New Guy, First bike.

SilverSlugger00

Hey group my name is Chris and I have a 2012 FZ8. Its my first bike and ive been riding now for about 3 months. This was my gift to myself after serving for 5 years in the Marines. Now im thinking mods and add ons first thing first New rearsets and exhaust. Ive been looking at the Driven Racing D-Axis rearset and a Yoshimura R-77. Dont know of i want a single or a double. From what ive read a few different threads on here allsagree that the R-77 is legit. So any advice on mods or brands im open. As ive said im new so pretty much everything is new and learning. As i ride more i like the relax feel of my bars but now im thinking clip ons because i do wanna tuck and make my bike more aggressive? Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Umyaya

I've heard good things about vortex rear sets. They also only cost 350. I bought the fz8 because my old bike had clipons and I love the comfort on the fz8. Also is suggest investing in good quality riding gear.... also suspension if you plan to really get after it. I'd work on learning good riding techniques and skills as well if it's your first bike.

SilverSlugger00

I've done the motorcycle safety course and passed so i have some training. Didn't skimp on the gear I have a shoei 1200 helmetc and icon jacket and boots. 2 pairs orly alpine star gloves. I think I've heard a few bad review about vortex rearsets the general thought was that they couldn't hold up to driven Racing series. I am planning sone suspension work to really dial my bike in. But for now just wanna do 3 basic modifications. As I said before I want.to do the exhaust and rear sets. But another big project that's high on my list is swapping out my front turn signals with some flush lights. That's actually how I found this site I've seen some differnt options on that note so now I'm researching pig because they claim to have a plate and I lights for the fz8 but they look like the R6 variant.

Umyaya

HeresMyMind is selling his Yoshi exhaust. I have the front flush mount blinkers... I like them because I hated the bulky stock ones... but you literally can't see them and no one will be able to.. so you will have to hand signal.. which I normally do anyways.. There are tons of options for blinkers.. People seem to really like the rear motodynamic integrated tailight.

SilverSlugger00

Yeah I have the integrated tail light. Just have to slick down the front now. Hhmm and yeah I kind of figured with the integrated front turn signals they would be hard to see in comparison especially because of their location. So where do I find the parts for sale section is there a whole thread of awesome well price goodness I'm missing?

SilverSlugger00

Dont see why looks like alot more work. Did your integrated work with just popping in or did you dremil down the port to fit the lights in?

Umyaya

The blinkers literally just fit right in. There was a plastic screw like piece that you attached in back after you placed them in the opening. Yea hopefully i won't find out if they are flimsy but anything is better than the stock flimsy things. Also the stock sit too low and the peg indicators scrape. There also are Sato and Nobunaka rear sets. I am not planning on tracking my Fz8 so I am going to buy the cheapest possible.. Probably the Nobunaka now that I looked at them again.

Last edited:

SilverSlugger00

So Nobunka are better or worst then the Vortex from what you have researched? Are they reverse shiftable? Also any other mods are needs?

pigdog

welcome from ca. i also treated myself to a bike after army games in 1970. aside from frame sliders & swing arm spools, i addressed the fz8s weakness. suspension. save up, spend money on handling, comfort, then all the other goodies.

Last edited:

SilverSlugger00

Okay more projets to save up for. Expensive expensive. Question Umyaya doyou have opinoon on the quality of bike stand companies Venom and Pitbull?

Umyaya

Yeah if you do a suspension upgrade go with a fz1 shock or if you have extra money I like my Hyperpro Streetbox (Very affordable. Includes rear spring and front fork progressive springs.) Lol for rear stands.... I have a woodcraft stand. It was cheap and a stand is a stand in my mind. Not gonna be doing crazy shit with it. Pitbull seems to be popular and I'm sure good quality but expensive.

Last edited:

SilverSlugger00

Thanks for the advice im looking at the street box now and gonna weight the options but looks like a nice replacement for the stock pieces. Reading different threads has me making a Christmas list that im sure my credit card wont like but my bike will. Ive also decided to get a PCV(power commander 5) just because im still in the tuning and add on stage. and everytime you add something new you have to reflash your ECU. might as well save money and just get the PCV and Autotune.