PCV map round up.

Marthy

One last question, does the rear wheel have to be off the ground to calibrate te map and speed sensor?

The pre-program value from Dynojet are pretty spot on for the gears usually. But if you don't run the stock gearing yes, you need to have the rear wheel off the ground.

1st you need to set the scalar #

Lets assume that your speedo is calibrated. Set the speed at 40 MPH to calibrate the scalar #. With the wheel off the ground in 6th gear (less rpm) nbring up the speedo to 40MPH then click calibrate on the computer screen.

Then you need to do each gears. That's easier. Just go thru all gear 1-6 and hit calibrate to each of them. Then at the end you click "blend" or something like that on the bottom of the window... and your done. But I won't worry too much with that... Dynojet should have it all configure right.

xXAvroArrowXx

So before I lay my cash down... There is an active link already set up with maps? How many? Any V&H slip on no air box mod specific?

decooney

So before I lay my cash down... There is an active link already set up with maps? How many? Any V&H slip on no air box mod specific?

xXAvroArrowXx,
If you are moving towards a slip-on, I'll know a bit more in a few weeks. I plan to follow up with Marthy on this site. He runs an Autotune with his Power Commander with the same setup you are looking at. I received my V&H slip-on in the mail today and will install this weekend. I'll try it for a bit and then likley do the PCV next. I want to compare the stock map for the PCV with Two Brothers slip-on with the map that Marthy has with the autotune. Between the two it should be fairly close.

malikona

xXAvroArrowXx,
If you are moving towards a slip-on, I'll know a bit more in a few weeks. I plan to follow up with Marthy on this site. He runs an Autotune with his Power Commander with the same setup you are looking at. I received my V&H slip-on in the mail today and will install this weekend. I'll try it for a bit and then likley do the PCV next. I want to compare the stock map for the PCV with Two Brothers slip-on with the map that Marthy has with the autotune. Between the two it should be fairly close.

I've got a V&H slip on, no airbox mod, and the PCV as well. I am just trying the Two Brothers map from Dynojet and while it is a huge improvement already, I would love to find something that is specific for the V&H (I'm sure a lot of guys have this set up).

On another note, does anyone know exactly what the little black O2 Optimizer does? The instructions said to install it so I did, but I see Dynojet has a map that mentions it and the rest do not, which leads me to think it is optional? Anyway, I'd like to know what I am doing to my bike by using it, and if I should be doing something special with my mapping to account for it.

decooney

I'm definitely going with a PCV next for my 2012 FZ8. Bike is sitting now until I install it.

Last night I installed my new Vance & Hines CS One slip-on. I was not expecting much of a change other than noise. Interestingly enough, about half of the flat spot at 5k-6k disappeared, it rolls on quicker from 4.5k-6k and definitely feel an extra surge between 6k-8k. It was 75 degrees outside this morning during my first test. Paying close attention before and after installation, I immediately noticed a 3-4 degree change in regular idle water temperature and temp climbs much faster now when sitting at a long 4-way stoplight. My bike normally peaks at 203/204 at long lights on hotter days. Today at 75 degree outside temp it went quickly to 212 degrees at idle.

No way I'm going to chance it, nor do I want burnt valves or pistons - been there and done that before. I'm ordering the PCV immediately and going to install the first Two Brothers slip-on map to start.

HAHA NO!!!

I'm definitely going with a PCV next for my 2012 FZ8. Bike is sitting now until I install it.

Last night I installed my new Vance & Hines CS One slip-on. I was not expecting much of a change other than noise. Interestingly enough, about half of the flat spot at 5k-6k disappeared, it rolls on quicker from 4.5k-6k and definitely feel an extra surge between 6k-8k. It was 75 degrees outside this morning during my first test. Paying close attention before and after installation, I immediately noticed a 3-4 degree change in regular idle water temperature and temp climbs much faster now when sitting at a long 4-way stoplight. My bike normally peaks at 203/204 at long lights on hotter days. Today at 75 degree outside temp it went quickly to 212 degrees at idle.

No way I'm going to chance it, nor do I want burnt valves or pistons - been there and done that before. I'm ordering the PCV immediately and going to install the first Two Brothers slip-on map to start.

