New FZ8 owner, new to street riding

nightttime

Hey everyone!

I just signed the paperwork for my new 2013 FZ8, this is my first purchase in my life all under my own steam. I'm 24 and just finished my undergraduate and graduate (I have an MBA) schooling and got a good job. Ever since my uncle taught me how to ride a dirt bike when I was a kid, I've wanted a motorcycle but my parents would never pay for one! Now I can, and I did. I am so happy to finally achieve this dream. I was referred to this forum by one of the nice and helpful employees at the dealership here in Hopkins, MN called the Hitching Post, he said he is on here and said I would benefit from and enjoy all the things it has to offer. I don't have any pictures yet of my baby because I picking it up from the dealer in two days, I wanted to make sure I had my insurance policy (whatever it will end up being, suggestions welcome!) before I drove it off the lot. I got the bike for $5,899 plus taxes and fees including a small warranty upgrade from my dealer to cover maintenance and the wheel and tire package! I am currently in my second and final day of the BRC so I can learn some good safety habits for street riding, luckily I already have the basics of actually operating a bike and dirt riding. I think cornering will be the most difficult thing to learn, but I'm planning on letting my new motorcycle teach me what it has to offer as well as what I learn from riding with it. I hope to learn a lot and ride a lot.

best,

nightttime
new member, new FZ8 owner 2014

HeresMyMind

Welcome, its a great bike. I love how pretty much anyone can ride it and be comfortable on it. Its tame, and still has enough umph to give you a grin when you pin it. You will have a blast. Id advise some Frame Sliders or an engine guard just incase you do go down while learning to ride it, protect that 6000$ investment. sliders can be bought cheap for 25$ or a engine guard for 125.

Welcome to the club

-B

Umyaya

Welcome. It is always nice to see other MN riders on here. You are doing it right by taking the BRC course. I have seen too many young squids think the course isn't necessary. Just remember to ride your own ride at your pace! Also get some good gear. Enjoy!

nightttime

Welcome. It is always nice to see other MN riders on here. You are doing it right by taking the BRC course. I have seen too many young squids think the course isn't necessary. Just remember to ride your own ride at your pace! Also get some good gear. Enjoy!

Thank you! I actually aced my road test and only missed four questions on the written test... I also got a river road jacket and a new scorpion exo helmet. I'm super pumped to pick up my bike in two days! It will probably rain/be really cold tomorrow but the rest of the week is looking good dry wise! So my bike is safe and warm at the dealers two more nights, which will undoubtedly be the longest two days of my life in a long time waiting for Tuesday after work.

Umyaya

Sweet. Ya you'll have to head east to Wisconsin or get out of the cities to find some nice roads. Yeah I suggest getting boots and gloves. Leather up. Even on the hot summer days I always had a full suit. Never know what eill happen.

Bomber12357

great to hear i just picked mine up last Thursday, put 50 miles on it and parked it great bike, you wont be disappointed!

Umyaya

What part of MN you from? There are a handful of guys on here from MN. Will have to do a meetup sometime.

Umyaya

Ah nice not bad. You hit up 61 down the river or east 60 yet? Or Welch? Weather will be rideable the next week or two. I usually cross over to Wisconsin for 35 and alphabet counties in Wabasha or Redwing/lake city.

Bomber12357

those are great roads i have yet to take this bike out there, unfortunately im out in Milwaukee finishing up my Degree and am don in November and i bought the bike rode it for one day and had to park her for what is probably going to be the season :( it is a shame because this bike is so much better than my little 500 i learned on. i had great expectations for this bike and it blew all of them out of the water. but i couldnt pass up the deal that i got for it and its is kinda my early graduation present to myself sooooo.
but 35 and 61 is an amazing little loop to take on a Saturday. when spring rolls in and i get the new tires its on my list to get out there.
but for the winter all sorts of time for new small upgrades :)

nightttime

What part of MN you from? There are a handful of guys on here from MN. Will have to do a meetup sometime.

A meetup would be awesome! I'm not planning to park it until the ice sets down. This weekend should be ideal riding weather too. I am just south of the cities, in Bloomington!

Umyaya

Yeah I'm riding until snow. I'm about 40 mins south of MOA on cedar. Probably wanna head south or east for decent roads. Jassalamba has an 8 from burnsville area.

nightttime

Yeah I'm riding until snow. I'm about 40 mins south of MOA on cedar. Probably wanna head south or east for decent roads. Jassalamba has an 8 from burnsville area.

I rode mine home tonight. WHAT A DREAM! IMG_2959.jpg Edit: Oh yeah, we live close by to each other then too. It was great today! Hoping for more of the same, sadly it won't last. I rode it around 4-5k generally b/t 30-40 mph down prarie center drive then on flying cloud I did some flying myself momentarily :)

Last edited:

Umyaya

Man that bike really is brand new! No plates yet and has the new fender eliminator! Ya Thursday looks super good ! May hit 70
Is the FZ8 your first streetbike?

Last edited:

nightttime

Man that bike really is brand new! No plates yet and has the new fender eliminator! Ya Thursday looks super good ! May hit 70
Is the FZ8 your first streetbike?

Yeah, it is my first street bike! I just did some riding tonight, just trying to learn how the bike feels so I'm basically working/riding this whole week :p. Oh, but no fender eliminator kit I just shot my photo really well. It's there still.

she is a beaut View attachment 5278 compared to my last/ first bike his one is amazing!

Isn't it, though! My brain is like going nuts when I'm not riding it haha. It's such a great bike, and hard to see myself on something else anymore. I love the riding position and I am interested to see how comfortable it will be on longer sessions.

vhutch

Finished my list of mods and loving it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk