Traffic Light Triggers??

RoadKill

might also help trigger red light cams that might otherwise not get you. i know in nyc you can go if you are not triggering the light.

FZ8Panda

might also help trigger red light cams that might otherwise not get you. i know in nyc you can go if you are not triggering the light.

Good point. I'm not exactly sure on what the rules are if your not triggering the light out here in my area.

SlappaTappa

I put neodymium magnets on the bottom of my bike. It does noticeably help but not always. If you can see where the sensors are under the street, try to wait right on top of them.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I put around 8 neodymium magnets on my FZ8's shock bracket. It flips the light every time, without fail. The reason the pre-made devices don't work sometimes is because they skimp on the magnets.

FZ8Panda

I put around 8 neodymium magnets on my FZ8's shock bracket. It flips the light every time, without fail. The reason the pre-made devices don't work sometimes is because they skimp on the magnets.

I put neodymium magnets on the bottom of my bike. It does noticeably help but not always. If you can see where the sensors are under the street, try to wait right on top of them.

Good stuff. I will have to try that and see if it works. Do you just stick the magnets right onto the bracket? Also, where can I buy these magnets?

villhelmromero

I just bought some of those magnets on Amazon to give it a try. would you mind posting a picture of where you put them?
thanks.

Landin

Does it matter if the traffic cams get u when you have the helmet on and they cant identify you? =/

RoadKill

Does it matter if the traffic cams get u when you have the helmet on and they cant identify you? =/

they don't identify you by your face, that would be ridiculous and wouldn't work with cars either. they take a picture of your plate and you receive a ticket in the mail.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
You know, I'm surprised that nobody has actually tested these extensively considering how easy it would be. I mean, how difficult can it be to go to the most annoying intersection at night and throw a magnet on the ground and see if it changes?

That way if the magnet itself can trigger, then it'll definitely work on the bike. Mystery solved! :)

clemmel

I've found the FZ8 is one of the better bikes that I've ridden for being picked up by the magnetic sensor. If the sensor is there, you can see the big circles in the pavement, usually about 2 or 3 in the lane before the light. I find if I get the center of the bike over the left or right of the circle (where you can get the most of the bike over the lines) I'm usually picked up every time and the light changes.

The straight, box-type sensors are a different story. The basic premise is you have to get as much of the bike over the lines in the pavement so you just need to find that spot.

If that doesn't work, hopefully some pulls up behind you and doesn't stay 30 feet behind in the lane...

SlappaTappa

Good stuff. I will have to try that and see if it works. Do you just stick the magnets right onto the bracket? Also, where can I buy these magnets?

I stuck mine to the kickstand. They're strong magnets and won't fall off, so you can put them anywhere you like. Try eBay or google, I got mine from a friend.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I just wanted to upload a picture of where I mounted my neodymium magnets. Each one is 1" X 1/2" X 1/8". I use 6 and they are more than powerful enough to trip a traffic light without fail. You can get them from here.

Last edited:

ssky0078

I just pick routes where I mostly take right turns, and if I get caught at a light I practice flipping U-turns.

hlmiskelly

they don't identify you by your face, that would be ridiculous and wouldn't work with cars either. they take a picture of your plate and you receive a ticket in the mail.
That's why you don't get points against your license. Technically they are fining the vehicle and not the driver.

thach1130

I've been coming home late at night the last few week and get stuck at the light near my office. Being late at night there are no car to trigger the damn left turn signal. I had to make a right and then make a quick U turn at the next available area. Pain in the ass.

schmittz

Just flip your plate up before getting to those pesky intersections, kill the gov's funds too, got one in my car the other day while making a legal right on red. $90!!! Screw that went to court, fought it, and won. I hope a dwi takes out that damn pole soon, people drive more dangerous around red light cam area, ie, slamming on the breaks when the light just hit yellow. (A few people have caught my engine cage to the side of their car for that crap.)