ECU restriction in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Need help! (possible great idea)

MattMorton

Can some one confirm to me that there are indeed factory performance restrictions programmed into the ECU in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear?? IF SO, that means the bike has to have a selected gear sensor... Now, that being said why don't we find this alleged sensor and figure out the resistance figure it sends the ECU to indicate 4th, 5th, and 6th gear... If we can find that we can contruct a resistor box to fool the ECU into thinking its always in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. Booom! no more restrictions in our lower gears. AND HELL, while we're at it lets install a toggle switch into the junction between the OEM sensor and our resistor box. Can anyone say A mode, and B mode??? Just some thoughts this morning... I know an ECU flash is the no brainer way to do it. But this could be a fun little mod if we could figure it out. Let me know what ya'll think!! :D

A_G

Why would I want a and b mode ?
I want it to go all the time

And the gear indicator is probably not resistance based. It's probably a binary switch with either a detent or a excitor ring.

Neat idea but the cost of a reflash is so low, there's no real reason to trick the ecm

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MattMorton

I honestly probably wouldn't care about a B mode either. Just a little novel idea regarding that... And no matter how the gear indicator is set up, I'm pretty confident it would be simple to produce the signal we want. I hear ya on the ECU flash being the way to go. Just thought this could be a fun little afternoon mod, and you wouldn't have to deal with the bike being down while the ecu is out being flashed. :cool:

A_G

I don't you start playing with stuff like this, you produce the wrong signal and your replacing the ecu. I'll wait until we get to snowy part of the year and send it off.

Worse case you send it off now and pay for overnight your down 3-4 days

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MattMorton

Just thought of another reason to have the toggle if i do this. The neutral indicator likely wont work in "A mode" I'll have to look at it to see how its set up to know for sure. We don't get many snow days in South Florida, plus i like to think outside of the box sometimes. May be easy, may not be. we shall see.

9 Lives

Can some one confirm to me that there are indeed factory performance restrictions programmed into the ECU in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear?? IF SO, that means the bike has to have a selected gear sensor... Now, that being said why don't we find this alleged sensor and figure out the resistance figure it sends the ECU to indicate 4th, 5th, and 6th gear... If we can find that we can contruct a resistor box to fool the ECU into thinking its always in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear. Booom! no more restrictions in our lower gears. AND HELL, while we're at it lets install a toggle switch into the junction between the OEM sensor and our resistor box. Can anyone say A mode, and B mode??? Just some thoughts this morning... I know an ECU flash is the no brainer way to do it. But this could be a fun little mod if we could figure it out. Let me know what ya'll think!! :D

There is no gear indicator on this bike but the ECU could use the speed sensor and RPM to figure out what gear your in, the same idea as the aftermarket gear indicators. Personally I don't believe there is any restriction based on gear position, just ppl making a guess.

Last edited:

MattMorton

There is no gear indicator on this bike but the ECU could use the speed sensor and RPM to figure out what gear your in, the same idea as the aftermarket gear indicators. Personally I don't believe there is any restriction based on gear position, just ppl making a guess.

By doing a research I realize you're completely right on the lack of gear indicator. If the ECU does regulate ignition timing and secondary butterfly actuation by gear position it uses speed and rpm to figure it out... scrap that idea. Sounded like something fun to do first thing this morning though lol. thanks for your help.

NoNine4me

There are definitely restrictions in the first three gears and there are a few ways the bike's ECU can know what gear it's in, as was already mentioned. Some of us have had the ECU reflash done, me included (search up the lengthy write-up). The bike runs MUCH stronger across the board after the Guhl's reflash. Can't comment on anyone else's reflash but have heard similar results.

Umyaya

I honestly probably wouldn't care about a B mode either. Just a little novel idea regarding that... And no matter how the gear indicator is set up, I'm pretty confident it would be simple to produce the signal we want. I hear ya on the ECU flash being the way to go. Just thought this could be a fun little afternoon mod, and you wouldn't have to deal with the bike being down while the ecu is out being flashed. :cool:

Where can you get the bike reflashed? and is that something you need to bring the entire bike in.. or can you somehow get to the computer chip or whatever it is and send it in via mail?

D

Deleted member 3631

I was doing some research and yamaha has a thing set up called soft rev. I'm not sure much about it but that may have some restriction on the first gears.

Umyaya

I was doing some research and yamaha has a thing set up called soft rev. I'm not sure much about it but that may have some restriction on the first gears.

So how does one go about doing this? Do you need to contact the closest guhl shop and bring the bike in?

NoNine4me

So how does one go about doing this? Do you need to contact the closest guhl shop and bring the bike in?
Sorry, no, it's simple as pie. Pull out your ECU and send it to Guhls. There is just only the one shop, on the East Coast. They will ship it back to you overnight. It's $275 for the FZ8. So if you ship to them overnight, you will get it back within about 3-4 days tops. They will want to speak to you on the phone about your bike and such to get the right setup.

To remove it you have to pop the tank, remove the airbox, and deal with a few zipties and electrical connections. There may be a write-up on removal of the ECU somewhere on this site.