What was your close 2nd choice to the FZ8?

Tango59

Waiting on the 2013 FZ8... In 08 the choice was between an FZ1 and the Bandit 1250. I went with the Bandit and had planned to convert it to a naked. The Bandit is a good all around bike but it's heavy and to tell the truth kinda boring. When the FZ8 came out, I fell in love with it. A couple of months ago I was gonna pick up a new 2011 FZ8 but decided to wait and see if the 2013 FZ8 was gonna be upgraded. My 2013 is on the way.

one_fast_ls1

I was torn between the R6- which was my dream bike for years, and my FZ8- which I fell in love with last year. I went with the FZ mainly because of the comfort. The plan is to get an R1 or something similar later down the road. Maybe a 'Busa.

FZ8 for comfort cruising, and R1 for more "spirited" riding. :)

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I want both really.

Sent from my iPhone using a ham sandwich.

Here in the Okanagan, everyone rides a Harley. One of my employees has a 2005 Road King, all chromed up, nice to look at, but after we switched bikes for an hour, i know i will never throw a leg over a Harley again, and he is selling it for a Yamaha now. His bike handled like a tank and vibrated my arms so bad they were numb. To each thier own.

BIGpanda

My dad has a Harley which I ride from time to time. It's good for what it's built for and I like the change of pace

decooney

Really liking my 1st Choice - FZ8!

I've only had my new FZ8 now for a month, and have to say I'm very pleased with its overall design and function so far. Getting back to street after a long gap riding dirt and dual sport again. Now with the FZ8 I find that I don't miss any of my former bikes including prior Yamaha RDs, Ninja sport bikes, Triumphs, or my former bad ass custom Harley Fat boy that I rode quite a bit. Once the cool factor was over, I was done with the Harley. It was okay but not nearly as fun to ride - not even close. The FZ8 is so easy, fun, and very tempting to ride more often than my prior road bikes. I judge how much I like a bike based on how much I really get out and ride it. Still ride dirt and dual sport as my #1 passion after 48 years, but I gotta say the FZ8 really fills the void in between for me especially for those short rides during the week after work. Looked at a lot of Euro and Japanese bikes before making this purchase. Came very close to a Ducati since I own and like Italian bikes quite a bit. In the end, I came back full circle to the FZ8. Maybe its just me, but it seems like the FZ8 is a bit under-rated or maybe even a bit misunderstood by some. I've let a few friends ride it and they were sort of surprised by it and really liked how it looks once they saw it in person - especially after I got rid of the trailer hitch on back and put a light/plate kit on the rear. So far I think its a great value and glad I did not go for the exotics this time. If this bike holds up well, I may keep it for quite some time. Each day I like it more and more. Even after buying it, I continue to look around and compare and can't really find something that fits as well as the FZ8 does for me. Thumbs up all the way! :D

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
My dad has a Harley which I ride from time to time. It's good for what it's built for and I like the change of pace

If you can have 2 or more bikes, ya i can see having a Harley for a change of pace once in awhile. I do know several guys that rode nothing but Harleys most of thier life ,and after trying a metric cruiser they wondered why they never tried anything before. Have you thought about a Victory bike, they are much better quaility than a Harley, but look similar enough that people think you are a bad a$$ biker on it.

BIGpanda

You don't buy a Harley for the quality, you buy it because your dad has one, and his dad had one, and so on a so forth. Also so you can wear assless chaps.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Another Harley experience that turned me off was last spring when my friend James ,who i rode with several times last summer when he had an old Virago, bought a new Harley. He wouldn't ride with me and a few friends this year. Aftyer turning us down 4 times, i asked him why he wasn't riding much. He replied "I ride a Harley now, so i ride with a different group". Well last August i happen to be out riding over Green Mountain Rd, at the bottom of the mountain is a gas station, i saw James and a few others on thier Harley's, gassing up, i pulled in to say hi, and got this cold shoulder. I said" James we been friends too long for you to act this way towards me, i would like to join you guys for the ride over the mountain". One of the other guys said sure, he can ride with us. We rode to the Apex Lodge at the top of the hill, me in the rear. When we stopped the top ,had a lunch break, two of the bearded Harley guys were drooling over my bike( 2012 Flat black Vmax i was on that day), both asked what brand the bike was, i proudly said Yamaha. Hmmm, siad one, i guess the Japs can build a nice looking bike. After showing them a few 200ft rolling burnouts, i have been phoned several times to be invited on rides with them. Never went out with them again, they are too slow LOL.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I want both really.

In my cross hairs, I've always wanted one and the z too small to haul two big ass's. and I have the really fun half now. I think it will be great to have the best of both worlds

decooney

BW,

Interesting story and experience. I remember when I was on Harley's and how some guys acted towards other bikes and bikers. Been there, done that. It was stupid and boring, and part of the reason I got away from it - just want to ride and could care less about image or having an attitude. My next cruiser will not be another Harley unless they come out with a future V-Rod more like a VMax is today. Chances are, I'll be getting a V-Max or a Victory. I don't own one now, but to me the VMax is something very special. Very cool bike. The FZ8 has made me re-appreciate and rediscover Yamaha design and quality on the road products side of the house. Strangely enough, when people see my FZ8 some say it sort of reminds them of a VMax. Maybe its some of the signature design queues that Yamaha carries over from one line to the next.

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
No offence but 98 HP in a 850 lb machine, after riding an FZ8 with 96 hp and 450 lbs, ya BORING is right. Even though Harleys are slow slugs, if they handled well they could be fun, but slow and crappy handling, with an lawn mower ,pushrod, air cooled engine, yeeesh. At least they have fuel injection now, oh right so does my new Lawn tractor :rolleyes:

As for having two comfy seats for touring, there are at least 20 bikes out there that are more comfy and handle better than any Harley..

Last edited:

decooney

Pappa FZ8!

For you FZ8 owners who also own or want a new VMax too as your first or second choice, check this out.

Sort of looks like these guys are trying to make the VMax into a lean muscle pappa version of the FZ8. Cool video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anPZV72dqyU&feature=related"]Yamaha Vmax Hyper Modified.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Being an owner of a 2012 Vmax and member of the Vmax Community , i have seen this bike(Roland Sands ). Too hunched over for me but the look is too cool. No modifications to the engine on this bike all astetics. As you can see and as Roland suggest after working with hundreds of bikes and brands , the Yamaha Vmax is as hi tech from the factory as bikes get presently, and the quality and craftsmanship is second to none, says a lot for Yamaha. My bike is being customized as we speak, will be done in 2 months, i will post a few pics in this thread for you. Even though Roland Sands thinks the Vmax has more than enough power stock, i will be adding a few more ponies as well. The nice thing about the new Vmax is it handles like a sport bike now.The Vmax is truly a bike in its own class, look and power wise now, has always been king of the muscle bikes ,only the new Gen is more powerful and handles 100% better.

My first mod: Yamaha Race ECU, overflashed by the Vmax performance Guru Tim Nash. 200 hp to the rear, ya it fuckin rips. Custom Airbrush work is in progress, will be done Dec 15th or so.

Not exactly sure how the tail section will turn out, has to be functional for a passenger(wife). Time will tell

Last edited:

e11charlie

I think if I were to ever go back to a cruiser-ish bike it would be a Diavel. I've owned a Harley, not impressed.

F

Fazed

So what category is the Vmax?? it's not a cruiser, It's not a sports bike. If it wasn't for the really small fuel tank I'd have one.