Valvoline VO50
Warner PH2867
WIX 51356

All of these filters are said to have:
20 x 1.5mm thread
14 psi bypass valve
Anti-drain back valve
2.3" OD gasket

I typically either use Purolator PureONE or NAPA filters, and just successfully used a Purolator PureONE PL14612 for my first oil change. My VFR also uses the same filter and on it, I have used Purolator PureONE PL14612
, NAPA 1365, WIX 51365, and Mobil M1-108. I can safely say these 4 will work, but have not personally tried the others although most if not all on the list will work perfectly fine.

D

Deleted member 438

Honda filter

I did my first oil change and I ended up using a Honda oil filter because the Honda dealer is much closer to me than any Yamaha dealer. The part no is 15410-MFJ-D01, and it shares all the same dims. as the Yamaha filter.

hypo

oil and filters are NOT all the same...

Motorcycle Oil and Filters

Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters

more info than I've ever needed to know about oils and filters, but the inside pictures of some of those filters will make you think twice about what you put on your car, bike, anything....

Here is the page where he cuts the filters open and shows you how cr@ppy some of them are made:

OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Introduction

YAMAHA for example: PAPER???? unacceptable.

However the K&N is solid:

D

Deleted member 438

Based on all this info, I think I may start using the mobil 1 oil filter. The Honda filter I'm using now is actually made by an American co. called filtech and I really couldn't find much info on them.

hypo

Based on all this info, I think I may start using the mobil 1 oil filter. The Honda filter I'm using now is actually made by an American co. called filtech and I really couldn't find much info on them.

cut it open when you're done? :)

D

Deleted member 438

Filters

cut it open when you're done? :)

That's a great idea, hypo. I'm almost certain that the filter element is paper, and from what I was reading in one of those links, it's better to have one that is synthetic.

marko

What's really inside of name brand oil filters

Anyone interested in what a name brand oil filter is really made up of on the inside should go to YOU-TUBE and type in anything like "inside name brand oil filters". There is this one guy who opens up every major brand and shows you what is crap and what is good......very interesting....I'll tell you one thing, don't use Fram on any engine. I have read numerous articles on oil and filters being as anal as I am on my cars and bike...the three best filters on the market from what I have learned are the Purolator Pure-One, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple. Royal Purple is one of the only filters that uses a synthetic media inside which will not break down in extreme heat and usage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 438

Anyone interested in what a name brand oil filter is really made up of on the inside should go to YOU-TUBE and type in anything like "inside name brand oil filters". There is this one guy who opens up every major brand and shows you what is crap and what is good......very interesting....I'll tell you one thing, don't use Fram on any engine. I have read numerous articles on oil and filters being as anal as I am on my cars and bike...the three best filters on the market from what I have learned are the Purolator Pure-One, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple. Royal Purple is one of the only filters that uses a synthetic media inside which will not break down in extreme heat and usage.

Do you know what the Royal Purple filter number is for our bike?

n8kdfz8

So I read all your guys comments on Oil filters! And all is excellent advise for information on our bikes! I was thinking of going with the K&N filter and then I watched "yamahausa" on youtube about aftermarket filters vs. Factory! and they also had Factory Yamalube Oil vs. aftermarket. And I felt almost persuaded to use Factory Filters and Lube.

They mention how aftermarket filters will get job done but dont meet bypass valve relief specs. aftermarket filters are either set to high or to low. and once aftermarket filters clog the relief valve opens and lets through unfiltered oil at an uncontrolled manner. IDK can you guys help?

BTW im coming up on my first oil change and was originally thinking K&N filter and Motul 3000v 10w-40.

And if you get time, does anyone use Yamaha "Ringfree"???? gasoline additive

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

sinclap2

Lazy
They also say that if you don't use genuine yamaha/honda/kawasaki/ford/mazda/GM etc parts the world will come to an end and you will have to pay the devil with your first born child! :D

I believe they're just trying to screw you for more money. Get the best filter and oil you feel happy using. If that it's yamaha branded and you feel comfortable with that, then that's ok. I have used a K&N oil filter and Fuchs semi-synth 10-40W.

A lot of the guys on here use the Shell Rotella and are very happy with it. Just don't believe all the brand propaganda, as Yamaha are after your $ when it comes to servicing.

chodatus

BTW im coming up on my first oil change and was originally thinking K&N filter and Motul 3000v 10w-40.

I use both of those and satisfied, love looking through my oil window and seeing green. K&N filter's socket for easy removal is key also. Motul can get a bit pricey at $55 for 4L, that's the only downside.

BIGpanda

Rotella-t syn oil and use the purolator SYNTHETIC filter it's the blue one and it made for and uses synthetic media. I'll probably catch some flack but its better than the K&N filter, only better by the fact that is has more pleats in the media. But either or, K&N and purolator are the best.

It's all the same part number suffix, just the prefix that is different. All I know is it's in the blue box, I always get the yellow one though (pureONE) because it matches the bike better.

n8kdfz8

I use both of those and satisfied, love looking through my oil window and seeing green. K&N filter's socket for easy removal is key also. Motul can get a bit pricey at $55 for 4L, that's the only downside.

Thanks for info! I keep reading that motul oil is green? That's kinda cool yet interesting! Lol