Tires

Woody146

Banned
Tired of getting new ones every 6 months...looking at pilot road 4 gt...anyone running these? How many miles you have on em? How aggressive can you ride on them?

Skiman

3,000 miles in 9 days on road4's and they still looked like the day I put them on.
Ran them through the dragon and love them! Very quick warm up, go where you point them! Oh, and they're great in the rain. No evidence of squaring.

alexk

Weekend Rider
+1 for the Pilot Road 4. I'm running those on my '13 and LOVE em. Plenty of grip wet and dry, predictable handling, and a large temperature range.

Don't go GT - that's for a heavier bike.

Bajaedition

My problem is center tire wear

as is known, I live in the middle of nowhere so it is a 50 + mile trip just to get to a curve. Seriously ever been down a desert road.

so I put a lot of miles on the center of the tire and soon end up with a flat center.

However once I get to the place i want to be I do like to hit the twisties to get my YAYAs out.

SO I want a sports style tire

I may be looking for a long time

Umyaya

+1 for the Pilot Road 4. I'm running those on my '13 and LOVE em. Plenty of grip wet and dry, predictable handling, and a large temperature range.

Don't go GT - that's for a heavier bike.

I'm about to order the pilot road 4's. I noticed on my front tire that the left side is very bald when the right side isn't !? Lol. Weird.

DanS

Commuter
I'm about to order the pilot road 4's. I noticed on my front tire that the left side is very bald when the right side isn't !? Lol. Weird.
Same here, mine was bald on the left side. I think it's due to the crown of the roads. We get a lot of rain and all our roads have a high crown.

Umyaya

3,000 miles in 9 days on road4's and they still looked like the day I put them on.
Ran them through the dragon and love them! Very quick warm up, go where you point them! Oh, and they're great in the rain. No evidence of squaring.

What PSI are you running your pilot 4's on

cmurder

Pillion
running the pr4's ( 35/36 psi) also and a 2 ct front , got about 1500 on em and the still look like new you will only need the gt if you have a heavy touring bike 800lbs +

Larry P

+1 for any of the pilot road series. Ran a 2 a few years back and got 10k easy on the rear. Currently running a 3 series and have 5k and shes holding up great. You won't outride the tire on an fz8. Sport touring tires of today are far superior to the sport tires of yesterday.

NoNine4me

I just decided to buy a pair of Pilot Power 3's. The Dunlop Q3's are just superb tires as far as every category of performance, handling, grip, ride quality...but they do not last if you like to wick it up. The back is worn pretty evenly all the way around, no flat spot, but when that much rubber is gone, the handling starts to go off and I am not as confident in the bike. The tires probably have about 1500 miles on them.

I researched the PP3, and a friend uses them on his FZ1, and figured I'd give them a try. The dual-compound design using the harder rubber underneath the softer on the rear, and the 25% on each side of the front being softer/grippier, appealed to me. They also say the tire has good road feel whilst cranked over driving out of a turn, which is real important (the Q3's excel in this when new).

Hoping that the PP3's will deliver similar handling, grip, and feel but give me more longevity. Planning on getting them mounted up this week so I will report back when I can.

NoNine4me

Tired of getting new ones every 6 months...looking at pilot road 4 gt...anyone running these? How many miles you have on em? How aggressive can you ride on them?
Depends on how you ride but the PR4 is NOT a track day tire, if that helps, but you probably know that already. That's a serious long-distance tire for heavier sport/touring bikes. The FZ8 is very light so the PR4 is gonna last a LONG time, but do not expect anything like the grip of a PP3 or Dunlop Q3 out of them. Lean angles are fine but if you expect to wick it up hard driving out of a turn whilst cranked well over, best get a PP3.

Woody146

Banned
Depends on how you ride but the PR4 is NOT a track day tire, if that helps, but you probably know that already. That's a serious long-distance tire for heavier sport/touring bikes. The FZ8 is very light so the PR4 is gonna last a LONG time, but do not expect anything like the grip of a PP3 or Dunlop Q3 out of them. Lean angles are fine but if you expect to wick it up hard driving out of a turn whilst cranked well over, best get a PP3.

The pp3 is what I took off. Grip is extremely comprable between pr4 and pp3..both have 2ct..I ride on the street..not the track..when I go to the track I will run a track tire. I have had both pp2ct and pp3..they last barely 3,000 miles.

*see pic on bottom of page 1

Last edited:

NoNine4me

The pp3 is what I took off. Grip is extremely comprable between pr4 and pp3..both have 2ct..I ride on the street..not the track..when I go to the track I will run a track tire. I have had both pp2ct and pp3..they last barely 3,000 miles.

*see pic on bottom of page 1
That's exactly what Michelin says; the PP3 is a street tire for aggressive sporty riding, and also good for the odd track day, where the PP4 is a street tire. Not a good idea to ride on the street as you would on the track anyhow.

The whole reason I'm getting the PP3's is 'cause the Q3's just don't last long enough and the FZ8 is not my track bike.

I am looking forward to trying these PP3's out!

Woody146

Banned
That's exactly what Michelin says; the PP3 is a street tire for aggressive sporty riding, and also good for the odd track day, where the PP4 is a street tire. Not a good idea to ride on the street as you would on the track anyhow.

The whole reason I'm getting the PP3's is 'cause the Q3's just don't last long enough and the FZ8 is not my track bike.

I am looking forward to trying these PP3's out!

Well...let me know how you like them..I lovvvvvved them! Just wanted something to last longer and after extensive research I landed on the pr4..hope I made the right choice! Still have only rode home from the tire place (dam you taco'd rim:bs2::hbwall:) but I'll get the new rim on tomorrow and have a good ride.

Umyaya

Got the set..**** it

Tires just arrived in the mail..They look super sick! How many miles did guys use to break them in before riding hard on them? Also it may just be me but I chewed through my Brdigestone Battleaxes way too fast! Isn't that tire lasting people awhile?

Last edited:

Bajaedition

personally I do not ride on the street anywhere near as hard as I do on the track. It is just pure lunacy to use up all you have and have no reserve when you are on a ungroomed surface and have to contend with water and oil on the road. I think the 4s are in my future, I have replaced the stock tire once already and do not like the fact that after 3200 miles it is flat in the center again, Less than 7 grand on the bike and 2 tires with flat centers. Not good
I want a hard center but do not want a Harley tire that is hard all over, I want the sides to bite, According to what I read the 4s are suppose to be that way. That is why this thread intrest me so much because I am about to get a new tire. But as of now it I want to know if the 3s and 4s have the same grip on the sides. I mean the 4s look so good to me because the first 50 miles from mu house going anywhere is down the 10 freeway in a strait line at 80 MPH. do I do 1oo to 150 miles normally each ride just eating up asphalt to get anywhere, In basically a strait line. It wears the centers out.

Woody146

Banned
Ok..rode harder today..still was not Turning 100% like I used to... The pr4 are cool... Still undecided...initial impressions though I like the pp3 much more ( stickier/ more aggressive shape to the tire) but I am liking the fact that after a few hundred miles..the pr4 look brand spanking new..the pp3 would have already been wearing..