Smoother throttle response (less jerky)?

Woody146

Banned
I believe it was the 2010..idk..I got it at the yamaha dealer..they had three different ones...I got the white one

DanS

Commuter
what year throttle tubes for the R6 did you guys get?

-B
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-2C0262400000-Grip-Assembly/dp/B005C59NO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402634388&sr=8-1&keywords=2c0262400000This"]Amazon.com: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly: Automotive[/ame] This is the 1/6th turn R6 tube

Last edited:

NoNine4me

Sorry guys, not interested in the R6 tube as it does something very different, this tube smooths out the initial response by rolling it on a little slower at first, then quicker after, instead of the same ratio throughout. The last thing I need is a sixth-turn throttle!

Getting some great testimonials, especially from the FZ-09 crowd as that bike really has some issues. FZ8 isn't bad but can still "whisky throttle" you over a bump or if not careful enough.

It's on my list to get.

OdinSon

I had a G2 throttle tamer on my last bike, the FZ6. Now that bike was jerky. It helped immensely but the previous owner also changed the sprockets too. That bike could be punishing when I wasn't easy on the throttle and clutch work.

eru000

I put a G2 on my 2012 FZ8, but it didn't really help with the low-speed throttle snatch (jerkiness). It's really about the fueling. EFI systems usually completely cut fuel when you close the throttle, so when you open it again, the fuel needs to reach the cylinder and re-wet the walls of the intake manifold. That delay is what causes the throttle snatch. What you really need is a way to trick the ECU into either A) not doing that or B) thinking that the throttle is not actually closed.

I have a TBR Juice Box on my FZ, and just today I finally manage to almost completely eliminate the throttle snatch. I still need to tweak it a little, but it's 80% gone. What I did was re-calibrate the TPS (throttle position sensor) to think the throttle is actually at 2% when it's closed. In the JB software (and I'm sure you can do this with a PCV as well), you calibrate the TPS normally (sweep the throttle so it can get the lowest and highest voltage from the sensor; follow the directions), but I changed the low-end voltage to be even lower (0.615v if I remember correctly; YMMV). This way it's reporting as 2% when closed. The ECU now doesn't cut fuel ever, and the roll on is much smoother.

All that said, I would still recommend getting the G2 throttle tube. I like the low-end control it gives you. Much smoother throttle action, too.

NoNine4me

I put a G2 on my 2012 FZ8, but it didn't really help with the low-speed throttle snatch (jerkiness). It's really about the fueling. EFI systems usually completely cut fuel when you close the throttle, so when you open it again, the fuel needs to reach the cylinder and re-wet the walls of the intake manifold. That delay is what causes the throttle snatch. What you really need is a way to trick the ECU into either A) not doing that or B) thinking that the throttle is not actually closed.

I have a TBR Juice Box on my FZ, and just today I finally manage to almost completely eliminate the throttle snatch. I still need to tweak it a little, but it's 80% gone. What I did was re-calibrate the TPS (throttle position sensor) to think the throttle is actually at 2% when it's closed. In the JB software (and I'm sure you can do this with a PCV as well), you calibrate the TPS normally (sweep the throttle so it can get the lowest and highest voltage from the sensor; follow the directions), but I changed the low-end voltage to be even lower (0.615v if I remember correctly; YMMV). This way it's reporting as 2% when closed. The ECU now doesn't cut fuel ever, and the roll on is much smoother.

All that said, I would still recommend getting the G2 throttle tube. I like the low-end control it gives you. Much smoother throttle action, too.
Right on, I had the Guhls ECU flash done so it's a bit better than stock, but don't really want to go to as much work as you've done. If I'm really careful it can be smooth, but to have the mechanical advantage "tamed" even a little to help when taking that initial slack out of the cables seems like a good idea, and not too expensive.

If I get this done I'll post results.;)

eru000

Right on, I had the Guhls ECU flash done so it's a bit better than stock, but don't really want to go to as much work as you've done. If I'm really careful it can be smooth, but to have the mechanical advantage "tamed" even a little to help when taking that initial slack out of the cables seems like a good idea, and not too expensive.

If I get this done I'll post results.;)

Should Guhl's flash not have removed the fuel cutoff on closed throttle? Isn't that part of the flash? If not, is that something they can do? They should be able to do it for free, if I remember correctly.

Umyaya

It may just be me... but I have noticed that my 2011 FZ8 is a little sluggish right after the clutch engages and you start to move.. it then rides smooth and hasn't been a big problem so I never really looked into it... It's hard to explain but it's NOT like a feeling that the engine is whining,dying, or going to stall.. more like just sluggish for 1 split second then goes smooth. Any thoughts?
Should Guhl's flash not have removed the fuel cutoff on closed throttle? Isn't that part of the flash? If not, is that something they can do? They should be able to do it for free, if I remember correctly.

eru000

It may just be me... but I have noticed that my 2011 FZ8 is a little sluggish right after the clutch engages and you start to move.. it then rides smooth and hasn't been a big problem so I never really looked into it... It's hard to explain but it's NOT like a feeling that the engine is whining,dying, or going to stall.. more like just sluggish for 1 split second then goes smooth. Any thoughts?

I've noticed that too, if I don't give enough throttle before I start to engage the clutch, or if I let it out too fast. It's sounds like it's lugging. Unless you're in stop and go, or if you aren't going more than 20mph after you start, just give it some more revs before you start letting the clutch out. Maybe up to 3k or so.

NoNine4me

Yep, that is exactly how my '12 was. Guhl's reflash completely eliminates that. My CB1100 and even my GSX-R 750 still do exactly the same thing from time to time, and they have the stock ECU maps. It feels like the clutch has gone out of adjustment or something, but it's the ECU retarding the ignition timing. I don't like it at all because it makes the bike unpredictable, especially if you're moving off in traffic or trying to make a tight U-turn.

Reflash!;)

(just be careful about the new-found power.)

NoNine4me

Okay. I went ahead with this and ordered the throttle tube and a set of new grips. Since my own (hopefully) smooth throttle hand is usually enough to calm down the snatchiness, I figure for $75 this will just help me out a little bit.

When it comes I'll give it a few test runs and post results.

F3NIX

So where does one get this Guhls reflash done? Pardon my ignorance but I just bought my 13 last year and im learning all this cool stuff. Gotta ask to get answers :)

Woody146

Banned
So where does one get this Guhls reflash done? Pardon my ignorance but I just bought my 13 last year and im learning all this cool stuff. Gotta ask to get answers :)

Guhls.com

Flashtune.com

Turbojoetuned from fz8 cen tral . Com and Facebook (fellow rider NOT a company like other 2).

I'm running 3rd option and really like it

F3NIX

Thanks I appreciate the info. So basically this is a different map? I am using the power commander 5...does that matter?

Z0MBIETIMMY

All I did to help free up the slack and jerky feeling is tightened the throttle cable just a little and that seemed to help out and not spending a dime just a little time :) hope this helps..