What do YOU use to clean your FZ?

Yamacat1000

I have a very methodical process. It goes something like this... First, I squirt down any dried on bugs and such with K&N degreaser, let sit for about 10 min. Using a "hotsy" (heated pressure washer) I remove all the murdered insects from the bike. Then I use some McGuire's Quick Detailer to remove any residue left from the massacre (works like a charm) and finally, i apply a new layer of clearcoat using SC1. And TADA, just like she rolled out of the show room. Takes me about two hours, a good excuse to stay after work and fiddle f*@% around the shop. :cheers:

C

Camo

McGuire's Gold and cold water in a bucket, sponge and elbow grease. Hose it off, chamois/air blower then Quick detailer.
WD-40 and a rag to clean up the rims and some glass cleaner on the mirrors and gauges.
If I've been lucky enough not to have had to ride in the rain at the end of the work week, I'll use the quick detailer to give it a wipe over if I'm motivated ;)

Once a month or so I whack some gold wax over it as well.

D

DJK1505

After every ride once I get home, I spend about 30-40 min with any waterless car wash spray stuff, and some parts cleaner for the bottom side of engine and swing arm. Then spray the chain and put up.

Before every ride I wipe the chain down and wheels and check air pressure.

Then for the major washes on weekends or whatever, pressure washer, turtle wax car wash, dry, go over everything with a carnuba wax, clean chain with a tooth brush, any oil, dirt, whatever I can get to in engine, under the bike, forks, etc.

Coolslice

I use both Plexus and what used to be known as Honda-Bright. I wipe it down after every ride and it stays spotless. I have done this with my last 3 bikes and I've NEVER had to use water to wash them. I don't ride in the rain, so my bikes still look brand new years after I buy them. I can always tell a bike that has been washed with a water hose.

lyric911

I've washed my FZ8 exactly once, and it was sort of an accident. After I removed the obnoxious warning sticker on the tank, I had WD40 everywhere. So I cleaned the tank. Then you could still see an outline of where the sticker had been, so I got out the polish/wax and fixed that. Then the tank was shinier than everything else, so I did all the shiny bits. Otherwise, to wash the bike I just ride in the rain.

The number of days where the weather is nice enough to wash the bike coincides with the number of days where the weather is nice enough to ride the bike. So, I ride instead.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i'm like lyric as well. i wash it in the spring before the season really takes off, and typically only wash again if it gets muddy from early riding. rarely do i wash it but when i do i simply use car wash, since i typically do it and my truck at the same time.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Swiffer duster. I Never wash it, just wipe it down with a damp microfiber cloth and dry with a dry microfiber.

Last edited:

Yamacat1000

I've washed my FZ8 exactly once, and it was sort of an accident. After I removed the obnoxious warning sticker on the tank, I had WD40 everywhere. So I cleaned the tank. Then you could still see an outline of where the sticker had been, so I got out the polish/wax and fixed that. Then the tank was shinier than everything else, so I did all the shiny bits. Otherwise, to wash the bike I just ride in the rain.

The number of days where the weather is nice enough to wash the bike coincides with the number of days where the weather is nice enough to ride the bike. So, I ride instead.

Your comment reminded me of a Q. You used WD-40 to remove that obnoxious sticker? Did you soak it? Scrub lightly with finger nail? I would like to get ride of mine and havent had much luck. :bs2:

Yamacat1000

Whats so bad about washing them? I realize if you get any hard water spots they never really go away but I make sure to give her a blow job before theres a chance for spots. :D

lothodon

Super Moderator
i used goo gone and a shitload of fingernail power to remove my sticker.

as for washing, i just don't care if it's dirty, rather ride it and i'm quick to ride regardless of rain so water spots are pretty much a permanent feature of my bike.

bike, 37mpg, truck 9mpg...so i ride in the rain!

EZ RIDER

Your comment reminded me of a Q. You used WD-40 to remove that obnoxious sticker? Did you soak it? Scrub lightly with finger nail? I would like to get ride of mine and havent had much luck. :bs2:

Make sure your tank is below half and use a blow dryer on low heat and get some Goo Gone. Heat the sticker up with the blow dryer and slowly peel it off and then use the Goo Gone to take of the residue from the sticker off. Works like a charm.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I used a heat gun to warm it up and the sticker peeled right off. I hate stickers,my quad came with 8 warning stickers:(

FZ1inNH

Administrator
When it rains, the bike is naturally washed. ;) I ride in nearly all weather. The bike doesn't see soap all that often. I do clean and lube the chain regularly. I lube the whole bike when it is stored for the winter.

When I do wash, I dip a cloth in kerosene and clean the wheels, chain and rear sprocket. I wash with Turtle Wax car wash, then take it out for a fast run to dry it off and heat up the chain. Lube the chain and kiss her goodnight. Wipe off the excess from the chain in the morning and we're ready to roll.

Last edited:
H

Hoover

I work in a marina and boat bastards are nororiously picky. We clean our boats with a product called "Babes".
I use it on my bike and have never used anything as good.

I used Honda Clean for years but this shit is head and shoulders above that.

After a wipe down, nothing, and I mean nothing settles or sticks. It is astonishing how good it works.

lyric911

There's a clear layer that can be peeled off relatively easily with a finger nail. Then I took a heat gun to it to loosen the adhesive to peel the sticker itself off. Then wd-40 to remove (goo gone would work too) any residual adhesive.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I use mothers car care products only because we sell them where I work.
Spay on wheel & tire cleaner, wash with water/carwash mix, blow dry and wipe down.

Yamacat1000

When it rains, the bike is naturally washed. ;) I ride in nearly all weather. The bike doesn't see soap all that often. I do clean and lube the chain regularly. I lube the whole bike when it is stored for the winter.

When I do wash, I dip a cloth in kerosene and clean the wheels, chain and rear sprocket. I was with Turtle Wax car wash, then take it out for a fast run to dry it off and heat up the chain. Lube the chain and kiss her goodnight. Wipe off the excess from the chain in the morning and we're ready to roll.

do you remove the chain and use kerosene?

FZ1inNH

Administrator
do you remove the chain and use kerosene?

Kerosene, yes. Remove chain? No. Grunge Brush and a modified plastic pail to catch it all in.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Why kerosene? wheels too?

If you use it once, you'll never go back to anything else. It's paraffin-based and safe for painted surfaces. I dampen a cloth and wipe down the wheels and try not to get it on the tires even though it won't hurt. Then I wash the bike with a car wash soap to get the residue off. You wouldn't believe how fast the Kero dissolves grime! I bought a gallon and it's lasted through the last three bikes and four riding seasons. Cheap cleaner when you stretch it that far. :D