Airbox& Ais block

Cantfazeme_8

Have gotten my airbox out of bike, just wondering if I need to buy the ais block or if anyone just rigged something up for it? Also just wanted to know the easiest method of cutting out the airbox.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Have gotten my airbox out of bike, just wondering if I need to buy the ais block or if anyone just rigged something up for it? Also just wanted to know the easiest method of cutting out the airbox.

The AIS block offs are a little more involved than a lot of people let on but it's doable with patience.

The airbox can be cut with a dremel.

Block offs are only nessesary if you don't like the popping in the exhaust.

JSP

Administrator
You can do the block off yourself without the plates. Just unplug the connection to the valve. Then block off the tube that goes into the airbox from it. I used a wooden dowel section and worm clamped it in there and put the hose back. Worked great.

Block off plates are great to free up all the space that the AIS takes up. Makes working on the bike easier (spark plugs, valves, etc).

9 Lives

Here is a how to on the subject.

FZ8 airbox mod and AIS blocking.

I used the block off plates for the reason that JSP stated, I removed the rad when I did mine, made the job easy. Removing the rad was a PITA but the plates where easy.

Last edited:

DanS

Commuter

I just did mine over the weekend. After tearing everything apart I found out that my block off plates are on backorder so I temporarily plugged the reed valve covers with conical rubber plugs -3/8"x3/4".

frogger

I did mine yesterday but I didn't unplug the valve I just pluged the tube and airbox. is it required to unplug the valve ? I have noticed the bike has abit more pull down low now that I have done this. I have been running the airbox mod for awhile now but not the ais mod.

DanS

Commuter
I did mine yesterday but I didn't unplug the valve I just pluged the tube and airbox. is it required to unplug the valve ? I have noticed the bike has abit more pull down low now that I have done this. I have been running the airbox mod for awhile now but not the ais mod.
I think what you did is fine. I eliminated the whole system mainly because it was time for new spark plugs. The radiator needs to be displaced to get to the spark plugs, with the radiator hanging from the hoses and cooling fans removed the AIS system is easy to remove. With the AIS gone spark plugs are easier to change :)

Last edited:

Cantfazeme_8

Thanks for the help guys! I havnt got on in a couple days but this was very helpful. Im just doin a few mods for the summer, only got the bike new last year but ill post some pictures of it soon!

NoNine4me

The AIS block offs are a little more involved than a lot of people let on but it's doable with patience.

The airbox can be cut with a dremel.

Block offs are only nessesary if you don't like the popping in the exhaust.
Keep in mind what Don Guhls said; you block those off with a cat in place, it overheats and will eventually cause problems. That popping doesn't hurt a thing, it reminds me of a Merlin engine in the Spitfire when the pilot backs out of the throttle and those twelve little shorty stacks start spitting flame and backfiring.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Thx for that reminder for the OP.

I cut my cat out so luckily I don't have anything to worry about.

JDZIII

AIS BLOCK

This whole thing with the block off, the installation of the pc v auto tune instructs tell you to block it off. I'm taking it if u can tune your af then its ok to block this off. Anyone disagree?

9 Lives

I think we need to find out some more info before we worry about our cat overheating because we disable the AIS. Was this on every bike with a cat or just a particular bike that is having problems. What were the conditions when this happened, was the bike being rode like a raped ape in hot conditions ect ect. Was the A/F ratio on the rich side which will overheat a cat. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with their cat that have done the AIS mod on this bike but keep in mind this bike is 4 yrs old max and most do not have that many miles on them yet. I have seen a few cats on cars glowing red because they where running to rich. If this is just an assumption then it may or may not ever be a problem, I say lets wait and see but that's just my opinion.

The reason you need to disable the EIS with the auto tune is because the extra air pumped into you exhaust will knock of the readings by the O2 sensor and thereby not giving an accurate reading to the PCV. It has nothing to do with the popping and there is no reason to tune to compensate for the AIS mod.

If your really worried about it you can always gut the cat and when I say cat I mean catalytic converter not the family pet.

Last edited:

MotoZen

According to Don, it's not a problem with this bike, it's how the cat actually works. He was telling me that he has personally done it to drag cars and seen it on bikes. The popping is directly caused by air and fuel combustion in the cat. If you eliminate the air, the cat will overheat trying to burn just the fuel. I'd imagine that, by eliminating the air, you're forcing it to run rich. At least in the cat itself. He said that you don't hear about it very often with bikes because they tend to have a shorter lifespan. It will also take a long time for it to completely fuse shut, but performance will slowly degrade over time.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

JDZIII

AIS BLOCK

I think if you tune af then this wont happen. I plan on tuning it with the autotune before then after I place my cs one on. But also if you really think about, if you feel like this is happening it gives you an excuse to put on some race headers from akro, arrow or graves. Here in NJ they dont inspect bikes, so really I dont see any problem with that. Fyi I've found the price of some of them has gone down a bit and you can just get the akro headers alone without the full system which I find a better option bc it gives you more choices which I love cause it drives prices down and breeds competition.

Cantfazeme_8

hey guys, got the airbox cut out and got the k&n ordered. Did not gut cat or block off ais. Programmer is soon to come, at least before i take it for a run. So with this setup along with the slip on i already have, ill install jumbo map and it should be alight?

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
hey guys, got the airbox cut out and got the k&n ordered. Did not gut cat or block off ais. Programmer is soon to come, at least before i take it for a run. So with this setup along with the slip on i already have, ill install jumbo map and it should be alight?

You'll be fine, have fun!

Depending on your miles..... Change plugs for the new tune and then 3k miles from now, you will know what the tune is doing to your afr's

9 Lives

According to Don, it's not a problem with this bike, it's how the cat actually works. He was telling me that he has personally done it to drag cars and seen it on bikes. The popping is directly caused by air and fuel combustion in the cat. If you eliminate the air, the cat will overheat trying to burn just the fuel. I'd imagine that, by eliminating the air, you're forcing it to run rich. At least in the cat itself. He said that you don't hear about it very often with bikes because they tend to have a shorter lifespan. It will also take a long time for it to completely fuse shut, but performance will slowly degrade over time.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Not sure why you would have a cat on a drag car, the environmentally friendly NHRA drag weekend? Anyway, the cat uses a chemical reaction to convert the bad stuff to not so bad stuff. The extra oxygen helps this process which also creates heat this extra heat causes the fuel to burn when it hits the honeycomb. On some cars they pump air directly into the cat, just some UFI.