I go overboard when I paint a part thats still on lol

When I paint cars and parts if there is overspray I use meguiars wax cleaner that they sell at the autopart stores. If the overspray is really bad, you might need to get some rubbing compound and work the clear coat clean.

edit : I asked a painter friend of mine and he said to use clay bars.

IanLeMasters

Yep try clay bar and spray wax first, then rubbing compound if the bar doesn't work. Be careful with spirits you can do more damage.

GarryM

Clay bar works, I've used it to get overspray off my car. But make sure you start with a super clean surface and use plenty of lube, either a quick detailer/spray wax type product or soapy water.

Perron

clean the bike and dry it to make sure the surface is clean. You can use clay bar as stated or just to a smooth compound to remove it (no need to use some professional one like M105 if you aren't use to do that). If it's still fresh you won't have any problem removing it. Just apply a quick wax after (and a polish between those two steps if you got some swirl because of the compound).

May be a good opportunity to do a nice compound/polish/wax all over the bike!

JSP

Administrator
Clay bar and some mild rubbing compound.

I had some heavy over spray on my Bandit from a previous owner. Came off like it was just dust with clay bar and light compound.

Umyaya

Clay bar and some mild rubbing compound.

I had some heavy over spray on my Bandit from a previous owner. Came off like it was just dust with clay bar and light compound.

I'll try it. The fz8 tanks are plastic and bandits metal right? Will that matter ?