fz1 shock

Sinooch

i want to install an fz1 shock in my bike. I've heard its an improvement from the fz8 rear shock and its a cheaper temporary then going aftermarket for the time being. I just wanted to hear other peoples on opinions on who has done this mod and what year fz1's would fit in our bike. I know that they have different generations so i was not sure if that played much of a difference. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Sinooch

I was also wondering about doing the r1 shock. but I know that some kind of adapter is needed for it to fit right and same thing goes about which years would and wouldn't work. Any help on this would also be appreciated

Umyaya

I think the R1 adapter is like a Satan adapter or something... could be wrong. Google FZ1 shock in FZ8 and tons of threads come up.. It is pretty simple I think a guy on here just talked about how he switched out a 09 fz1 shock into his fz8 last weekend.

cmurder

Pillion
for the 2007/08 R1 shock you need the V4 adapter from satan666 on the FZ1 forum , 09 and up do not fit as of yet

ALL 06 and up FZ1 shocks are direct swap

Jubby

cmurder is dead right... adapter is needed.

04 - 06 R1 suspension wil also fit however you don't get the extra low speed adjustment on the rear shock that the 07 - 08 adjustment offers. I have just picked up an R1, 08 rear shock which i will be installing in the next couple of weeks once the adapters are back in production. ETA is around 3 - 4 weeks for the adapter.

I will let you know how it feels once it is installed.

i will then have a FZ 8 rear shock with 2000miles (my Shock) on it for sale and a FZ1 rear shock with approx 4000 miles on it for sale. (this is my dad's shock he now runs a nitron and loves it!!).

The FZ1 rear shock is up for grabs now.... Our prices down here are generally nowhere as good a yours guys and shipping is usually around $80 to the USA. with tracking.

I am looking for $150 for the shock - Australian Dollar. plus the cost of shipping to where ever that maybe..

Jubby

Sorry guys the shock is up for $120 plus shipping.....

i will then have a FZ 8 rear shock with 2000miles (my Shock) on it for sale and a FZ1 rear shock with approx 4000 miles on it for sale. (this is my dad's shock he now runs a nitron and loves it!!).

The FZ1 rear shock is up for grabs now.... Our prices down here are generally nowhere as good a yours guys and shipping is usually around $80 to the USA. with tracking.

I am looking for $150 for the shock - Australian Dollar. plus the cost of shipping to where ever that maybe..[/QUOTE]

cmurder

Pillion
cmurder is dead right... adapter is needed.

04 - 06 R1 suspension wil also fit however you don't get the extra low speed adjustment on the rear shock that the 07 - 08 adjustment offers. I have just picked up an R1, 08 rear shock which i will be installing in the next couple of weeks once the adapters are back in production. ETA is around 3 - 4 weeks for the adapter.

I will let you know how it feels once it is installed.

I am looking for $150 for the shock - Australian Dollar. plus the cost of shipping to where ever that maybe..

you will love it mate, you will have to redo your forks either new springs or FZ1 cartridges just fyi

cmurder

Pillion
btw if you visit the dark side I have a how to with pics for the R1 shock install and rectifier relocation and troubleshooting

Sinooch

Thanks for the help. Yea im a heavy guy so ive already understood that i will have to buy a heaver rear spring and front spring. i used the race tech spring calculator to figure out which ones i needed

Jubby

btw if you visit the dark side I have a how to with pics for the R1 shock install and rectifier relocation and troubleshooting

Dark side FZ! forum??

I wil have a look for it thank mate. Doesn't seem too tricky got me a grinder and a big lump hammer. if that dont work nothing will LOL!

Should i upgrade the springs in the front before as i upgrade the Rear shock or will it be okay till funds come available?

pigdog

its good to read that all you are addressing the suspension. a stage5 shock ($900) & ohlins fgk218 fork kit ($1,871) made a big change in how the bike takes a pothole & on the 101 it makes for a smooth ride.

cmurder

Pillion
Dark side FZ! forum??

I wil have a look for it thank mate. Doesn't seem too tricky got me a grinder and a big lump hammer. if that dont work nothing will LOL!

Should i upgrade the springs in the front before as i upgrade the Rear shock or will it be okay till funds come available?

thats up to you but you will feel how crappy the front is even more, I went stock , then stock front with FZ1 rear , then fz1 front and rear , then fz1 front with R1 rear , got a pro setup and its all gravy now

Jubby

Well i reckon around christmas i wil have my hands on some FZ1 front fork springs will this be sufficient??? As long as it is setup properly.

PIGDOG you must have an understandiong wife or mujst be single with no kids because my wife would not stop laughing if i said i was spending $1,800 on suspemnsion that in her head is 'perfectly fine as it is, yamaha would not bring a bike out that is unsafe, nor should you be testing the bikes limit like, be responsible, your a father, grow up', etc etc etc....!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a wife and kids and she is fine with that i do not want to know about it......

Umyaya

I would have probably got a different bike if i did a 2 grand suspension upgrade. Do you mean fz1 internals with progressive fork Springs ? Or literally just the springs from the fz1 forks? Or the full fz1 forks?

Jubby

Okay you know more about this than me about. He is probably gunna spend around $600 on his Fz1 so i hope to 'borrow' what my old man replaces. Im guessing for that he should replace the internals???? What are internals lol

cmurder

Pillion
Depends on how you ride. But the fz1 is a great cheap easy upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmurder

Pillion
And yes the fork cartridges from a fz1 is a direct swap. If you have a 2013 fz8 just get some heavier springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk