r6 throttle tube

cmurder

Pillion
for those you have not done this yet it is the best $23 bucks you will spend,
A: no more annoying throttle slack
B: the bike responds like it should have ..

i have a post with the part number for the right throttle tube ,, worth every penny and took 3 minutes to install ...

bikee4

Heres the one I just ordered 1/6 twist

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C59NO2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly: Automotive[/ame]

Woody146

Banned
Just for clarification....white or black? Opinions...? And installation...all you do is cut off grip..unbolt and slide off and new one on?

G

GNoiZZ

Just for clarification....white or black? Opinions...? And installation...all you do is cut off grip..unbolt and slide off and new one on?

Have the R6 tube (white one ) since middle of last year and it's straight plug and play. Adjusted mine so that there is 0 free-play anymore...makes a big difference.

cmurder

Pillion
2006-2009 R6 - 1/6th turn 2C0-26240-00-00 $18 @ Ron Ayres

plug and play

fyi, it can only be ordered with the grip so if you want both grips to match you will need to buy the left side grip also or pull your old one off your throttle tube

Last edited:

Monkey

What's the differences when there's 0 free play? In the manual, there's a specified free play for the throttle. I believe there is a reason for the free play.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I think the essential difference is that the tube is thicker and doesn't need to turn as far for WOT. Which means overall distance from closed throttle to WOT is shorter (in sheer distance), but also what that means is you're basically opening the throttle at a faster rate when you do accelerate. I'm down!

Woody146

Banned
I know there are two that fit...a white and black..one is 1/6 and other 1/5 there is a thread deep on here somewhere..I'll try to find it.....but I'm going to get direct from San Jose yamaha so I hope it's just plastic throttle....

Woody146

Banned
So i found this pretty informative and i had also sent an email to motion pro about this , the motion pro 0094 is basically the universal replacement for all the Yam bikes camber is a little less then a true 1/5 turn just fyi ...

""""Thought I would compile some info about the differences in the various R6/R1 throttle tubes here, consolidated from some of my posts on ADV. It may help people that are confused about the conflicting info on this subject.

1999-2005 R6 - 1/5th turn 5SL-26240-01
2006-2009 R6S - 1/5th turn 5SL-26240-01

And the R1 throttle tube is also 1/5 turn.

If you have the black R6 throttle tube, the part number is 5SL-26240-01 and its the smaller cam 1/5 turn tube from the older R6, the R6S, or the R1. If you have the white R6 throttle tube, the part number is 2C0-26240-00-00 this is the larger cam 1/6 turn from the newer R6. """"""

Thanks cmurder!!

Woody146

Banned
So i found this pretty informative and i had also sent an email to motion pro about this , the motion pro 0094 is basically the universal replacement for all the Yam bikes camber is a little less then a true 1/5 turn just fyi ...

""""Thought I would compile some info about the differences in the various R6/R1 throttle tubes here, consolidated from some of my posts on ADV. It may help people that are confused about the conflicting info on this subject.

1999-2005 R6 - 1/5th turn 5SL-26240-01
2006-2009 R6S - 1/5th turn 5SL-26240-01

And the R1 throttle tube is also 1/5 turn.

If you have the black R6 throttle tube, the part number is 5SL-26240-01 and its the smaller cam 1/5 turn tube from the older R6, the R6S, or the R1. If you have the white R6 throttle tube, the part number is 2C0-26240-00-00 this is the larger cam 1/6 turn from the newer R6. """"""

Thanks cmurder!!

That was a quote from cmurder....not me

cmurder

Pillion
you never want any slack in your throttle, thats just my opinion, its more important to have proper snap back or position return then anything else the faster the tube returns to 0 the better .. eliminating the slack not only does it increase response but also helps with wrist fatigue , the less you have to move your wrists the better ...

Woody146

Banned
My wrists is my biggest problem...bought alpinestars sp1 gauntlet gloves to help...I could see this pretty much eliminating that problem.

Woody146

Banned
Bought white one today for $25..put it on..it's nice..zero free play and can get to full throttle without repositioning my hand..worth it

bikee4

Just Put the one I ordered from the link I posted and wow! does it shrink the rotation of the throttle!. Wish this goddamn snow we just got would GO AWAY!!!!

cmurder

Pillion
i think the throttle tub is prob one of the best bangs for the buck.. and it takes 5 min tops to install.. first gear wheelies should come a little easier now also, i did notice the front lift more in 2nd gear when letting the hammer drop . Sunday we do forks and ZFI tuning !!

MikeC

Weekend Rider
My R6 tube just came in and it feels awesome! Didn't get a chance to ride but already the turn feels a lot shorter!

A few insights I had:
1) If you're a newbie, don't be afraid to pull apart the throttle wire casing. There's nothing spring loaded and you'd be really surprised by it's simple mechanism. This is definitely a mod for first time DIY'ers and extremely helpful for understanding how the throttle control works. Don't worry there's nothing you can break.

2) If your current FZ8 tube has a bit of play, the R6 tube will FEEL like it picks up the slack but you should ALWAYS ALWAYS re-adjust the free play to make sure its not overtightened or undertightened. I had my throttle adjusted to zero slack for the FZ8 throttle tube and it felt like something was wrong because the R6 tube wasn't returning to the closed position. Turns out there was some over tightening, and after I loosened up the wire lengthener and readjusted and it was perfect!

3) Graphite Powder Lube in the Throttle tube will prevent gunk buildup.

Best of Luck!! :)

Woody146

Banned
My R6 tube just came in and it feels awesome! Didn't get a chance to ride but already the turn feels a lot shorter!

A few insights I had:
1) If you're a newbie, don't be afraid to pull apart the throttle wire casing. There's nothing spring loaded and you'd be really surprised by it's simple mechanism. This is definitely a mod for first time DIY'ers and extremely helpful for understanding how the throttle control works. Don't worry there's nothing you can break.

2) If your current FZ8 tube has a bit of play, the R6 tube will FEEL like it picks up the slack but you should ALWAYS ALWAYS re-adjust the free play to make sure its not overtightened or undertightened. I had my throttle adjusted to zero slack for the FZ8 throttle tube and it felt like something was wrong because the R6 tube wasn't returning to the closed position. Turns out there was some over tightening, and after I loosened up the wire lengthener and readjusted and it was perfect!

3) Graphite Powder Lube in the Throttle tube will prevent gunk buildup.

Best of Luck!! :)

Awesome write up! A day short for me though lol...I was intimidated of the throttle housing..but I moved the boot back and it just separated :D good call on tension...need to check that....I lubed it with my graphite gun lube;)

Woody146

Banned
for those you have not done this yet it is the best $23 bucks you will spend,
A: no more annoying throttle slack
B: the bike responds like it should have ..

i have a post with the part number for the right throttle tube ,, worth every penny and took 3 minutes to install ...

Good stuff man...saw this mod years ago on youtube...don't know why I waited so long...best mod to date!

MotoZen

Does the grip size stay the same? I just bought heated grips and may want to do this mod before I install them.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.