hats in restaurant..

Mrpacis

y don't you bring the horses back into the stable and feed them for a little while fella.

It's not a matter of minding my own business, but if you couldn't tell, i did. Had i not, then i guess i would've said something to him. Or i would've meddled in the argument at the table to the right of us.

It's annoying simply b/c i believe its bad manners. I guess there's a time and place for everything and sometimes, the very little things have big impact in our society. For example, the policing theory behind community policing entails tackling the very little "quality of life issue", i.e, pissing in public, squeggey men, loitering etc, for the sake of setting standards within the community. the theory goes if you take care of the small issues, the big issues will start to disappear (hopefully).

And...i wasn't talking crap about this guy. i didn't say anything negative other than i thought it was rude that he was wearing a hat in a restaurant.

I agree. I'm not sure why djk is getting mad about this. It's just adults giving out opinions no need to attack people.

Mrpacis

I don't wear hats. That said, I couldn't care less if somebody else does while eating. Other than having been taught that it is "wrong" - what's wrong with it?

Nobody said it was wrong. Just saying that it's not polite. When people eat they show respect by taking off their hats. Atleast that is how I was taught.

Mrpacis

I'm not a fan of wearing hats inside, out to dinner or anywhere bar outside activities.
I was brought up to show respect and remove my hat but I'm not really bothered by people's lack of common sense and respect.

Everyone's entitled to their ignorance I guess?

I like the last part :)

BIGpanda

He's not mad, he is just perplexed to why someone would start an entire thread about people wearing hats inside. That's like me making a thread about adding salt to my boiling pasta or not.. it's stupid.

Mrpacis

He's not mad, he is just perplexed to why someone would start an entire thread about people wearing hats inside. That's like me making a thread about adding salt to my boiling pasta or not.. it's stupid.

There is nothing perplexed about his statement. More like aggrevated annoyed but definitely not confused. He even made a statement about personally and intentionally annoying someone. That's an attack. Attack I tells ya :)

Danger

I understand the OP's point, and the words "respect" and "disrespect" have come up several times in this thread. So let's be specific, what is disrespectful about wearing a hat in a restaurant? I understand the history part (it used to be frowned upon), but do we know why? Why does it supposedly show disrespect?

Also, we should answer this without devolving into quality of life, back in my day, or just sposeta be that way type answers.

H

Hoover

I understand the OP's point, and the words "respect" and "disrespect" have come up several times in this thread. So let's be specific, what is disrespectful about wearing a hat in a restaurant? I understand the history part (it used to be frowned upon), but do we know why? Why does it supposedly show disrespect?

Also, we should answer this without devolving into quality of life, back in my day, or just sposeta be that way type answers.

However, before the American dining experience became more about "how much shit can I fit on my plate", than " this food actualy tastes like good food", if you pissed someone off in a saloon, they would shoot you.
It appears we have progressed.
Except for one thing....why on earth do people put Jello and custard on the same plate as their meat and veg??? Jello is a frigging dessert...put it on its own plate. Oh, and you have a knife and fork to use for the entire first course. Why on earth are you hacking all your food up into bite size portions when you get it , then shoveling in with your fork?

lyric911

Nobody said it was wrong. Just saying that it's not polite. When people eat they show respect by taking off their hats. Atleast that is how I was taught.

What is impolite or disrespectful about a hat though?

I listed some other rude things that have good reasons. The hat things seems so arbitrary. Again I'd like to note I have no horse in this race, I don't even wear hats. Just have been curious about this for years.

Mrpacis

What is impolite or disrespectful about a hat though?

I listed some other rude things that have good reasons. The hat things seems so arbitrary. Again I'd like to note I have no horse in this race, I don't even wear hats. Just have been curious about this for years.

It's just proper etiquette. It's customary to take your hat off when you go to church or when flag is raised. Men take off their hats when they sit at a table with women around to show respect. It's just a sign of respect. Like I said that's how I was brought up. For example chewing with yourouth close that sort of thing. Everyone has their own opinion. I don't expect you to understand where I am coming from due to the fact that I was taught different from you. I was brought up to be respectful. Not talk back to elders. Chew with my mouth close. Elbows off the table when eating. Take my hat off when going to other peoples house. When meeting my friends parents I take my hat off as a sign of respect. I hope that helps.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I really could care less about a hat in a restaurant. What bothers me more is people that leave their hats on during the National Anthem.

This to me is disrespectful but I'm a patriotic kind of guy

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Wolf_Hook

It's just proper etiquette. It's customary to take your hat off when you go to church or when flag is raised. Men take off their hats when they sit at a table with women around to show respect. It's just a sign of respect. Like I said that's how I was brought up. For example chewing with yourouth close that sort of thing. Everyone has their own opinion. I don't expect you to understand where I am coming from due to the fact that I was taught different from you. I was brought up to be respectful. Not talk back to elders. Chew with my mouth close. Elbows off the table when eating. Take my hat off when going to other peoples house. When meeting my friends parents I take my hat off as a sign of respect. I hope that helps.

Well, you can't expect people to abide by your customs. I understand you were just "raised that way" but hell a lot of people are raised with weird customs, some people find it rude to not take your shoes off at the door. You live in America the worlds mixing pot, that's partially the beauty of it. You get to experience other people customs and cultures or lack there of.

Just because you don't agree with some thing or it offends you doesn't make them wrong. Some people eat with their hat on big deal, some people also don't use the god damn salad fork for salads and the soup spoons for soup but I don't bitch about their lack of dining etiquette.

Mrpacis

Well, you can't expect people to abide by your customs. I understand you were just "raised that way" but hell a lot of people are raised with weird customs, some people find it rude to not take your shoes off at the door. You live in America the worlds mixing pot, that's partially the beauty of it. You get to experience other people customs and cultures or lack there of.

Just because you don't agree with some thing or it offends you doesn't make them wrong. Some people eat with their hat on big deal, some people also don't use the god damn salad fork for salads and the soup spoons for soup but I don't bitch about their lack of dining etiquette.

I don't expect people to abide b my customs. I made that clear when I said I was brought up this way. And I never said it was wrong I just said its not polite. And yes I know I live in America. Yes it's a melting pot. But I'm not sure if you have your facts straight but americans have great manners. It's started way back in the history of America. People take their hats off as a sign of respect. And I'm not bitching. A fellow member ask for opinions so I gave mine. Noone is bitching here. And also a fellow member asked me what reasons I have why I thought it was impolite to have a hat on while at a table in a restaurant and I just simple answered an told him the reason. Some people are just ignorant don't you agree? I hope you catch my drift.

lyric911

I genuinely hope I'm not coming across as an ass, I'm truly just curious and trying to be respectful in my inquiries.

Chewing with your mouth closed as polite. That one I understand. Chewed up food and chewing sounds are gross to most people. That's a valid "why" that makes sense to everyone on some level.

Nobody has ever been able to give me an equivalent "why" for hats indoors (or during the national anthem for that matter) that isn't some version of "I was raised that way" or "It's just respectful." Perhaps I'll phrase the question another way. If taking off the hat is respectful, what about keeping it on is disrespectful?

Alternatifly, why is keeping your socks on not disrespectful? Or glasses? Or any other random garment. It's just so arbitrary. Maybe I feel disrespected by left shoelaces during brunch. See what I'm getting at? A piece of fabric designed for the head is still just a piece of fabric. What makes that piece of fabric special compared to another piece of fabric for a different body part?

(Really, not trying to ruffle feathers. I promise. On that subject, I think some people in here could be a bit more respectful with their tone during disagreement.)

Last edited: