Blue/green substance coming out of the carter. What is it?

Bram

Hi,

For a few weeks nog, every now and then, there is this blue substance that's coming out of my carter.

What is it and can it hurt my bike?
Is this a symptom that something wrong with the bike?

I have no complaints about the bike. he runs smooth.

All help or info is appreciated :)

JSP

Administrator
WTH? You wash it off and it comes back? Only thing I can think of that would have color would be coolant drip from somewhere?

Bram

Yes it comes back every time I wash it off.
I thought the coolant at first too, but the level of the coolant stays the same. But just to be sure, I'll be taking a closer look at the coolant hoses tomorrow.

JSP

Administrator
Run over any smurfs? ;)

Pretty strange looking, that's for sure. Maybe they used a bit too much loctite on some bolts and that is what it is?

medivh66

Pillion
That look almost exactly like the coolant that was leaking out of my sv1000s. It may not take much for it to stain like that. might not even notice a drop in level fluid level. It concerns me that it appears to be coming from the oil pan. start removing body parts and see if you can see any staining higher up.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Given the density of the stain, I'd be willing to wager you've got a tiny spray (perhaps when temps are high), and that wind pushes it back towards the bolt hole, where wind vortices pick it up and spray it inside the hole.

What is that hose at the very front of the most colorful stain? Is that your culprit?

DanS

Commuter
I just went out and looked at mine. I don't know what it is, it looks to be coming out of the hole in the pan. No evidence of leakage around any of the cooling hoses or fittings and the coolant level is good.:confused:

DanS

Commuter
Given the density of the stain, I'd be willing to wager you've got a tiny spray (perhaps when temps are high), and that wind pushes it back towards the bolt hole, where wind vortices pick it up and spray it inside the hole.

What is that hose at the very front of the most colorful stain? Is that your culprit?
That's not a bolt hole, there is a small hole at the top. Maybe an overpressure relief hole?

DanS

Commuter
Hi,

For a few weeks nog, every now and then, there is this blue substance that's coming out of my carter.

Hey Bram, this doesn't look good:( Same thing going on here, thanks for posting this or I may have never noticed mine. I've been digging through the service manual and there is not a good written functional description, but by looking at the diagrams this is what I see... The oil pump and water pump are a combination unit, two pumps on a common shaft driven by a chain. The water pump and oil pump are separated by a water seal on the fwd side and an oil seal on the aft side. If either of the seals leaks past the shaft there is a shaft drain tube that drains out of the hole in the oil pan, this should prevent coolant from getting into the oil but if the drain tube seals leak we're in trouble :cry4: If you are still under warranty you should go to the dealer and have them replace the water/oil pump unit.

Bram

Thanks for the info danS. Its à strange thing.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact That the dealership overfilled my oil level. They overfilled And around my engine seals there was a little bit of oil coming thrue the seals. Maybe the overfilling triggered this green leak?

DanS, did you ever overfilled your bike? if not, we can exclusie this option i think (I'm not An engineer)

Greetings

Bram

So, i went to the dealer totdat And showed him the leakage.

He gave me exact the Same explanation as you did, DanS.
The oil pump And water pump are on THE Same shaft. And the drain hole prevents That coolant is coming in THE oil.
He told me That this is an issue with bikes which are standing still for a few years. Because of the ceramic seal that doesnt get rubbed in while driving.
And the dripping is only happening when the engine is cold and stalled in the garage. When you drive, the heat vaporises the water in the cooland, making it a green coloured substance.

I have checked this and it is correct. My dripping only happens when the engine is cold and parked in my garage.

I looked at brand new bikes in the shop with 0km. And some of them also had the same dripping issue. Fz8, fz1, R1

He ensured me that the dripping can not happen while driving due to the high pressure on the seals. Its a ceramic seal and the higher the engine temp, the better it seals.

My bike stood still for 2years before i bought it with 0km on it.
Thats why i have this issue.

He told me that its not a problem and i am not going to blow a seal while driving.

Hi,

Hey Bram, this doesn't look good:( Same thing going on here, thanks for posting this or I may have never noticed mine. I've been digging through the service manual and there is not a good written functional description, but by looking at the diagrams this is what I see... The oil pump and water pump are a combination unit, two pumps on a common shaft driven by a chain. The water pump and oil pump are separated by a water seal on the fwd side and an oil seal on the aft side. If either of the seals leaks past the shaft there is a shaft drain tube that drains out of the hole in the oil pan, this should prevent coolant from getting into the oil but if the drain tube seals leak we're in trouble :cry4: If you are still under warranty you should go to the dealer and have them replace the water/oil pump unit.

DanS

Commuter
So, i went to the dealer totdat And showed him the leakage.

He gave me exact the Same explanation as you did, DanS.
The oil pump And water pump are on THE Same shaft. And the drain hole prevents That coolant is coming in THE oil.
He told me That this is an issue with bikes which are standing still for a few years. Because of the ceramic seal that doesnt get rubbed in while driving.
And the dripping is only happening when the engine is cold and stalled in the garage. When you drive, the heat vaporises the water in the cooland, making it a green coloured substance.

I have checked this and it is correct. My dripping only happens when the engine is cold and parked in my garage.

I looked at brand new bikes in the shop with 0km. And some of them also had the same dripping issue. Fz8, fz1, R1

He ensured me that the dripping can not happen while driving due to the high pressure on the seals. Its a ceramic seal and the higher the engine temp, the better it seals.

My bike stood still for 2years before i bought it with 0km on it.
Thats why i have this issue.

He told me that its not a problem and i am not going to blow a seal while driving.

Thanks for the info Bram, Maybe it's not that big of an issue. I'll keep a close eye on mine and if it gets any worse I'll be tearing it apart and resealing the pump. The thought of antifreeze getting into the oil really bothers me!

Bram

I'll be keeping an eye on it too.

I wonder how many members here also have the same issue, and don't even know about it...

I don't think we are the only ones DanS :)

JSP

Administrator
Well that is not good.... Take it to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty if you can.

n8kdfz8

I'll be keeping an eye on it too.

I wonder how many members here also have the same issue, and don't even know about it...

I don't think we are the only ones DanS :)

I am happy someone posted this thread. I had the same issue to. Embarrased to say that I moved my bike in my garage, tripped over my kids darn bike bar handles (bicycle was upside down) and nearly dropped the bike when i tilted it to far left side with kick stand up! bike never hit the floor it layed on me. i brought it back upright and parked it. and noticed the coolant on the ground coming from same hole. fz8 only had about 80miles on her. but always kept an eye on coolant level. but was sure curious till this day what the heck caused it to do that. thanks for clearing that up guys!

FastZ8

I am curious if anyone ever figured out if this is a real problem or not and if warranty will cover it.I recently noticed my bike had a small amount of blue residue in the weep hole. Not enough to even make a spot on a floor or anything just a very small amount around the inside of the hole itself.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk