Rattling Sound on Acceleration From Stop

sixtus

I apologize if this is just one of those things that are known about this bike (or bikes in general)... I'm pretty new to riding, so I'm still learning.

This is my third bike, and this issue didn't happen with my first two bikes (Ninja 250R and 650R), but with this bike, when first accelerating from a dead stop, there's sort of a rattling / almost grinding noise depending on the clutch/throttle ratio.

It seems to happen more when I left off the clutch quicker while accelerating from a dead stop... not so much when I ease off it very slowly. The place I bought it from (bought it brand new) said that it's normal when I showed it to them in person... they said you just hear things with naked bikes that you don't with faired ones. I might buy that to an extent, but I'm pretty sure if my first two bikes had been making a noise similar to this I would have heard it even though they had fairings.

I wish it were easier to record sound and post it online for people to hear what I'm referring to, and maybe I'll resort to that if it bothers me enough, but does anyone know the noise I'm referring to, and know if it's normal or something I should be worried about?

H

Hoover

NOT NORMAL.
Do you have another dealer you can go to? I don't hear anything like you are describing and never have on any bike.
Do you have any riding buddies that can ride it for you and give you a better idea?

Hereward

Not normal!
If I stick it in say 3rd and pull away from standstill, or similarly if I accelerate hard and I'm in too high a gear for the rpm (below 2000) I can hear and feel the bike "bog down" but thats simply a laboured exhaust note and a tell tale vibration for a second or two as the bike picks up rpms........I do not hear ANY mechanical noises such as rattleing or grinding......I don't hear labouring the engine nor do I hear it giving the clutch some stick or riding the clutch..........take it to another dealers!

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I don't hear any of the noises described by the OP. Smooth and quiet upon take -off.

What kind and grade of fuel are you using?

TeleRob

I had a non perfect take off today where I let the clutch out faster than normal, then gave it some slower throttle and I noticed the same type of sound. Any less gas and probably have stalled. (stop and go construction) I would say to try giving more revs with a smoother clutch. I think it's technique. Try it and post back!

Yamacat1000

I believe what your hearing is the valves from the engine "lugging" for instance if you take a gasoline pickup truck and try to start in 3rd you will hear the same sound. Once in a while I lug my bike too, I think a big part of it is due to the "tall" or high gearing. After my bikes engine was broken in it has gone away. Make sure your bikes idle speed is correct and your clutch freeplay is also correct. These two may or may not contribute when starting in first, but cant hurt to check. To verify try starting in 2nd on a mild downhill slope, without riding the clutch. Im sure you will hear the same sound but more exaggerated, if I understand what your describing. Its the worst when the clutch is fully engaged but your still rolling on the throttle to take off?

Last edited:

Yamacat1000

I apologize if this is just one of those things that are known about this bike (or bikes in general)... I'm pretty new to riding, so I'm still learning.

This is my third bike, and this issue didn't happen with my first two bikes (Ninja 250R and 650R), but with this bike, when first accelerating from a dead stop, there's sort of a rattling / almost grinding noise depending on the clutch/throttle ratio.

It seems to happen more when I left off the clutch quicker while accelerating from a dead stop... not so much when I ease off it very slowly. The place I bought it from (bought it brand new) said that it's normal when I showed it to them in person... they said you just hear things with naked bikes that you don't with faired ones. I might buy that to an extent, but I'm pretty sure if my first two bikes had been making a noise similar to this I would have heard it even though they had fairings.

I wish it were easier to record sound and post it online for people to hear what I'm referring to, and maybe I'll resort to that if it bothers me enough, but does anyone know the noise I'm referring to, and know if it's normal or something I should be worried about?

How many miles are on your bike?

K-Gr.

First gear engages like a hammer and is a bit louder then other when riding, but no rattling or anything on takeoff. Make sure you use clutch and throttle correctly and try taking it to another dealer.

sixtus

It's only got 550 miles on it right now, and I've been following the manufacturer break-in recommendations, so it's not that I beat it up too much when it was brand new and screwed something up.

It very well may be that I'm just sometimes letting off the clutch too quickly.

Ok, when the weather clears up I'm going to see about taking some video with audio to capture what I'm talking about and when it happens.

Thanks for the feedback...

sixtus

Oh, and I've always used the highest octane gas available around here (93), so that shouldn't be it either...

JRider

The shroud on my gas tank used to make obnoxious sound on take off or if I was running too low RPM around town. I only loosened the 4 bolts on the shroud and kept pressure on the center while retightening. I also tried 3 dealerships before finding one to give business to, these bikes are NOT noisy.

K-Gr.

Oh, and I've always used the highest octane gas available around here (93), so that shouldn't be it either...

Wow, the lowest octane gas available in Europe is 95 :)
But as far as I know, japanese bikes are fine with 91 and up.

D

DJK1505

I believe the man rec on fuel is 87 or 89, no need to use higher octane. Not getting any benefit out of it.

Most likely you are hearing your engine chug, try a little higher RPM from take off. Get a few other riders opinions, or try to stop by a dealer when your out riding and have another set of eyes look at it. Don't just take one dealers word, especially if your new, you will want a few opinions to base your opinion off of.

DJ

H

Hoover

You are wasting money bud. 87 octane is the recomended fuel and the bike runs just fine on it.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
The shroud on my gas tank used to make obnoxious sound on take off or if I was running too low RPM around town. I only loosened the 4 bolts on the shroud and kept pressure on the center while retightening. I also tried 3 dealerships before finding one to give business to, these bikes are NOT noisy.

Yup, I had a similar noise coming from my shroud as well and ended up placing a few strategic foam strips near the mounting holes. (I am fanatical about fixing squeaks and rattles, disassembled my cars interior not once but twice just to hunt down small squeaks) Anyways I also had a small buzzing noise at low RPM's from the flyscreen, but just a quarter turn on the mounting screws fixes that. I would personally try to rule out what little body work the bike has and work from there. With mileage that low if it was in fact mechanical I would be at the dealership in a heartbeat.

hypo

yeah, that jenga flyscreen made me cross my eyes with its construction as well as the rattles it would bring out... same for the tank/airfilter cowl.

sixtus

Hmmm... yeah, I don't think it's the shroud. It definitely sounds too much like a metallic rattling for that. And it's not just engine chugging from too little throttle - the issue was actually first noticed when I tried to take off more quickly than usual from a stop. I gave it more gas than normal and let off the clutch more quickly, and that was the first time I heard it.

I'm scheduled to bring it in for my 600 mile maintenance (I know you guys are probably shaking your heads right now at the fact that I'm not doing it myself... heh), and if it's still an issue after that I'm definitely going to take some video of it in action... I just hope the mic on my phone can pick up the sound well enough.

And yeah, I know I'm probably throwing money down the drain by buying the 93 octane gas (especially considering how often I need to fill it up... it doesn't exactly have impressive mpg).

D

DJK1505

Huh..., do you feel a vibration more when you hear it? Like when it grinds you feel a little harder vibration in your left foot?

thats crazy man, you could just be a bit more nervous or cautions to every sound the new bike is making, and its possible its a normal noise we all consider standard. Im not saying thats at all what it is. Hope you get it worked out, its a fun bike!

DJ

Black Widow

Avid Rider
After reading this thread i thought i would try to lug the bike on take-off, and no matter what i do it is very quiet.FWIW.