tire pressure monitors.

pigdog

so what do think about those key fob tire pressure monitors & remote monitors that you can mount to the handlebar. some bikes have them as a stock item like the concourse. anyone here using one?

leem00

so what do think about those key fob tire pressure monitors & remote monitors that you can mount to the handlebar. some bikes have them as a stock item like the concourse. anyone here using one?

I bought an aftermarket one...one that goes inside the wheel and can not be stolen.....

It monitors pressure and temperature...which is awesome!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Electronic-M202-Motorcycle-TPMS/dp/B004WMB830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393507531&sr=8-1&keywords=orange+tpms+for+motorcycles]Orange Electronic M202 Motorcycle TPMS Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

I would attach a picture but the bike is int he shop at the moment...only down side is the display is really bright at night and not waterproof.

MotoZen

That's neat. I'm really bad about checking my tire pressure on a regular basis. Do they just screw onto the valve stem and work wirelessly or what?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Perron

Yeah it replaces the stock valves. Saw this product a while ago.. I find it pretty much useless :p. It takes under a minute manually checking the two wheels, you can save up the 100-200$ to a better mod IMO

leem00

That's neat. I'm really bad about checking my tire pressure on a regular basis. Do they just screw onto the valve stem and work wirelessly or what?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

being as there is only two tires keeping us planted rubber side down...I like to know if its high, low, or ok...mine comes on when i turn the bike on and down't have to spend the extra time to check. Plus it also keeps me informed while I am riding...the interesting thing is that for every 10 degrees warmer the tire gets, it increase 1 lb of air pressure. what really freaked me out last summer was the tires internal air temperature was getting into the 180 degrees range... it obviously gets hotter the harder you ride too.

This system could possible indicate when you run over something and potential help you avoid a crash....

My system replaces the valve stem from the inside... and works wirelessly

Perron

You're right it's faster and can let you know when one of your tire is too low if you didn't felt it already. But if somebody wants to put that money into a simple tire pressure monitor, I would recommand the Scorpio monitoring system. Sure it's not a free mod, but a least you get something with way more potential than knowing only the pressure and the temperature of your tire:

Build Ride | Scorpio

leem00

You're right it's faster and can let you know when one of your tire is too low if you didn't felt it already. But if somebody wants to put that money into a simple tire pressure monitor, I would recommand the Scorpio monitoring system. Sure it's not a free mod, but a least you get something with way more potential than knowing only the pressure and the temperature of your tire:

Build Ride | Scorpio

I don't see where that monitors tire temperatures....seems like that is more of a gps monitoring program...

oops... found it...but it doesn't say anything about tire temperature.... mine has a read out i mounted on the dash...this you would have to have the phone mounted on the bars to watch, and how real time is it?

$131 a year? I paid $95 once and I don't need data logging.

Last edited:

9 Lives

Yeah it replaces the stock valves. Saw this product a while ago.. I find it pretty much useless :p. It takes under a minute manually checking the two wheels, you can save up the 100-200$ to a better mod IMO

The idea behind pressure monitors is to alert the rider if the tire looses pressure while riding so you have a chance to stop the bike before the tire goes completely flat and possibly causing a crash. Its a very good investment IMO for safety reasons, like previously stated we only have 2 tires on the road. Personally I think it should be standard equipment on a motorcycle.

leem00

The idea behind pressure monitors is to alert the rider if the tire looses pressure while riding so you have a chance to stop the bike before the tire goes completely flat and possibly causing a crash. Its a very good investment IMO for safety reasons, like previously stated we only have 2 tires on the road. Personally I think it should be standard equipment on a motorcycle.

The orange version also has preset limits where it will flash red if the pressure gets to high or low or the temperature gets to high or low....these limits are adjustable though...

Perron

Oh my bad, I tought the tire pressure monitoring didn't require the annual subscription..

You guys are right about the fact that you can instantly know if you are loosing pressure. I tought at first that it was only to avoid checking tire once a week.

Is there a lot of bikes having pressure monitoring as standard equipment?

leem00

There have been a few time that ?I have gotten "squirrely" coming out of corners and being able to look down and see pressures are still good is a reassuring bit of information.

Most of those corners it ended up being dirt/ mud in the corner that I couldn't see upon entry when I went back and checked (or cleaned the bike).

troublemaker

Tire Pressure

I went to Pep Boys the brand name is Slime. It cost me like 8 bucks I know it wasnt more then $10 bucks. Works great and I can put it on my key chain so it always with me. And I brought a foot pump from Big 5. I like my set up and I check my pressure every other day.

pigdog

well, the tire-guard tpms just makes sense. be honest, who checks tire pressure every day? who rides everyday? is it a toy or a tool? i like gadgets & this qualifies.

leem00

well, the tire-guard tpms just makes sense. be honest, who checks tire pressure every day? who rides everyday? is it a toy or a tool? i like gadgets & this qualifies.

Generally speaking on my car, I can tell when I have a tire that is down 3-5 psi, just by looks... no I don't check with a guage daily.... The bike is a lot tougher though.

I ride almost everyday during the summer months.

The bike is a toy... based on usage though, it pretty much qualifies for a tool as it is my release... its where I get my happiness from...

Its not just a gadget....its a useful gadget...and that makes it worth its weight in gold.

pigdog

sorry man. leem00, i was talking about the tire monitor being a gadget, not the bike but when you put it that way you make perfect sense.

pigdog

i changed a tire for a customer that had slime. it got all over me & the bed of my truck. i told him that if he wanted me to change his tires in the future, don't put that crap in his tires. back on topic, the tireguard monitor is installed & im very happy with the way it reads pressure & temperature.

Geezer

It works great until the battery dies

I have the system on my Concours and like it but after about three years the batteries are getting weak and the front tire shows low battery when it is cold outside. Also they don't all read accurately so you have to check the tire pressure with a good gauge so you know that when your system shows 38 psi it is really 36psi or 40 psi or ... Since motorcycles need new tires every 8K-10K it is not that hard to replace the batteries (if you can solder) or wheel sensors when you install new tires. I don't know how it works on after-market systems but (if I remember correctly) on the Concours "low front battery" keeps flashing and makes it hard to see any of the other information on the display. In my car the low level light stays on but doesn't tell me which tire is low so I would have to spend almost $400 to get them all changed. Bummer, so I will just live with the flashing at engine start and then constant on light.