Rattling Sound on Acceleration From Stop

Sschwar4

If it had a slipper clutch, I would say your holding the clutch too long at higher than needed revs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sixtus

Ok, so I may just be an idiot. I had a friend take some video of me reproducing the sound, and they said that it's just the sound that clutches make when you try to engage them too quickly.

Here's the video... let me know what you guys think:

20120512_soundtest01.mp4 video by sixtus7 - Photobucket

I seriously never heard a sound like this with my Ninja 250 or 650, so I'm still a bit skeptical that this is no big deal, but people who have seen/heard it in person don't seem to think it's anything to worry about.

V

Vapordan

Ok, so I may just be an idiot...

I seriously never heard a sound like this with my Ninja 250 or 650, so I'm still a bit skeptical that this is no big deal, but people who have seen/heard it in person don't seem to think it's anything to worry about.

What gear are you in? Is this a new bike? If this is 1st or 2nd and new then this is definitely not normal at all. It sounds like the clutch to me, but it also could be coming from the engine. To differentiate the two, introduce some load on the bike - do the same thing again but with a heavy passenger at the back and listen for any difference.

Also try slipping the clutch when it makes that sound, or keeping the clutch trigger in the same position to prolong the sound. If you can cut the sound by pulling in on the clutch from the slip position, take it in and have them look at the clutch assembly.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Opinions really vary on this, Mine will make that sound usually underload/low rpms starting out. I thought to be normal. I think there is nothing wrong.

lothodon

Super Moderator
to me it sounds like you're starting in second and not first. do you have an aftermarket clutch lever? are you sure it's fully ENGAGING and not adjusted incorrectly? that could apply to both the stock and aftermarket lever.

D

Deleted member 438

You're lugging the engine. It would only be bad if you were riding around like that for a sustained period.

H

Hoover

You're lugging the engine. It would only be bad if you were riding around like that for a sustained period.

For sure that's exactly what it is. Give it more gas and let the clutch out a little more smoothly.

BIGpanda

I know what he's doing as I have done it as well. If I let the clutch out from a stop and neglect to give it anything but the slightest bit of throttle and then realize what I'm doing and give it more throttle than normal to save it I will get a weird noise, its not really a grinding noise but it's definitely mechanical. I've been around engines my entire life and I'm going with either the cam lobes making noise as they contact or the valves. I'm not concerned with it because it only happens when those circumstances are met. Just give it equal throttle and clutch letout and you will be good to go without any other noise.

D

DJK1505

Okay, you said "reproducing the sound", you are intentionally doing this? You accidently do this when you take off suddenly, or not paying attention?

It 100% sounds like piston knock. Its not gonna harm your bike if it happens now and then. Just pay closer attention when you take off, give it a bit more gas!

DJ

C

Camo

More revs and a smoother clutch action brother...If you try it out and still find you're getting that noise, check to see that you're in first.
Failing that you may have a clutch adjustment issue?

sixtus

Ok, sounds like I just need to work on my form. This is happening in first gear, but it doesn't happen (or at least not nearly as much) when I slip/feather the clutch. So it's not something that always happens.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

RoadKill

Sixtus, do you think you messed up your engine. I did the same thing you did maybe a total of 10 times. i remember when in the first few miles i would turn the engine off and it was smooth but now, there is a single knock as the last sound made on engine shutdown.

I am wondering if that is because of doing this a few times to my engine and causing damage.