r6 throttle tube

Woody146

Banned
I've put about 1k on my bike since I did the swap and haven't seemed to have any issues with the low speed, I personally feel it has relieved some of the choppy on off acceleration it had before and mostly the annoying slack :2cents:. just curious where ya get a 1/8th turn from would love to get one of those ;) ,

Supposedly that would be an r1 throttle..I think may need a little modification...supposedly...

BigD

is there a write up (pics incl) anywhere of how to do this mod? as easy as it sounds i'm a picture person :) step by step and im all good..pics please :nw:

Woody146

Banned
is there a write up (pics incl) anywhere of how to do this mod? as easy as it sounds i'm a picture person :) step by step and im all good..pics please :nw:

Idk about the PVC pipe one..heard it's easy but I just went ahead and sprung for the throttle tube...

Very simple...undo 2 Allen bolts holding throttle together.(the 2 by the red button) then the housing will separate into two pieces..top and bottom...then your cables will be exposed....pop the cables out of the old throttle....put the new tube/ grip on...put the cables back in there holes on the new tube...(takes a little playing with to get them perfectly lined up) then lube it all with some thing...I used wd 40 and haven't had a problem...put it all back together..and you have a 1/6 turn throttle....then you have to adjust the free play...I would crank the bars all the way to,the right..and adjust from there(that is when cable is stretched the most)...and free play adjustment is the top cable running to the throttle....I would post pics but I'm on an ipad and I can't really edit..nor did I take pics when I did it....but there is lots of helpful info like this on f z 8 c e n t r a l . C o m..(no spaces..doesn't show up if I type a link)

BigD

Where are people getting the new tube from? I'd like to keep my current grips not having to cut them off..
thanks again :)

did you notice a worthy difference?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Woody146

Banned
Where are people getting the new tube from? I'd like to keep my current grips not having to cut them off..

I guess amazon or other online parts houses...I personally got mine at my local yamaha dealer..( they had it in stock) read up on this thread to make sure you get the correct one..I noticed a huuuuuuuuge difference...feels like a race bike to me..or r6 lol and it is super crisp with no slop...and now with this tune.......:sinister::fiddy: it's a whole new bike

DanS

Commuter

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C59NO2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly: Automotive[/ame]
Yes big difference! The advertisement is misleading, It appears to be a throttle tube with 2 grips, but it is the tube with a single grip. You can reuse your current grips. A little WD40, compressed air and a popsicle stick is what I used to get my grips off.

Mta1981

Amazon.com: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly: Automotive
Yes big difference! The advertisement is misleading, It appears to be a throttle tube with 2 grips, but it is the tube with a single grip. You can reuse your current grips. A little WD40, compressed air and a popsicle stick is what I used to get my grips off.

So with this listing, it comes with two grips? I'd love to change them, same damn boring grips on the FZ8 that were on my 05 FZ6!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C59NO2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly: Automotive[/ame]
Is there any difference between the white and black grip assembly?

dabner

Stock is a 1/4 turn... 90 degrees. I think we can all agree on that. The 2CO-26240-00 from Yamaha is actually a 1/5 turn... 70 degrees. Measured with a protractor, but it certainly isn't a 60 degree turn.
Can't wait for the snow to disappear and give it a whirl. It seems pretty aggressive just by feel. My only concern is throttle control at 0 to 1/4 throttle.
For those that have done the pvc trick, any chance you can take a solid measurement? I would think that because the pvc mod creates a lobb shaped throttle cam, it affects 0 - 1/4 throttle very little, but makes 1/4 to full throttle super aggressive... which is where we want it.

dabner

So it was a balmy 15 C (59F) in Ontario today, and I took the beast out with the new throttle tube. It's NOT too aggressive. Its just about right, and no fear of being too jumpy at low speeds.
I'd give it a 10/10 and the easiest and cheapest thing you can do to make it easier to utilize all of the bikes potential.

cmurder

Pillion
So it was a balmy 15 C (59F) in Ontario today, and I took the beast out with the new throttle tube. It's NOT too aggressive. Its just about right, and no fear of being too jumpy at low speeds.
I'd give it a 10/10 and the easiest and cheapest thing you can do to make it easier to utilize all of the bikes potential.

its actually not bad at all after 20 minutes you will be used to it and WOOOOOHHHHTING all over the place .. some bikes will require some cable adjustments most havent ,, def the best mod for the money

BanditGville

Thanks woody146 for the Yamaha part number. Copy and pasted it into Ebay 1st one that pops up was $18 free shipping ***ordered it** on its way!!

HeresMyMind

You can use your stock one, just take it off the old tube, and spray the inside with hair spray and slide it on the new tube

-B

bpassmore8

def the best mod for the money

Agreed! Went for the first ride today after doing it and it feels like a different bike. You notice how much fasted you get to your next shift point under hard acceleration. Be prepared on your first hard pull because it isn't what you are used to. I ordered the Motion Pro 01-0094 and do still have that play in the throttle before it engages. I was hoping it would lose that free play but not a big deal

Keach

Agreed! Went for the first ride today after doing it and it feels like a different bike. You notice how much fasted you get to your next shift point under hard acceleration. Be prepared on your first hard pull because it isn't what you are used to. I ordered the Motion Pro 01-0094 and do still have that play in the throttle before it engages. I was hoping it would lose that free play but not a big deal

You can loose the free play by adjusting the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpassmore8

You can loose the free play by adjusting the cable.

Ya I just got done doing that. I put the tube on in a hurry and didn't even realize it was closed on the end so my bar end mirror wouldn't go on so I cut the end off so it sits flush and has access to the threads inside the bar. Much better now

sean282

great mod, thanks. i used the 07 R6 part off the yamaha site. Works well for me in all conditions. Great on the wrist.