Engine upgrade

S

Shock

Just curious if anyone has bored out or just flat out traded up to the 998cc engine the FZ1 uses? I'm not in the mind to do that now but maybe sometime in the future. Don't get me wrong I still find this bike plenty powerful. I just rode my buddy's Buell Lightning that has a stock 1203cc v-twin and it is a beast!

mrthompson

I was told by a buddy that rode mine I should start with cams before boring it out. I'm also interested in what it would take to replicate our engine to the r1.

master paper clip

That's my plan after I do the suspension mods to a full ohlins set up I'm gonna drop my engine and hopefully put a new R1 engine in its place, either direct replacement, or get someone to make some adapters to make it fit, the looks of this bike with the sound of that crossplane crank, gonna be in heaven

F

Fazed

The R1 motor from a 2004 to 2006 model 'should' drop straight in. I haven't done much research into this. I'm on the look out for a wrecked complete bike at the right price. That way I have the wiring loom and computer to get it running.

master paper clip

The R1 motor from a 2004 to 2006 model 'should' drop straight in. I haven't done much research into this. I'm on the look out for a wrecked complete bike at the right price. That way I have the wiring loom and computer to get it running.

Yes they woukd but Yamaha didn't introduce the engine with the cross plane crank till 2009 and that's the engine I would want, I found one with 1000 miles harness and ecu for 2500 but don't got that kind of cash just laying around

F

Fazed

Yes they woukd but Yamaha didn't introduce the engine with the cross plane crank till 2009 and that's the engine I would want, I found one with 1000 miles harness and ecu for 2500 but don't got that kind of cash just laying around

Didn't they do a completely new engine for that model? If so the engine mounting points will probably be different.

master paper clip

If it is I can get someone tomake a cradle that mounts to the engine and uses the fz8 mounting points, won't be easy or cheap but in the end I believe it will be worth it, 180hp and that amazing sound, sounds like a great idea to me

Guillaume

What is the benefit of the cross plane crank?

"Crossplane crankshaft technology proven in victory after victory on MotoGP® machines provides a high-tech uneven firing interval. Unlike typical inline-four engine design, where the two outer and two inner pistons move together in pairs with 180°intervals, the crossplane crankshaft has each connecting rod 90° with a unique firing order of 270° –180° – 90° – 180°. This overcomes the inherent fluctuations in inertial torque during each engine revolution, and the accompanying peaky torque characteristics. Instead, combustion torque continues to build, giving the rider more linear throttle response with awesome power and traction out of the corners."

Per Yamaha...

master paper clip

What is the benefit of the cross plane crank?

More power, better torque curve, cause of how the crank is designed the power delivery is very smooth and constant from 0 rpm up till redline, really is a great engine buil from Yamaha's years in moto gp resesrch, from what I've read there is no down fall, usually a bike either has a good mid and high rpm range like most super sports, or they have good low and mid range like our bikes. Plus if u havnt heard it look on YouTube for Yamaha r1 low mount, sounds brutal

Last edited:
F

Fazed

I was told by a buddy that rode mine I should start with cams before boring it out. I'm also interested in what it would take to replicate our engine to the r1.

The head is different. The R1 motor has 5 valves per cyclinder. Obviously the pistions and bore are different and I think the crank is different too. I belive it would be much easier just to get an R1 motor.

master paper clip

"Crossplane crankshaft technology proven in victory after victory on MotoGP® machines provides a high-tech uneven firing interval. Unlike typical inline-four engine design, where the two outer and two inner pistons move together in pairs with 180°intervals, the crossplane crankshaft has each connecting rod 90° with a unique firing order of 270° –180° – 90° – 180°. This overcomes the inherent fluctuations in inertial torque during each engine revolution, and the accompanying peaky torque characteristics. Instead, combustion torque continues to build, giving the rider more linear throttle response with awesome power and traction out of the corners."

Per Yamaha...

^ what he said

mrthompson

The head is different. The R1 motor has 5 valves per cyclinder. Obviously the pistions and bore are different and I think the crank is different too. I belive it would be much easier just to get an R1 motor.

Bummer. I guess the fz8 goes to the wife and I'll get a r1. Not that I need one, since I was running late to work and the 8 was more than willing to do what I wanted it to. ;);)

C

Camo

Why not buy an R1 and fit heli-bars or flat bar conversion for a more upright ride, rear sets with a lower setting for a touch more leg room and a cushy seat.... You'd have a comfy-ish ride with the r1 motor for less cost and farking around?

master paper clip

Why not buy an R1 and fit heli-bars or flat bar conversion for a more upright ride, rear sets with a lower setting for a touch more leg room and a cushy seat.... You'd have a comfy-ish ride with the r1 motor for less cost and farking around?

Cause I love this bikes looks a lot more then the r1, but that won't be for years, that's a project I wanna do just because I'll have a fz8 with that really nice engine, make my bike more unique

F

Fazed

Why do it the easy way?? I did think about streetfightering an R1. Like wfdowns, this would be a project years away when I have got my monies worth out of this motor.

D

DJK1505

Build your engine first. What mods do you have to yours? I have around 110hp I believe, I spank my buddies R6 with 135hp all day in the twisties. Not saying you will ever get the hp of an R1 out of this engine, but you will lose all your low end grunt. The R1 raps out at what 17K, makes power from about 9K up. They are awesome bikes, but depending on what you are ridiing its pretty hard to keep the bike above 10K rpms. Start with your PCV, intake, full exhaust, mod fllies, timing, quick turn throttle, then look into cams (think we will benifit from the FZ1 cams but have not found a cam designer to help me with the numbers), and see how happy you are then. At that point you should easily be around 125hp at the rear wheel. And all this power available below 11K, makes it nice for street riding and twisties. Now for a track environment an R1 would be tits!!!!!!!

master paper clip

Build your engine first. What mods do you have to yours? I have around 110hp I believe, I spank my buddies R6 with 135hp all day in the twisties. Not saying you will ever get the hp of an R1 out of this engine, but you will lose all your low end grunt. The R1 raps out at what 17K, makes power from about 9K up. They are awesome bikes, but depending on what you are ridiing its pretty hard to keep the bike above 10K rpms. Start with your PCV, intake, full exhaust, mod fllies, timing, quick turn throttle, then look into cams (think we will benifit from the FZ1 cams but have not found a cam designer to help me with the numbers), and see how happy you are then. At that point you should easily be around 125hp at the rear wheel. And all this power available below 11K, makes it nice for street riding and twisties. Now for a track environment an R1 would be tits!!!!!!!

Yes but that's why it will be years down the road, by then this would be my second bike, at that point its just about making it unique and rediculious, and really just so I can say I have a fz8 with full ohlins and a r1 engine, but Idk about the r1 engine not having a bottom end, Yamaha claims the design of the cross plane crank and the use of the big bang firing order the engine creates great low end and high end power, havnt ridden one yet to confirm, no dealer around me offers test rides on anything