New Tires

hlmiskelly

After picking up an industrial staple in my back tire I decided to replace both with Michelin Pilot 3 tires. I had been impressed with Michelin Pilots on two previous bikes and thought they would be a good fit on the FZ8, especially since I've been outfitting it for light touring.

Is anyone else riding on Michelin Pilot 3's? If so, what's your experience?

IMG_20150121_135611356.jpgIMG_20150121_151733012.jpg

Wolf

I need a recommendation also. Just got back from a ride, pulled into my garage and found my front tire like this:

:eek5:

Original BT021's with about 6k miles.

Apparently I favor left turns. :chicken:

Last time I had to buy tires was in the early 2000s for an SV650. Back then I did a BT010 front and BT020 rear (which I guess neither is produced anymore).

Last edited:

jmsandy77

I need a recommendation also. Just got back from a ride, pulled into my garage and found my front tire like this:

Last time I had to buy tires was in the early 2000s for an SV650. Back then I did a BT010 front and BT020 rear (which I guess neither is produced anymore).

A fantastic tire I've ran on my SV650 and FZ8 has been the Shinko Raven. For around $170 for a set nothing comes close in terms of value. I get around 7-9k out of a rear and around 10-12k on a front. Shinko is Yokohama. Reviews online are fantastic. If you're looking for a good all around tire this is it. I've never had any problems with traction in either dry or wet, they ride and track very well and the longevity is great. If you're looking for a a higher end tire I suggest either Pirelli Diablo'ss or Michelin Pilot Road 4's. For me, value is of the utmost importance and the Raven's can't be beat. Chaparral Motorsports has the best price I've seen online. Or try Amazon.

Last edited:

Umyaya

Dude wtf are you doing riding on that. The front tire does that on that brand It blows.

Umyaya

A fantastic tire I've ran on my SV650 and FZ8 has been the Shinko Raven. For around $170 for a set nothing comes close in terms of value. I get around 7-9k out of a rear and around 10-12k on a front. Shinko is Yokohama. Reviews online are fantastic. If you're looking for a good all around tire this is it. I've never had any problems with traction in either dry or wet, they ride and track very well and the longevity is great. If you're looking for a a higher end tire I suggest either Pirelli Diablo'ss or Michelin Pilot Road 4's. For me, value is of the utmost importance and the Raven's can't be beat. Chaparral Motorsports has the best price I've seen online. Or try Amazon.

I agree. The turn in takes some getting used to since the front tire is a different shape.. Shinkos for the price are nice and you can ride them decently hard. They suck in cold weather though.

Umyaya

After picking up an industrial staple in my back tire I decided to replace both with Michelin Pilot 3 tires. I had been impressed with Michelin Pilots on two previous bikes and thought they would be a good fit on the FZ8, especially since I've been outfitting it for light touring.

Is anyone else riding on Michelin Pilot 3's? If so, what's your experience?

View attachment 5470View attachment 5471

Just to clarify those are the road series not power series. Because they make a michilin pilot power 3. Yes they are nice.

jmsandy77

I agree. The turn in takes some getting used to since the front tire is a different shape.. Shinkos for the price are nice and you can ride them decently hard. They suck in cold weather though.

Living in San Diego my tires haven't seen cold weather lol! Cold here is 50 degrees out. That's good to know though...

Wolf

Dude wtf are you doing riding on that. The front tire does that on that brand It blows.

It wasn't like that when I left the house. It went from having rubber to no rubber within 50 miles.

Anyone know the differences between the Bridgestone models?

Last edited:

Umyaya

Depends on what kind of riding you are doing. If you are hitting the track then yes get a race tire like the Rosso 2's or Pilot Power 3's but for anyone on the street I would get the Angel GT or Pilot Road 4. Sport touring tires are the best.... harder in the middle for longevity and still can be pushed to the max on the street. If all you do is commute or cruise up and down the downtown strip wanting to be looked at, Get a cheap Shinko Raven or some super hard tire that will last a long time. My next tires are actually going to be the new Metzler's M7 RR

Umyaya

I was planning on getting them but I think on the FZ8 I'm gonna run a Pr4 rear and a PP3 front.... on Bandit depemding on money I may run a shinko rear with a more soft front since the Bandit won't be pushed on the twisties ad hard..just unsure of what front would go well with a shinko. I like the idea of running a sport touring rear with a softer front.

SilverSlugger00

I was planning on getting them but I think on the FZ8 I'm gonna run a Pr4 rear and a PP3 front.... on Bandit depemding on money I may run a shinko rear with a more soft front since the Bandit won't be pushed on the twisties ad hard..just unsure of what front would go well with a shinko. I like the idea of running a sport touring rear with a softer front.
Why not the Metzeler M7 RR on the FZ8?

Umyaya

My rear is gonna run out quick here and my front is still devent. Running pirelli rosso 2s. I am pretty sure the PR4 will get more milege than the M7 and I think running it with The front rosso 2 will be similar to A Michelin PP3 or 2ct. May change if more reviews come out.

DjSwayde

I love my Dunlop Q3s that the PO had on my 8. They hold really well and warm up quick. If i was to switch it would only be to the M7 RRs, as I have heard great things from the people running them locally.

SAFZ

I've been using the Pilot power 3 on my FZ6 for that past year and they have been great. My new pilot power 3 just came in yesterday for my new FZ8, can't wait for it warm up a little to mount and ride.