Same thing happened to me. I got white smoke too which means running lean. I bought the JuiceBoxPro from revzilla and it changed everything. And revzilla was cheap and quick. Www.revzilla.com

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hellgate

There is no way you'll burn a piston with only a slipon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

master paper clip

There have been a few cases with people havin just the slip on have been running very lean and showing bad Signs... Not often buts its happened HAHA_No being one of them

HAHA NO!!!

There have been a few cases with people havin just the slip on have been running very lean and showing bad Signs... Not often buts its happened HAHA_No being one of them

Thats right. With just a two bros slip-on, I had white smoke, Exhaust manifold turning blue, and high temp. That juicebox pro fix it all. It actually runs better now n i feel the power and also notice an increase in MPG. Full tank I can get about 150-160miles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

decooney

I would not be so sure of that in my state. A California FZ8 is not the same as other states in terms of emissions equipment. Two out of state dealers confirmed this for me when I was looking at out of state bikes before I bought mine. When they order the bikes from Yamaha, there are a few different versions and CA is equipped differently and something to do with the charcoal canister, air lines, and who knows what else.

One tuner I recently met told me the CA bikes are run a tad leaner than 14.624:1 AFR to meet emissions standards. With a slip on, I was told its a tad worse. I just tried it, and the temperature went up notably at idle on a cooler 75 degree day here. Not going to risk a high dollar motor or internals.

Hellgate

Yamaha actually tunes the bikes rich and uses a CAT to clean up the emissions.

I had an FZ6, FZ1, R6 and several other bikes custom tuned. More fuel is removed from the map than added.

Don't assume your bike is lean until it is properly measured.

decooney

Hellgate,
By chance do you have any dyno sheets with AFR or EGT measurements and data results that you can share for any of the FZ1, FZ6, FZ8 models? This would be most helpful.

I've looked at two different sheets for CA model bikes and both confirmed my assumptions, unfortunately. It would be great to not have to buy a PCV or flash/reset the ECU, but its not looking that way for my CA model FZ8. I agree, the proof is in the testing and data results.

lance2448

So do we have a collection of maps available somewhere, or did this die off?

I feel like a Power Commander will be needed for my bike, but it's hard to justify the cost of a professional tune.

decooney

Since my last post on this thread I've installed my Power Commander 5 (PCV), AIS systems removal, and mild air box mod to remove the horn - with the stock air filter. I examined the stock map settings and the Two Brothers map for the PCV unit from Dynojet. The base stock map preloaded is definitely leaner than the Two Brothers or Akra map, across the board. The prior comments about the bikes coming "rich" from the factory "letting the cat clean it up" is bunch of BS for any of the California emission equipped bikes. They come on lean side and the cat and AIS helps with the rest. The Yamaha FZ8s off the dealer floor in California come LEAN to pass the C.A.R.B state emission tests.

I've started out using the stock map, then the Two Brothers slip-on map next adding 8-10% fuel here and there. Since loading the Two Brothers map, the bike runs cooler water temps, does not heat up as fast at stoplights, with great mid and upper range performance. I'm going to run this map for a while into the start of fall to see how it goes. Not sure if I'm going to dyno the bike at this rate, runs great now. The PCV is clean and simple. Nice quality hardware, connectors, and software. Piece of cake.

Last edited:

lance2448

Good to hear, I've not had a chance to install mine (it's raining in Phoenix...wtf?), but I was going to use the Two Brothers map if nothing else came up. I'm mostly concerned about the chance of running lean while it's hot out.

decooney

Good to hear, I've not had a chance to install mine (it's raining in Phoenix...wtf?), but I was going to use the Two Brothers map if nothing else came up. I'm mostly concerned about the chance of running lean while it's hot out.

Re: Meltdown avoidance -

AFTER Slip-on install, on hotter days:
I have not done an AFR or EGT test on mine, but what I can share is the bike ran warm on 95-100 degree days after I added my slip on, reaching 193-212 degree water temp at four minute stoplights. Got warmer much quicker than before with the stock muffler. It was definitely leaner with the slip-on, and I did not want to risk it for long on super hot days. It never really bothered me not having a PCV until the real hot days and long stoplights started. Anything to keep those dreaded fans from turning on pushing hot air under the rider seat too.

AFTER ADDING PCV with TB map:
Now the bike runs 10-15 degrees cooler on average, even on hotter 95 degree days. It does not get warm or hot nearly as fast as it did before with the PCV installed and mapped. I have never seen anything above 200 degree water temp since installing the PCV. I rode my FZ8 exactly 287 miles last Sunday. It was my first long test of the PCV installed with mild air box mod with AIS removed. We were in a pack pushing hard through all sorts of on-the-gas uphill mountain roads, with outside air temps of 97F degree later in the day. The bike ran spot on water temps staying in the mid 180s, and some times lower. At longer 4-way stoplights coming home, I would see 194 degrees or so just to give you an idea. We are not in AZ temps here, but it will give you an idea for comparison.

Last edited:

Marthy

Since my last post on this thread I've installed my Power Commander 5 (PCV), AIS systems removal, and mild air box mod to remove the horn - with the stock air filter. I examined the stock map settings and the Two Brothers map for the PCV unit from Dynojet. The base stock map preloaded is definitely leaner than the Two Brothers or Akra map, across the board. The prior comments about the bikes coming "rich" from the factory "letting the cat clean it up" is bunch of BS for any of the California emission equipped bikes. They come on lean side and the cat and AIS helps with the rest. The Yamaha FZ8s off the dealer floor in California come LEAN to pass the C.A.R.B state emission tests.

I've started out using the stock map, then the Two Brothers slip-on map next adding 8-10% fuel here and there. Since loading the Two Brothers map, the bike runs cooler water temps, does not heat up as fast at stoplights, with great mid and upper range performance. I'm going to run this map for a while into the start of fall to see how it goes. Not sure if I'm going to dyno the bike at this rate, runs great now. The PCV is clean and simple. Nice quality hardware, connectors, and software. Piece of cake.

Doesn't quite matter what map your are using if you just swap the slip-on an still using the stock O2 sensor. The stock ECU will still trim the PCV values to whatever Yamaha decide to use in the cruising range. The PCV work only at top end I believe. The 8 run a bit fat from factory. I don't have the numbers on top of my head but you can take a look at my map for the Marthy mid-ship exhaust, it's available for download on my website. It's a advgear map with the MAP sensor hook up. 3D map... RPM+TPS+MAP (stock O2 sensor disconnected)

Also... there's a good difference between bottom and top gear at WOT. The FZ8 is restricted on the lower gear. The fuel trim on the data was quite different. More noticeable when I tuned the R779 conversion.

Last edited:

decooney

Doesn't quite matter what map your are using if you just swap the slip-on an still using the stock O2 sensor. The stock ECU will still trim the PCV values to whatever Yamaha decide to use in the cruising range. The PCV work only at top end I believe. The 8 run a bit fat from factory. I don't have the numbers on top of my head but you can take a look at my map for the Marthy mid-ship exhaust, it's available for download on my website. It's a advgear map with the MAP sensor hook up. 3D map... RPM+TPS+MAP (stock O2 sensor disconnected)

Also... there's a good difference between bottom and top gear at WOT. The FZ8 is restricted on the lower gear. The fuel trim on the data was quite different. More noticeable when I tuned the R779 conversion.

Marthy,
If the maps are the same at lower range, how do you explain the cooler running temps at idle with the PCV installed? I see easy 10 degree difference in water temp alone at idle during long stoplights. This tells me something is different in the idle circuit range - even with the base Two Brothers slip on map. I ran my PCV with the stock preloaded map at first, then switched to the Two Brothers map setup. Although I don't see a major increase in % fuel add in the lower range of the TB slip-on map, there is a notable difference in idle speed (+150rpms). I understand there are also changes in the timing curve too on some maps. Remember, some of us here run California Emission bikes, that come with 14.624:1 AFR as a C.A.R.B emissions limit. Also, I'm curious if you dyno'd your bike with your latest map and what the AFR was across the range using your map? For my setup using the TB map, maybe its the ignition timing change or water pump spinning faster, I don't know. It runs cooler at 4 minute long stoplights. Fans hardly come on any more. Before adding the PCV, on a 95 degree day at a 4 minute stoplight, the bike would reach 212 water operating temp, quickly. Now I never see anything over 200 degrees. This tells me something in the low range has changed too, fuel, idle, other.... I have not studied the maps enough to know, just reading before/after gauge differences for now .

Last edited: