Engine upgrade

Ben1105

I actually really like the idea of boring it out to a 1000, but then again I've wanted an r1 since I got my 8.

S

Shock

Personally I'm not a fan of the really high rpm in order to hit the power band. After reading everybody's post I'm going to mod this engine out over time I'm in no hurry. Also I live the look of this bike vs the super sports. With that said I hate it being a cookie cutter bike so I'm going to mod it into my own streetfighter and lose the cookie cutter aspects behind as much as possible.

master paper clip

Personally I'm not a fan of the really high rpm in order to hit the power band. After reading everybody's post I'm going to mod this engine out over time I'm in no hurry. Also I live the look of this bike vs the super sports. With that said I hate it being a cookie cutter bike so I'm going to mod it into my own streetfighter and lose the cookie cutter aspects behind as much as possible.

That the beauty off cross plane tech, it dosnt just have a mid and high rpm rang, thing tosses out torqure through the entire power band, low end torque like a v-twin and hi hp like a supersport, but again its all about personal preference, I'd do it just to have this bikes looks with that sound

FZER

Avid Rider
I heard an 2010 or 2011 R1 go by me the other day without any slip-ons and I, well you know, all over myself!!!!

:eek::D;)

FZER

Avid Rider
To me it's like a Harley/Ducati sound all mixed together and the best of both worlds. Going to the Harley drag racing nationals and hearing those bikes turning 10grand it pretty close.

FZER

Avid Rider
I had the chance to ride this thing a few weeks ago, with the throaty GYTR exhaust... I'm still shaking... The front wheel didn't want to stay on the ground at 100mph in second gear (on closed course of course)...

Love it. You probably weren't even trying to pull the front tire off the ground. ;) I won't let myself ride a 1000+ just because I know I'll be a total asre, would be forced to buy one, most likely die on it, and lose half my sh-t in the divorce.

Guillaume

Love it. You probably weren't even trying to pull the front tire off the ground. ;) I won't let myself ride a 1000+ just because I know I'll be a total asre, would be forced to buy one, most likely die on it, and lose half my sh-t in the divorce.

I like the order in which you state stuff, from best to worst: first you'll die, then you'll divorce...
I wasn't trying to lift the wheel no! At 110 there's a bright white light that came on telling me: "Come on Guillaume, there are 4 more gears to go through, time to shift into third..."
The engine is astounding, but I hated the bike (first time riding a sport bike). I couldn't turn the thing comfortably (probably comes with practice), my wrists couldn't wait for me to get home and my crotch has never been so hot. But it made me want to get an FZ1 eventually.

i have been talking to a local guy who is heavy into motorcycle engine modifications he was telling me that he came across a build for the fz8 and it will give it as much hp as an fz1 he said he would forward the parts list to me when he finds it again ... he was saying from what he could remember it was a new cam and a different sprocket and a few other mods when i hear back from him i will definitely post it

FZER

Avid Rider
I like the order in which you state stuff, from best to worst: first you'll die, then you'll divorce...
I wasn't trying to lift the wheel no! At 110 there's a bright white light that came on telling me: "Come on Guillaume, there are 4 more gears to go through, time to shift into third..."
The engine is astounding, but I hated the bike (first time riding a sport bike). I couldn't turn the thing comfortably (probably comes with practice), my wrists couldn't wait for me to get home and my crotch has never been so hot. But it made me want to get an FZ1 eventually.

LOL! Yeah it would be one hell of a ride till all the shit hit the fan.

S

Shock

i have been talking to a local guy who is heavy into motorcycle engine modifications he was telling me that he came across a build for the fz8 and it will give it as much hp as an fz1 he said he would forward the parts list to me when he finds it again ... he was saying from what he could remember it was a new cam and a different sprocket and a few other mods when i hear back from him i will definitely post it

Would love to see that list

S

Shock

I hope to mod the FZ8 engine up to 120-140hp. I know that's a big range but I'm easy to please.

F

Fazed

It'll be cheaper to get a FZ1 engine than to mod the FZ8 engine to be an FZ1 engine.

S

Shock

If I had that kinda cash I would buy one and turn it into a street fighter. I can mod up over time and for way less money

master paper clip

It will cost me less money for the suspension and the motor then for a new r1, plus it will just be another r1 where my way it will be unique and 100% something I built with my own hands, I take more pride in my work over something I bought

C

Camo

It'd be cheaper to buy an fz1, upgrade suspension and do an fz8 headlight/front end type conversion wouldn't it?
I'm just say'n, not trying to stomp on your future plans dude.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how dropping in an r1 motor and modding everything to suit plus ohlins suspension is going to be viable on a budget or cheaper than picking up a used R1?
Not that I've done up a list of parts needed/machined and priced it all up plus any labour costs incurred along the way....?

F

Fazed

It'd be cheaper to buy an fz1, upgrade suspension and do an fz8 headlight/front end type conversion wouldn't it?
I'm just say'n, not trying to stomp on your future plans dude.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how dropping in an r1 motor and modding everything to suit plus ohlins suspension is going to be viable on a budget or cheaper than picking up a used R1?
Not that I've done up a list of parts needed/machined and priced it all up plus any labour costs incurred along the way....?

Of course this is from my perspective. I got my FZ8 for around $6k cheaper than an FZ1, that's alot of cash I can sink into this bike. Most of the work I do myself, so labour charges are minimal. I keep my bikes for an average of 7 years, so by that time an FZ1 would be close to the same value as an FZ8 on the second hand market. I don't like the look of an R1, I could streetfighter it but then your back to buying an FZ1 as it would be the cheaper option.

To be honest the likely hood of me putting an R1 motor in this bike is minimal but the possibility remains if I can get what I want for the right price. Even then it will stay in the shed until this motor has had it's day.

master paper clip

But a fz1 doesn't make the same noise as the r1 that's more what I'm after, I looked at the frames and the motor hooks up to both frames on the back at the same point but the front Mount is different, the front mount on the r1 mounts in front of the head and the fz8 mounts behind the head... and this will be years down the road like when I can grab a used r1 engine for under a grand, and by then this will be my second or third bike, don't plan on ever selling this bike