VERY choppy throttle when going on or off

eru000

Hey guys. Another question regarding the FZ8. I'm new to the world of lighter-engined higher-performance FI sportbikes. Is having a VERY choppy throttle at slower speeds (less than 40mph or so) normal? I feel like if I give it a little gas just a TINY bit too fast, it immediately guns it. I have to be VERY slow and methodic getting back on the throttle, which makes cornering on city streets very difficult since often times the bike will severely jerk mid-corner.

Anything I can do to improve this? I've already tightened up my throttle free play a little...

popeye

Option 1. Go 40+ everywhere
Dont think there's a option 2..
I have had 4 yamaha fz's I found that they all just go there seems to be no happy medium thats why I like em! But I think you get use to it then its not a problem.

Last edited:

97audia4

I nice slight roll of the throttle plus a well timed slight clutch grab can help those jerky slow turns. Double check your chain tightness as well. If none of that helps just order a guhl motors tune it will smooth that throttle chop out.

pigdog

good advice you guys. sounds like something mechanical is sticking at the other end of the throttle cable. if you have good ears, with the engine off, roll on the throttle a little & let go. do this a few times. if you hear more than 1 synchronized click after you let go then linkage or the like may be sticking or i could be full of $#!+.

eru000

Option 1. Go 40+ everywhere
Dont think there's a option 2..
I have had 4 yamaha fz's I found that they all just go there seems to be no happy medium thats why I like em! But I think you get use to it then its not a problem.

Perfect plan! That initial start from 0-40 in 0sec will be pretty rough on the body, and stop/go traffic will be brutal, but at least I won't be experiencing throttle jerk! ;)

good advice you guys. sounds like something mechanical is sticking at the other end of the throttle cable. if you have good ears, with the engine off, roll on the throttle a little & let go. do this a few times. if you hear more than 1 synchronized click after you let go then linkage or the like may be sticking or i could be full of $#!+.

I'll have to check this when I get out of work. Thanks!

Woody146

Banned
Lube the throttle cable? Make sure you have enough free play....and maybe get an r6 throttle tube...cuts free play at least in half...turn throttle less to hit wot...supposedly harder at lower speed but fine for me...would advise against reflash if you are new to the bike

Woody146

Banned
Why would you say that? I was thinking about reflashing or getting a Power Commander over the summer. Maybe after a few months

Get comfortable on the bike first..flash changes a lot..ie engine braking, rev limiter and all around makes it a beast...don't want to see ya loop it or crash it...pcv does not do nearly as much as flash...flash is cheaper

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Screw that trash....... If you think re flashing will smooth the bike up, which it does..... Then if you have the funds, do it.

Your not gonna flip over, it's not like he bike becomes a moto gp replica..... Just exercise the same caution your having to use now, when it gets back from being flashed......

I started on a -1 +2 cbr600, that thing was nuts, but I was taught that it is ALL. In your wrist, you get stupid..... You receive stupid..... You respect it, it respects you.

What kind of rider are you? Do you trust your self? Are you patient in learning a new bike?

If you went and test rode a zx14r, do you think you could handle it? If so do the flash, you'll be fine......

As far as it being really choppy..... Do you have a comparison bike? When mine was stock it had a bit too much engine braking but otherwise it felt fine.

OdinSon

I use the clutch liberally and have no issues. My 2006 FZ6 with a G2 throttle tamer was still way more harsh than my 2011 FZ8.