R6 Clip ons Installed

cambo

Avid Rider
It fit...but it was a little small. I made it work though.

That's what she said.

I almost dropped some dough on brand new renthals but the sales guy at the local honda dealership just so happened to have a pair of r6 clip ons that he had just swapped out and was willing to sell me. I told myself anything under 50 bucks I'll take it. He said 30. Score.

Taking the triple tree off was a pain in the ass because of the two 10mm bolts that hold the instrument cluster bracket on. and because I have sausage fingers.

Also, had to dremel the shit outta the right side headlight fairing to push the master cylinder as far in as possible to make room for the throttle housing. So now I have not one but two f*cked up headlight fairings. I can't even mount the left sideburn piece haha. I only have the right side on. and that side burn is like, cut in half. G'damn my bike is f*cked up lmao.

In the pics you can see how tight the spacing is. The handlebar grips hang off the ends of the bars about an inch. It's not so bad on the throttle size because of the throttle tube but it definitely feels weird on the clutch side. I tried to remedy it by sawing an inch off the old clubman bars and shoving it in the grip...and it's a little better but just not as solid as I'd like.

I took it for a test ride around the block. The riding position definitely feels much more aggressive between both the vortex rearsets and the clip ons. I'm not even going to ride it into work tomorrow. I need to find time and a parking lot and practice my slow maneuvers. No kidding, the ride is completely, completely different. I don't want to be caught in traffic showing my ass lol.

Last edited:

TwoWheels

It fit...but it was a little small. I made it work though.

That's what she said.

I almost dropped some dough on brand new renthals but the sales guy at the local honda dealership just so happened to have a pair of r6 clip ons that he had just swapped out and was willing to sell me. I told myself anything under 50 bucks I'll take it. He said 30. Score.

Taking the triple tree off was a pain in the ass because of the two 10mm bolts that hold the instrument cluster bracket on. and because I have sausage fingers.

Also, had to dremel the shit outta the right side headlight fairing to push the master cylinder as far in as possible to make room for the throttle housing. So now I have not one but two f*cked up headlight fairings. I can't even mount the left sideburn piece haha. I only have the right side on. and that side burn is like, cut in half. G'damn my bike is f*cked up lmao.

In the pics you can see how tight the spacing is. The handlebar grips hang off the ends of the bars about an inch. It's not so bad on the throttle size because of the throttle tube but it definitely feels weird on the clutch side. I tried to remedy it by sawing an inch off the old clubman bars and shoving it in the grip...and it's a little better but just not as solid as I'd like.

I took it for a test ride around the block. The riding position definitely feels much more aggressive between both the vortex rearsets and the clip ons. I'm not even going to ride it into work tomorrow, I need to find time, a parking lot, and practice my slow maneuvers. No kidding, the ride is completely, completely different. I don't want to be caught in traffic showing my ass lol.

You know that now you have clip-ons, and that means that I'm not the only one, that you have created a man-crush between you and I ;) We can work on our chicken strips and wheelie tactics from half a world away.... Penis jokes are mandatory ;)

RoadKill

looks pretty cool though cambo! too bad you have to mod so much. I wonder how close to an r6 position you are with this setup.

cambo

Avid Rider
You know that now you have clip-ons, and that means that I'm not the only one, that you have created a man-crush between you and I ;) We can work on our chicken strips and wheelie tactics from half a world away.... Penis jokes are mandatory ;)

lmfao! hell yeah dude, how are you liking them? Which clip ons did you go with? Did you switch to a smaller master cylinder? Did you have to dremel stuff too? Do you have good girth? Wait, what? nevermind that question. Do you have full turning radius still? I have decent turning radius, but with the gas tank fairing off. Still no full lock though.

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! You beat me too it Cambo! Mine new (correct size) clip ons are on order.

cambo

Avid Rider
Soooo what are u doing with your clubman set up? :)

ah man! dude I totally forgot you were interested in the bars. I sawed off a piece to shove into the clutch side grip!

and then I realized I sawed off too much so I sawed off a smaller piece!

the bar is ruined man, my bad!!

you're more than welcome to it if you want it. I mean the bars are still plenty long.

cambo

Avid Rider
Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh! You beat me too it Cambo! Mine new (correct size) clip ons are on order.

haha dude, I wasn't even planning on doing this until the winter time. I was having no luck finding anything decent under 100 bucks...even used ones.

I completely lucked out with this $30 pair!

Which clip ons are you going with again?

I like the renthal ones but after having gone through the ordeal of taking the triple tree off...I'm gravitating towards the woodcraft three piece set that doesn't require you to remove the triple tree...

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Which clip ons are you going with again?
I'm gravitating towards the woodcraft three piece set that doesn't require you to remove the triple tree...

I'm getting apex clip on risers..... And yes, I have to disassemble the front end a bit.... No worries.

thach1130

cambo, you're the forum's hero for being a lab rat on so many mods. It looks pretty good, but it could be a little longer...That's what she said.

cambo

Avid Rider
cambo, you're the forum's hero for being a lab rat on so many mods.

hahah, I appreciate that but I wouldn't go as far as to say 'hero'. There's folks out there doing much, much more complicated stuff i.e. Marthy, Jumb, Rabbitman...shit even yourself bro. I've seen your bike! I, on the other hand, get excited when I can successfully operate a drill...and I feel the need to post about it.

I just try to contribute as much as this simple mind can contribute haha.

It looks pretty good, but it could be a little longer...That's what she said.

lolol, even though coming up with the line, and adding a That's what she said is quasi-cheating...well played!

TwoWheels

lmfao! hell yeah dude, how are you liking them? Which clip ons did you go with? Did you switch to a smaller master cylinder? Did you have to dremel stuff too? Do you have good girth? Wait, what? nevermind that question. Do you have full turning radius still? I have decent turning radius, but with the gas tank fairing off. Still no full lock though.

:) I went with the Apex clipons, because of the adjustable angles, and because they have an option to rise up to 4" (get it? :p) Lol, but I've never taken them above the lowest setting. Instead of having the bars angled down, like on the Ninjas, CBRs, etc, I set them out level. I still have full turning radius on mine. Plastics and all.

You want girth? 7/8" baby, ALL day long. I cut about an inch off both ends (girth is more important, that's what the lady mags tell me), and still rock all the stock components (switches, etc), except I use an RSC clutch lever.

F3NIX

:) I went with the Apex clipons, because of the adjustable angles, and because they have an option to rise up to 4" (get it? :p) Lol, but I've never taken them above the lowest setting. Instead of having the bars angled down, like on the Ninjas, CBRs, etc, I set them out level. I still have full turning radius on mine. Plastics and all.

You want girth? 7/8" baby, ALL day long. I cut about an inch off both ends (girth is more important, that's what the lady mags tell me), and still rock all the stock components (switches, etc), except I use an RSC clutch lever.

Can u post more pics please. I have been thinking of doing this and I was looking at the same set. Do u think it would be worth getting the 3 piece ones or isnt it too difficult taking the triple tree off? Can u still lock the steering?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my phone

MotoZen

This makes me think. I was trying to cafe my old Honda, but never quite found the time/money. This mod may be in my future. What's the seating position like? Would it be really uncomfortable for commuting?

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

TwoWheels

Can u post more pics please. I have been thinking of doing this and I was looking at the same set. Do u think it would be worth getting the 3 piece ones or isnt it too difficult taking the triple tree off? Can u still lock the steering?

Thanks in advance

No problem! :) I like the riser option in case I ever feel like raising them. Like if I was going to take a long road trip or something. I still have steering lock, no issues. Removing the triple tree is no problem at all, just have a rubber mallet ready when you want to put it back on :)

The seating position is more aggressive, but not in an uncomfortable way. I actually prefer it. I only do 2 hour-ish commutes, and I'm never fatigued or have back pain or anything :)

Range of motion:

Last edited:

F3NIX

It looks like u had plenty of room for all the controls. Did u cut the bars down or is that stock length?

I think im sold. Im looking for a little more aggressive position as long as im not sacrificing turn radius or steering lock. The upright position kinda sucks at 100+!! Lol

How long would you estimate it took for you to install them?

Thanks for all the info in advance. :)

Sent from my phone

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I'm waiting on my correct apex riser clip ons to show up right now, yours look siiiiiick man. Thx for putting up the pics I was a little worried about not knowing what it would look like or anything lol

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
There's folks out there doing much, much more complicated stuff i.e. Marthy, Jumb, Rabbitman...shit even yourself bro. I've seen your bike! I, on the other hand, get excited when I can successfully operate a drill...and I feel the need to post about it.

Thanks man, I try my best. When are you going to get me something else that I can retrofit?

TwoWheels

It looks like u had plenty of room for all the controls. Did u cut the bars down or is that stock length?

I think im sold. Im looking for a little more aggressive position as long as im not sacrificing turn radius or steering lock. The upright position kinda sucks at 100+!! Lol

How long would you estimate it took for you to install them?

Thanks for all the info in advance. :)

I'm waiting on my correct apex riser clip ons to show up right now, yours look siiiiiick man. Thx for putting up the pics I was a little worried about not knowing what it would look like or anything lol

Thanks for the love ;) I cut the bars down about 1" on each side. Still had plenty of room without having to sacrifice anything. All in all, it's a quick install, and doesn't require any crazy special tools. The longest part? There are positioner "markings" or tabs on the stock electronics. I dremmeled those off, and used a small strip of F4 tape (rubber tape that only sticks to itself) between the bars and the electronics. It holds them in there solid as hell. 2-2.5 hours total. Just a fun project :)

I had already dremmeled out the plastic gauge housing quite a bit to fit my headlight's "look", so be forewarned, you will probably have to do a little on the stock plastics for the cables to route through...