Oil Filters

trahajopro86

Thanks for that list! Is the filter the same for 2013? I can't find that info anywhere. All I see is for 2012. I assume they are the same, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks

-Tracy

9 Lives

Thanks for info! I keep reading that motul oil is green? That's kinda cool yet interesting! Lol

The Motul 300V has a green tinge to it but it quickly turns to a normal oil color after you run it for a while. After all I heard about synthetic oil making your bike shift better, run smoother ect it was a total waste of money using synthetic, no change whatsoever on my bike. I am going back to the cheap dino oil.

Revenant

FILTERS ON LIST MAY NOT WORK

I believe the original poster, but needed to share my experience as a warning. I use PureONE in all my cars, and wanted to on my 2012 FZ8 as well. I purchased the PL14612 per OP's list and filled up with some nice expensive synthetic. The filter seemed to get tighter sooner than expected, and I couldn't get 3/4-1 turn past initial contact (not without crushing the filter). The next morning there was about a 1' diameter pool of nice clean oil under my bike. I was pissed.

I emptied the brand new oil and tried the WIX 51365, again per the OP's list, and noticed it too got tight too quickly. I tried the filter that had come off the bike originally and it snugged up as a filter should. The difference was in the offset between the threads and the seal. The PL14612 and 51365 will bottom out metal to metal with the engine block before the seal is compressed enough to work.

So, at least for my 2012 FZ8, these filters DO NOT work:
Purolator PureONE PL14612
WIX 51365

The filter that came off my bike was a WIX 51358. I used Oil filter cross reference and went to the store. I checked out the PureONE PL14610 to see where its threads sit in relation to its seal. It looked deep enough and is my preferred brand. Took it home, snugged up as it should, and I refilled with another round of expensive synthetic.

So I can confirm these filters DO work:
PureONE PL14612
WIX 51358

The PL14612 is a little longer than most (it's actually the same filter my Acura RSX-S takes), but still has plenty of room on the FZ8.

Basically, I wasted 2 filters and a gallon of expensive oil because I followed the original list. A lot of profanity and frustration occurred. I wanted to share because if it keeps even one other person from the same, it was worth it. If nothing else, do a dry fit of whatever filter you buy and see if it's going to work before making returning it impossible.

Darksabre

FILTERS ON LIST MAY NOT WORK

I believe the original poster, but needed to share my experience as a warning. I use PureONE in all my cars, and wanted to on my 2012 FZ8 as well. I purchased the PL14612 per OP's list and filled up with some nice expensive synthetic. The filter seemed to get tighter sooner than expected, and I couldn't get 3/4-1 turn past initial contact (not without crushing the filter). The next morning there was about a 1' diameter pool of nice clean oil under my bike. I was pissed.

I emptied the brand new oil and tried the WIX 51365, again per the OP's list, and noticed it too got tight too quickly. I tried the filter that had come off the bike originally and it snugged up as a filter should. The difference was in the offset between the threads and the seal. The PL14612 and 51365 will bottom out metal to metal with the engine block before the seal is compressed enough to work.

So, at least for my 2012 FZ8, these filters DO NOT work:
Purolator PureONE PL14612
WIX 51365

The filter that came off my bike was a WIX 51358. I used Oil filter cross reference and went to the store. I checked out the PureONE PL14610 to see where its threads sit in relation to its seal. It looked deep enough and is my preferred brand. Took it home, snugged up as it should, and I refilled with another round of expensive synthetic.

So I can confirm these filters DO work:
PureONE PL14612
WIX 51358

The PL14612 is a little longer than most (it's actually the same filter my Acura RSX-S takes), but still has plenty of room on the FZ8.

Basically, I wasted 2 filters and a gallon of expensive oil because I followed the original list. A lot of profanity and frustration occurred. I wanted to share because if it keeps even one other person from the same, it was worth it. If nothing else, do a dry fit of whatever filter you buy and see if it's going to work before making returning it impossible.

I have one that's even weirder...

I did follow the original list, and got the PL14612, which worked fine the first time. I purchased a second one for my next oil change, and it did exactly what the above poster said. Lots of oil on the floor, frustration, and worst of all, not riding the FZ8. But here's the strange thing: I took the second PL14612 off and compared it to the first, and they are different. The second one's gasket is nearly twice as thick, and the recess where the gasket fits in is much deeper than the first one. (I WAS going to try to swap the old gasket onto the new filter, but it would not fit!)

So, add me to the list of people who will not be buying the PL14612 anymore.

Bagman

Just to add some sensibility to this thread....

It's far more important to actually change the oil & filter at or before the scheduled time. Might I recommend less time stressing and nerding out over filters and oil, and more time enjoying riding the motorcycle and changing oil. Unless you plan to ride your motorcycle to 300,000kms+ I highly doubt you'll see the affects (if any) of one filter over the next.

OE Yamaha, or K&N for the helpful nut on the filter - Good enough for ANYONE! lol.

It's a Yamaha Fz8. Not a $1M hypercar!