Noise when taking off from 1st gear?

Gusm91

Hey guys!

I have a 2013 fz8 with 400 miles. Ever since I bought it new I hear some sort of noise when letting the clutch go and pulling the throttle. It feels as if I am not holding the clutch long enough and as if has not enough power to pull the bike from a stop. I feel that I hold the clutch any longer I will be riding the clutch...

Last edited:

TorontoAlex

Hey guys!

I have a 2013 fz8 with 400 miles. Ever since I bought it new I hear some sort of noise when letting the clutch go and pulling the throttle. It feels as if I am not holding the clutch long enough and as if has not enough power to pull the bike from a stop. I feel that I hold the clutch any longer I will be riding the clutch...

Are you referring to a rattling/chugging type of noise? I get that on takeoff. I think it's the engine knocking/pinging at low rpm. I get that with my truck too (manual trans also). Don't think it's a big deal but it's annoying.

F

fz8kansas

Yes that is engine knock. You want to avoid that as it is hard on the engine if done too much. It is caused by detonation in the combustion chamber. It can cause pits to form in the tops of the pistons. This in turn will weaken them. I do not know how long it would take to cause damage but it is undesirable. Don't be afraid to slip the clutch and give it a little more gas.

JSP

Administrator
Same thing as coasting to a stop in first with the clutch out. It will chug and lug bad. You are doing the same thing.

Gusm91

BINGO ALEX!! that is it....so I guess I have to rev it more? my gsxr never did that from what I recall so I don't know if its because I am still getting use to the clutch...Will giving it more rev damage the clutch in any way? also, this almost always happens at takeoff and someone mentioned that it can damage my engine....Its been happening since I bought the bike

Rotaryknight

As others have said, you will have to rev higher and feather the clutch more. I get the sound also but mostly from rolling stops in second gear when I am too lazy to shift riding in the city. The clutch will get worn out faster by feathering it, but it's easier to replace a clutch than an engine.

Chugging it is bad for the bearings because at low rpm with a high load, there is not enough oil pressure built up to get in between the metals. So contact will occur and you will get flat bearings or burned bearings

dtbrown

I've had mine about a year and not once heard this until this week I changed my air filter and the next day this exact rattling happened to me too. Only twice when engaging clutch low rpm. But can't seem to find what it is.