polished pipes

FastZ8

How exactly does steel wool ruin headers? I've seen a lot of people use it and brillo pads with with the soap on them. Never thought they looked ruined. A lot of people on other bike forums use it and some suggest it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pajkrubi

Also you do realize their are several different grades of steel wool right? 0000 steel wool is fine enough you can use it and some oil to take fine rust off of a blued gun without harming the bluing.

Nice start on the forum! Way to make friends right off the bat!:tdown:

FastZ8

Also you do realize their are several different grades of steel wool right? 0000 steel wool is fine enough you can use it and some oil to take fine rust off of a blued gun without harming the bluing.

That's what I'm saying. On here everyone should feel like they are among friends.We are not here to bash one another.Personally I believe the header turned out nice and so do some of the others on here.

pajkrubi

Yeah the guy kinda went off the deep end and got real condescending over nothing. I'm actually not really a fan of them super polished where they look almost chrome anyway. I prefer the blueing up near the head with the light yellow/gold the rest of the way. When mine start to get grimy I'll probably just very lightly polish them just enough to get the grime off but leave the yellowish/gold hue. But to each their own, some like them looking like chrome and it's their bike so have at it.

FastZ8

Yeah got a little too harsh there I think. I'm not a fan of the shine either I like the gold tint too which mine have but I have started to get a couple of spots on mine around the first bends near the head so I'll probably be looking into cleaning and polishing here shortly when the weather warms up

pajkrubi

Here's a pretty good youtube video I saw awhile back about polishing the pipes. He uses stuff that's made by yoshimura and is pretty expensive and kinda hard to come by but I'd imagine any good quality, non-abrasive metal polish would work just as well.

I use blue magic metal polish to polish trigger assemblys on firearms and it works really good at that. It's also fairly cheap and wally world stocks it in the automotive section.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...44LwCQ&usg=AFQjCNGtUssPJi3CpyZ86qvSmKe-G9fnnA

FastZ8

I've seen some guys use oven cook top type cleaner...I tried it once.Turned out good with no harm to the finish it took out pretty much all the discoloration and the gold tint but I've put a few miles on her since then and they are back to gold now.lol

Woody146

Banned

HAhaha

lance2448

I polished the headers on this bike once. I didn't really like it. So the next time I polished them with paint :p