What was your close 2nd choice to the FZ8?

Glovik

i.e. we'll be searching out more of the foothill type curvy roads with low speed turns and staynig off freeways as much as possible.

Don't be afraid of the freeways! Just because the 8 carves canyons like a beast doesn't mean it's afraid to rip down the freeway with ease. Most people assume the bike is very windy, but it's really not so bad. Tucking down I can escape a lot of it with our dash lol.

I don't have a definite 2nd choice, as I wasn't even looking into buying a new bike until I spotted the 8, but maybe a new R1. Love that crossplane! But not the price. I am truly 150% happy with the 8 and wouldn't change it out if I could... Unless for a new R1 at the same price, but I'd still have to sleep on it and ask my body if the aches are worth it.

C

Camo

I test rode a new R1 earlier today amongst a few others, it was a 10 minute haul through traffic to get to the twisty bits but that 10 minutes felt like 30. A precision instrument on the good stuff but for an everyday bike, not for me. I actually think its probably to much for road use...for me anyway. It's a 'go directly to jail' bike lol as was the Blackbird.
The GSXR-750 felt better to me or more suited for road use/everyday use/few track days a year.
Also rode one of those semi faired ninja 1000's, that's not a bad bike at all! Had a 2 into 1 akro system and ohlins on the back..... 3000kms on the clock, price was comparable to a new 8 here in Oz.

I'm happy with my 8 though.

lance2448

Well....my second choice was between the Vstrom 1000 and Tiger 800....but then I realized for all the types of riding I do...there isn't really 1 bike that I'd be happy with that can do it all.

So my first choice ended up being to get the FZ8 for city/street/commuting/going-way-too-fast riding, and then getting a small dirt bike for the rest. Haven't decided which, but my first choice was to get 2 bikes then I guess? lol

decooney

Well....my second choice was between the Vstrom 1000 and Tiger 800....but then I realized for all the types of riding I do...there isn't really 1 bike that I'd be happy with that can do it all.

So my first choice ended up being to get the FZ8 for city/street/commuting/going-way-too-fast riding, and then getting a small dirt bike for the rest. Haven't decided which, but my first choice was to get 2 bikes then I guess? lol

About three solid years of weekends riding mountain single track dirt and dual sport runs, on a rainy weekend we ran buy a Yamaha dealer instead of going riding in dirt. I sat on the FZ8 and told my buddy, this is the next bike for me. I knew it the first time I saw it and sat on one. There was a Yamaha Super T sitting next to it, but was too big and it took us back to the possibility of getting "adventure bikes" since we typically do a lot more dirt than street. Or that was the thought at that time. Looking for value and less cost, we both targeted the VStrom too. We came very close to buying a pair of VStroms until I read many posts from people who loved the bikes for doing a lot well, but not really great at anything. Found many posts (in their words) indicating "how BORING" it is to ride them for fun only. I started really thinking about how much I would actually ride the VStrom on dirt roads, maybe what..5% of the time on some back fire roads, maybe. After two rides I'd probably be upgrading suspension, and too much to make something it was not really intended for. So, hmmm figuring maybe 5% dirt and the stated "boring" factor on the VStrom would probably make for just an okay upright street bike. Six months later started all over on the research again, looking at something cool and mellow like maybe a Triumph Thruxton, had fun looking at Moto Guzzi V7s and Grisos, which then led me to Ducati again thinking about Hypermotards and the S2R Monsters. After about 30 days solid of reading forums and complaints and feedback, decided this time I was not going to buy something I had to wrench on a lot or worry about much mechanically. Been there done that, not this time. Already have that with other cars and bikes. This time it was going to be the best value with the most fun factor and it had to be dead reliable. Went off on a tangent trying to find and buy a nice older SV650 naked. Stopped there once I realized the price of a new Z8 as compared to older used bikes. Again, "best value", so back to the FZ8 and within a week my buddy and I bought a pair of them.

Black Widow's photo on the previous page of this thread caught my attention. It shows the FZ8 can do about what I would have used the VStrom for anyhow. Glad I saw this photo. It inspired me and reconfirmed the FZ8 will do what I need for short runs and maybe a longer one once in a while.

This is a great forum. You guys are interactive. Very cool. Its a great place to bounce thoughts and ideas off of. I'm probably making posts because I don't have the bike yet, with last minute thoughts. My FZ8 came out of a box last night. Its getting built today, and I'll have it by 5pm. My posts will fade for while now. Here comes the 600 mile break-in period.

Last edited:

dtbrown

The bike I was really interested in isn't in the States. Suzuki GSR 750. Pretty sick bike. Closest thing to it was the FZ8

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T60kcAjkAns]2011-2012 Suzuki GSR 750 introduction official video - YouTube[/ame]

Gsr750 | 2012 | Sport Sport Touring | Road | Suzuki Motorcycles, Motorbikes & ATVs Australia

Curious to hear from others on this site who seriously researched and demo'd other bikes before making that final decision on the FZ8 over others. I see a lot of posts about FZ1 vs. FZ8, yes, and this makes sense to struggle over since its in the same family. I'm assuming some bought the FZ8 regardless of price, and maybe just because they liked it better than another bike for specific function or performance reasons.

What was your close 2nd choice to the FZ8, and what was that final deciding factor that told you, "YES, the FZ8 is THE bike for me" ?

Zeitgeist

Ducati monster. I nearly got myself the 796 but couldn't justify spending that much money on a bike that is so expensive to maintain. I still think it's the sexiest bike ever designed though!

Also the husqvarna nuda 900r... Apparently I have weird taste :p

Eagle

I was going for the classic ER6N, being a new rider, but my friends showed me a good FZ8 at a good price.

I thought that the look was nicer than the ER6, more power, more "durability".

The choice was made.

F

Fazed

I was going for the classic ER6N, being a new rider, but my friends showed me a good FZ8 at a good price.

I thought that the look was nicer than the ER6, more power, more "durability".

The choice was made.

Personally, I think you made a great choice to get an FZ8 over an ER6 :)

Eagle

Well, 3 of my friends had an ER6, they all said that it's a great bike, but they kept it about a year, or a year and a half.

I decided that if I take an FZ8, I'll keep it longer than that.

But the main problem was insurance, they don't like new riders with bikes over 600cc.

AlCab

I am enjoying reading everyone's stories that eventually led them to the 8. I had been out of motorcycling for about 10 years (last bike was a CBR900RR) when I saw an HD Iron 883 outside a friend's business. All blacked out, custom exhaust, etc. It got me thinking about getting back into it again. But the more I looked into the Iron, the more I realized how low tech and overpriced it is. I mean, 45 HP out of an 883cc motor? Really?? So I started looking at other bikes and decided I wanted a naked sport bike which led me to look at used SV650's but the single header pipe coming out of the front cylinder looked really weak to me compared to the 8's 4 pipes. I looked at a 2012 FZ8 and immediately loved the looks of the bike and knew that I would never outgrow it, which I couldn't say about the SV650 as it's labled as a beginner bike. Still, I could not bring myself to pay the price for a new 2012 FZ8 so I was all set to buy a 2008 SV650 with just 2000 miles on it. The day before I was going to go buy it, a Yamaha dealership about 60 miles from me posted an add in CL for a brand new, 0 miles, 2011 FZ8 at a price that was lower than people were asking for their used 2011 FZ8's. I decided to bite the bullet and bought my brand new 8 that day.

I also looked at a Street Triple but the high initial cost plus high maintenance cost drove me away. If money was no object, I would have bought a Street Triple R.

Last edited:

White Rider

I already have 2 bikes (Italian) so didn't need another one. I liked the idea of a Street Triple R but I thought it looked a little unfinished... Anyway I used to go into the Yamaha dealership for oils etc and saw the Dealers own white FZ8n with all the extras. WOW I was blown away.
After wrestling with myself (and partner) for a few months that I didn't need another bike, they dropped the price by $2000. There was a write up in the NZ Bike magazine using my exact bike from the dealer and the rest as they say was history. I would have probably bought a Moto Guzzi Stelvio or Griso 8v if they were cheaper, so I think it was the price that tipped me over with all the extras.
I don't think I would have bought the bike if it was bone stock. I prefer to ride not mod.
I have to say the new KTM 690 has got my attention. Maybe I have a problem!

e11charlie

Looked at a lot of bikes. FZ1, B-King, SV650, Monster,Shiver, even a Dorsoduro. I looked at seat height, ride, power, what i really wanted to do with it, and just the over all feel. Had there been an Aprilia dealer in my area, I would have went with the Dorsoduro. Alas parts and service would have been too much of a bitch. Didn't even know about the FZ8 even after I walked into the dealer. Didn't even see it. Salesman thought I wanted a big cc bike. He called me and when I saw her I loved it. I had an FZ1 at one time and it has more power than I will ever use even on a track.

Jwood9

I like all these bikes and more. I can find something little i like in every bike, but only a wallet so big ...

Black Widow

Avid Rider
How about this as a second bike... Vmax 1700 concept