Potential buyer - question on vibes

RnR

Greeting folks. :)

I tested a Fazer8 a couple of days back. This bike has so much of what I'm looking for. Though the one thing that may be a deal breaker for me is the ~5K RPM vibration. I could feel it in the seat, the tank, and quite bad in the grips. Bad enough that my fingers were going numb after about 20 minutes. I was pretty disappointed because otherwise the Fazer/FZ8 is a great fit for me.

At first I thought the throttle bodies might need to be synced. BTW it had about 450km on it. Also thought maybe it was a one off and had something loose or some other unusual trouble. Of course turned to a bit of research and found that others complain about vibration.

So now I'm turning you, the owners, for feedback. Is this vibration something that can be eliminated or have you learned to live with it? I thought a poll would be an idea but didn't seem to have that option. Anyway I was thinking something like:

Where has your experience been with regard to FZ vibes?

1) Vibration? What vibration?
2) Wasn't too bad. I'm used to it now.
3) There was some. It smoothed out as the bike broke in.
4) Yes annoying vibration. Fixed with one or more - grips, new bars, bar ends, silicon, tightened something up.
5) Nothing I've done has helped.

Thanks in advance for your comments. I'd hate to have to scratch this cycle of my short list.

RoadKill

The peak vibration does seem to be around 5k on my FZ8 but it has never annoyed me. As a matter of fact all the MC's i have owned have had an RPM where they would vibrate the most at. compared to my last MC (ninja 650r) the FZ8 is super smooth!

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I bought my 2012 FZ8 new in June. I haven't had the first bit of vibration problems at any rpm. Sorry I can't be more help. I'd look to test ride a different FZ8.

C

Camo

Number one for me mate.
I know gel grips have helped as have aftermarket bars for those who suffered vibes.

I can testify that the 8 has the smile factor and that it's likely you won't be disappointed :)

W

WARPTH

+1 for no vibes either. looks like the ones that get brought into australia dont vibrate ;)

Harrywz

Greeting folks. :)

I tested a Fazer8 a couple of days back. This bike has so much of what I'm looking for. Though the one thing that may be a deal breaker for me is the ~5K RPM vibration. I could feel it in the seat, the tank, and quite bad in the grips. Bad enough that my fingers were going numb after about 20 minutes. I was pretty disappointed because otherwise the Fazer/FZ8 is a great fit for me.

At first I thought the throttle bodies might need to be synced. BTW it had about 450km on it. Also thought maybe it was a one off and had something loose or some other unusual trouble. Of course turned to a bit of research and found that others complain about vibration.

So now I'm turning you, the owners, for feedback. Is this vibration something that can be eliminated or have you learned to live with it? I thought a poll would be an idea but didn't seem to have that option. Anyway I was thinking something like:

Where has your experience been with regard to FZ vibes?

1) Vibration? What vibration?
2) Wasn't too bad. I'm used to it now.
3) There was some. It smoothed out as the bike broke in.
4) Yes annoying vibration. Fixed with one or more - grips, new bars, bar ends, silicon, tightened something up.
5) Nothing I've done has helped.

Thanks in advance for your comments. I'd hate to have to scratch this cycle of my short list.

I don't find it a problem at all. I have a Fazer8 and am quite happy with it (most of the time). My right hand gets tingly most of the time but this is me, not the bike. I have had that problem since I got back into bikes 11 years ago. Its called old age and carpal tunnel. I used to get it worse on an R1 where you have more downward pressure on your wrist. As for your question, I would go number (2). When I ride most roads around here, I am doing 90 - 95kmph and the revs are around 4500 - 4600. Yesterday coming home from Calabogie on 417 was doing a wee bit better hitting revs around 6000rpm and 6500rpm a couple of times;) When I had my 07 R1, I found it buzzy as well around the same RPM range. The FZ8 and Fazer8 have their engines based on the 07 - 08 R1's so basically its the nature of the beast. If you really want to feels vibrations, reach around and grab the passenger hand grip behind you on a Fazer....that really buzzes.

V

Vapordan

There's a thread in here about vibration, gives the physics behind it and the workarounds - not solutions. You see mixed reviews here because it is the sensitivity to the vibration that affects different people differently. If its tingly, you are sensitive to that frequency so there are ways to move that sensitivity to another frequency aka RPM that doesn't bother u as much. Mine seemed to have eased off. I learned to relax my grip, grip the tank more and ride at a higher RPM. Good luck.

The Arsenal

Chalk up another #1 response here in Arizona. No vibrations. Out of curiosity...what other bikes on your "short list"?

H

Hoover

I switched my bars to Renthals and gel grips. Almost all the buzz is gone.

BLAZEX09

Commuter
Compared to my old GS500 this thing is smooth. compared with my R6 it is a bit buzzy at around 5k but not enough to bother me. So my answer is: 2

compensation

I get numb also with the handlebars. Thinking about clip ons anyways. What made the vibration worse for me was the bar end mirrors I put on.

RnR

Thanks everyone for the responses. I appreciate you taking the time to help a fellow biker out. :tup:

I hear what you are saying Vapordan. I've read your other posts too. It really seems to me that some have the vibes and some don't. I'd be surprised if the one I rode wouldn't irritate everyone. I suspect it might vary a lot from bike to bike. Moving it to a different frequency is a good idea - up 1 to 1.5krpm would be good.

Harrywz we are in the same neck of the woods. If you are ever so inclined take the blue Fazer 8 from Powersports for a spin and see how it compares to yours. Tell Dom or Greg that you heard a guy named Rob was whinning about the not so pleasant buzz.

I've had my share of inline 4s and they are buzzy but this was pretty extreme. My ZX9R and CBR600RR would make my hands go tingly but that was from the pressure of the low bars. The FZ/Fazer puts negligible pressure on the hands and wrists IMO. I've never ridden an R1 or an R6 for that matter. The closest Yamaha would be an FJR, doubt that really compares.

Hoover I think the Renthals and gel grips are a promising option. Have you ever considered putting on a set of heavier bar ends too?

For The Arsenal's curiosity, my short list:
1) Monster 696 or 796
2) Street Triple
3) GSX650F
4) FZ6R

You may roll your eyes at couple of these as generally considered pretty gutless beginner bikes. I've had plenty fast cycles and I'm sure I can live with less power. I like a bike I can flog a bit and not be completely ballistic. Plus I'm pushing 50 and it's time to settle back and just enjoy the ride. No. Cruisers are not an option. I like nimble. Good brakes and handling are part of our toolkit to stay safe out there.

So you see the FZ8 would be a nice fit.

The Arsenal

Make sure you check out the ergonomics on those Duc Monsters....I am 5'11" and 165 lbs. and also was going to get one of those; but after a test ride it was just too uncomfortable. Leaning foward with pressure on the wrists; felt like I had done a push up the whole ride. Also; the Duc just wasn't as smooth. The riding position was a huge factor for me with getting the FZ8. So comfortable on long rides.
Having said all that though...I really like the Ducati Streetfighter. More comfortable and more power. But my budget said "not just yet".
Maybe one day.
Good luck with your search. I have yet to say that I wish I had got a different bike. Smiles everytime I ride.

RnR

Make sure you check out the ergonomics on those Duc Monsters....I am 5'11" and 165 lbs. and also was going to get one of those; but after a test ride it was just too uncomfortable. Leaning foward with pressure on the wrists; felt like I had done a push up the whole ride. Also; the Duc just wasn't as smooth. The riding position was a huge factor for me with getting the FZ8. So comfortable on long rides.
Having said all that though...I really like the Ducati Streetfighter. More comfortable and more power. But my budget said "not just yet".
Maybe one day.
Good luck with your search. I have yet to say that I wish I had got a different bike. Smiles everytime I ride.

My experience is I always want a different bike :D

The Street Triple is a bit more aggressive too. Those triples have an intoxicating wail though. There's a Monster not too far away I might be able to get a test ride on.

Harrywz

Thanks everyone for the responses. I appreciate you taking the time to help a fellow biker out. :tup:

I hear what you are saying Vapordan. I've read your other posts too. It really seems to me that some have the vibes and some don't. I'd be surprised if the one I rode wouldn't irritate everyone. I suspect it might vary a lot from bike to bike. Moving it to a different frequency is a good idea - up 1 to 1.5krpm would be good.

Harrywz we are in the same neck of the woods. If you are ever so inclined take the blue Fazer 8 from Powersports for a spin and see how it compares to yours. Tell Dom or Greg that you heard a guy named Rob was whinning about the not so pleasant buzz.

I've had my share of inline 4s and they are buzzy but this was pretty extreme. My ZX9R and CBR600RR would make my hands go tingly but that was from the pressure of the low bars. The FZ/Fazer puts negligible pressure on the hands and wrists IMO. I've never ridden an R1 or an R6 for that matter. The closest Yamaha would be an FJR, doubt that really compares.

Hoover I think the Renthals and gel grips are a promising option. Have you ever considered putting on a set of heavier bar ends too?

For The Arsenal's curiosity, my short list:
1) Monster 696 or 796
2) Street Triple
3) GSX650F
4) FZ6R

You may roll your eyes at couple of these as generally considered pretty gutless beginner bikes. I've had plenty fast cycles and I'm sure I can live with less power. I like a bike I can flog a bit and not be completely ballistic. Plus I'm pushing 50 and it's time to settle back and just enjoy the ride. No. Cruisers are not an option. I like nimble. Good brakes and handling are part of our toolkit to stay safe out there.

So you see the FZ8 would be a nice fit.

I've ridden quite a few different bikes over the last few years including cruisers but always come back to sportbikes. The Fazer is a nice fit, bit more displacement than a 600 but less than the 1000. Problem with bikes is you don't get everything you want with one bike and you have to compromise. With the Yamaha's in line 4's you will get buzziness. You will probably get the same feeling with other manufactures as well. The 09 and up R1 feels a bit different due to the cross plane crank, lot smoother and mirrors vibrate a lot less. Biggest problem with todays sportbikes is the motor becomes part of the frame structure and is mounted as a stress member and not mounted on rubber. I was out riding around town today, was hitting the 5K mark and was doing about 110 - 115kmph and truthfully the vibrations aren't that bad. I had an 07 R1 and vibrations were on par or a bit more than the 8 but the clip-ons were hard on my wrists, too much downward pressure.
BTW, the Fazer is really low for insurance premiums. Getting an FZ1 would double my premium, would be equal to the rate on an R1.