Blue/green substance coming out of the carter. What is it?

DanS

Commuter
Update: A few weeks after this thread started mine quit leaking, hasn't left a spot on the garage floor in about a year now. I was around 5k at the time and I'm at 11k now. My guess is that the seals just needed more breaking in.

NoNine4me

Update: A few weeks after this thread started mine quit leaking, hasn't left a spot on the garage floor in about a year now. I was around 5k at the time and I'm at 11k now. My guess is that the seals just needed more breaking in.
The water pump most likely uses a ceramic or other hard surfaced seal. It's just what you've been told, a bike that sits for a long time will develop sealing issues, usually from crystallization on the seal.

Oftentimes the seal will "reface" itself after a time. But a slight leakage like this is not usually a cause for concern. Just keep an eye on your coolant level.

Bikes that sit for long periods of time are going to have various problems like this. It's also very bad for the brake system, fuel system, and suspension (fork seals in particular).

FastZ8

Mine isn't leaking puddles or anything I just noticed a couple spots of dry blue residue inside the weep hole...Doesn't seem to be loosing coolant and oil level and quality looks spot on...I cleaned the blue spots off with a q tip"that's how small they were" and I'm going to run it for a few days and see what it does...If it continues I'm going to talk to my dealership about a warranty repair.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk