Potential buyer - question on vibes

GarryM

I get some vibes with my bike around 5000rpm but I dont seem to ride at that engine speed much so it doesn't bother me and if I do they aren't particularly invasive anyway. The soggy rear suspension and uncomfortable seat were bigger issues for me.

RnR

I'm thinking the FZ is back at the top of my short list. Thanks again for the input. It's helped alot. Who knows I may end up with one of those new owners posts.

Harrywz

I'm thinking the FZ is back at the top of my short list. Thanks again for the input. It's helped alot. Who knows I may end up with one of those new owners posts.

You will like the FZ. I had a blast on the 511 on Sunday. Kuryakyn makes ISO grips for sport bikes now.....not that I would use em. Avon makes some nice grips as well. I'm just running the stock ones and on Sunday was able to ride gloveless. Ya, I'm one of these guys who wears a "T" and a helmet. Feel less confined. I have a Joe Rocket UFO mesh jacket and a JR Atomic 10 and some cold weather beast with a liner but feel most comfortable riding down the hiway showing "butt-crack"

Just ask Greg or Adam about me and they can tell you I've bought a few bikes from them. Doing good this year, am only on number 2 and thats the Fazer. Was almost tempted with the ZX14 they had. Sat on it and I could feel
my shoulders and neck tense. The upright riding stance on the FZ is great and has plenty of get up and go. I don't know if I would consider it a beginner bike, more like intermediate and advanced, but its predictable (most of the time). Sure the suspension could use some tweeking but Yamaha built a nice all rounder thats good around town and on the hiway as well as twisties. Once you get on it, hit a few twisties you will have forgotten about any vibrations and will have a hard time wiping that SH*T eatin' grin of your face. Plus the price on getting a leftover 11 is pretty good.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
If you're worried about vibration, just knock all those triples and twins off the list. Get an inline 4. FZ-8 is the way to go if you want something comfortable, sporty, quick (but not ballistic), nimble, and inexpensive (relatively). Hope to see pics of your new FZ-8 on the forum soon! Good luck with your search! And, btw: "vibes? What vibes?"

TeleRob

I've had the following bikes in no particular order and I've never had vibes that have prevented riding. the cruisers had a low rpm vibration, and I don't remember any vibration for the Kawi bikes.
Kawi Versys - twin
Kawi ZZR1200 - I4
Yam Vstar
Yam Virago 1100

I'm still trying to sort out the FZ8 vibration at 5K. I have just gotten my vibranators, and if that doesn't work I'm going with Renthals, or maybe Renthals with the vibranators, but that would require to get new rubber inserts since the Renthals have a different inner diameter.
I'll post my impressions soon, I was away from my bike all summer :(

I never had vibes during break in because I never rode in the rpm ranges and the point of the break in is to vary the rpms, right?

With all that said, I'm still not willing to give up on it, because I like the bike too much!

RnR

I've had the following bikes in no particular order and I've never had vibes that have prevented riding. the cruisers had a low rpm vibration, and I don't remember any vibration for the Kawi bikes.
Kawi Versys - twin
Kawi ZZR1200 - I4
Yam Vstar
Yam Virago 1100

I'm still trying to sort out the FZ8 vibration at 5K. I have just gotten my vibranators, and if that doesn't work I'm going with Renthals, or maybe Renthals with the vibranators, but that would require to get new rubber inserts since the Renthals have a different inner diameter.
I'll post my impressions soon, I was away from my bike all summer :(

I never had vibes during break in because I never rode in the rpm ranges and the point of the break in is to vary the rpms, right?

With all that said, I'm still not willing to give up on it, because I like the bike too much!

This is the first time I've heard of Vibranators. They look interesting. I didn't see FZ8 listed. I'm assuming the FZ1 set fits the FZ8. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I'm even closer to purchase now. Talking turkey stage.

W

WARPTH

This is the first time I've heard of Vibranators. They look interesting. I didn't see FZ8 listed. I'm assuming the FZ1 set fits the FZ8. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Its taken you 5 + days to decide on a purchase? Whats wrong with you! If you have broken the salesmans balls for all that time you should be paying full retail. ;)
Mine was purchased in about 5 minutes!

TeleRob

the Vibranators really didn't kill the buzz for me, and they won't fit in the Renthal bars because the Renthals have some orange insert in there.

The Renthals are nice, but both my hands were still stinging.

It looks like I'll be selling my bike and parts. I'll have to try something different, unless I've developed carpal tunnel or something.

RnR

Its taken you 5 + days to decide on a purchase? Whats wrong with you! If you have broken the salesmans balls for all that time you should be paying full retail. ;)
Mine was purchased in about 5 minutes!

Hehehe

This is Ottawa. You do a deal here in 5 minutes and you'll soon realize you're pants are around your ankles and your wallet is gone. :emb:

Plus I have a trade in and several dealer options complicating things.

RnR

the Vibranators really didn't kill the buzz for me, and they won't fit in the Renthal bars because the Renthals have some orange insert in there.

The Renthals are nice, but both my hands were still stinging.

It looks like I'll be selling my bike and parts. I'll have to try something different, unless I've developed carpal tunnel or something.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble resolving things. If it comes to selling your parts ... shoot me a PM. But I hope you're able to work it out. Maybe you could try a mate's bike or do a rental and see if you have discomfort on other rides. I can say from experience that a HD Classic or Ultra Classic is about the smoothest bike around and easy to rent. Just a thought.

RnR

Just wanted to follow up on this question, for anyone that may be searching and trying to figure out if the FZ has vibration problems.

I have about 1000km on mine now and there are really no vibes at all to complain about. I'm thinking that the Fazer I rode had a problem - throttle bodies out of sync or something loose. If mine was the only one I rode I wouldn't even have started this thread. It's that smooth.

Skully

I just traded a Versys on my new FZ8 and it's super smooth in comparison. My index finger was numb for two days after a 300 mile ride on the Versys.

Niko

I discovered vibes while wearing normal shoes, when I wear my Dainese boots, I don't feel anything....

Conclusion : always wear boots for your protection and vibes...