Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS

ramrod

I want one...

Low price, fun to drive 4 banger sports car. If there is one thing that sucks about living on island, is that we do not see new cars until well after the launch date. Anyone in the mainland seen these or even take one for a spin?

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Seen yes, driven no, and I'm quite afraid too, I've been drooling for this car since they announced it. right now I'm waiting to see if they bring in a boosted player in the next year or so though, I can't help but dream of those body-lines with a nice set of UEL headers and a 3-inch pipe runnin to a good set of borlas

ramrod

Seen yes, driven no, and I'm quite afraid too, I've been drooling for this car since they announced it. right now I'm waiting to see if they bring in a boosted player in the next year or so though, I can't help but dream of those body-lines with a nice set of UEL headers and a 3-inch pipe runnin to a good set of borlas

Yea, hopefully they'll have an STI version.

Haven't seen these on my island either...look schmicko!

Are RWD cars fairly popular in Australia?

One of my all time favorite cars have been the Nissan Silvia (S15). I'm not a big drifting fan, but I've always liked the concept of a speedy RWD vehicle.

FZER

Avid Rider
I really like it. I'd never drive a miata though way to girlish to me, but this car is everything the miata should be.

lance2448

Um, I have an Impreza....so, no, actually. I would feel weird driving a TWO wheel drive Subaru....that I can't take off road and embarrass pickups with.

:D

GarryM

I have a Mazda MX5 SP which is a limited run turbo MX5 (Miata in the US) developed locally by Mazda Motorsport Australia. It impressed Mazda head office in Japan so much that they did what they said they'd never do and brought out a full factoy turbo, the SE in Aus (Mazdaspeed in the US). It's a pretty limp wristed effort compared to the SP but back to the original post.....

There are lots of FT86's around in Aus (which is what we call the Toyota vesion). The Subaru BRZ is available in very limited quantities and only sold online where the first shipment sold out in 3 hours! Currently there is up to an 8 month wait to get into the Toyota so they are pretty popular here.

I spent a full afternoon in the Toyota a couple of weeks ago. It corners flat, the steering is nicely weighted and the chassis is well balanced. It could certainly do with a bit more of an exhaust note. The intake noise thing didn't impress me, it sounded better with it plugged up. Once it gets a few revs up it's performance is adequate rather than exciting and nothing happens under 2500rpm. If you keep it on the boil though it would be quite quick point to point. While it was a nice drive and did nothing wrong it was a bit souless and didn't endear itself to me. My MX5 has much more character and is more fun to drive, not to mention being considerably faster. A turbo would do wonders for this car. I hope Subaru brings out a turbo STI version at some stage. Maybe then I'd consider swapping my MX5 for one.

Last edited:

n00b

Avid Rider
One of the guys at work just got the Toyota version. I haven't been in it yet. He admits it's underpowered. Looks pretty nice. Doesn't really do much for me though.

sinclap2

Lazy
I drove the Toyota 86 (scion) on the day it was released in here. Handles really well. The prob with the one I drove was that it was an auto. If u gunna get a car like this it needs to be a manual or there is no point!

Almost bought it on he spot, but I actually stopped and thght about it. My driveway sucks for low cars, I would have scrapped the crud out of it. The ride is also quite firm an that wold have worn a Little thin after awhile. :2cents:

If I had enough money for another toy like this I wld probably get one

Last edited:

sinclap2

Lazy
Are RWD cars fairly popular in Australia?

One of my all time favorite cars have been the Nissan Silvia (S15). I'm not a big drifting fan, but I've always liked the concept of a speedy RWD vehicle.

They still are for the moment, but sadly the Mazda 3 (even though i own a Mazda 3) is slowly overtaking the larger rear wheel drive cars like the Holden Commodore (you had the commodore for a while in he US but it was called a Pontiac Q8) and the Ford Falcon.

This is a HSV version of the basic commodore
http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/clubsportr8/

The Maloo ute is also a beast
http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/maloo/

Falcon (this is fords latest beast)
http://www.gtrspec.com.au/

They also come in sedate family versions too, but theyre boring

Last edited:
W

WARPTH

I've got a pretty heavily modified Nissan 180sx which is a rear drive cars which is just so much fun to drive and I'm actually thinking of trading in my wife for one of these. ;)

master paper clip

I think there fantastic cars, love the way they look, and u can go on YouTube and check some exhaust sounds, it's weird with it having a boxer engine the exhaust note is quite different compared to your typical crazy Subaru rumble, kinda like a cross between the boxer and an inline 4 but on the good side, me personally I love the Subaru Version more then the Toyota/scion one

H

Hoover

While I was at the dealer getting new keys flashe for my WRX, I got to play with the BRZ. It is a stunning car for the price. It looks great and goes very well. Salesman told me there are no plans for an STi but SPT have quite a few bits for it, including suspension, exhaust and intake.
I will say this though...it is small. I am 6'0, 185 and I just fit comfortably. The back seats are fine, as long as you have no legs and golfists won't have any room for their sticks in the trunk.

Cobb Tuning, the leader in Scooby tuning are also producing whoopie bits.

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
That lack of rumble is from the equal-length headers, which is why I'd have to find or fab UEL's if I choose to buy one.

master paper clip

While I was at the dealer getting new keys flashe for my WRX, I got to play with the BRZ. It is a stunning car for the price. It looks great and goes very well. Salesman told me there are no plans for an STi but SPT have quite a few bits for it, including suspension, exhaust and intake.
I will say this though...it is small. I am 6'0, 185 and I just fit comfortably. The back seats are fine, as long as you have no legs and golfists won't have any room for their sticks in the trunk.

Cobb Tuning, the leader in Scooby tuning are also producing whoopie bits.

... Idk what your dealer was told but Subaru already announced an sti version for 2013