Need your help. Oil filter seized on. PLZ HELP

PsySquad

Alright folks. I have a dilemma.

The oil filter is totally f*ing seized on there.
How seized?
I have broken one , but two filter strap wrenches.
and now recently. A pair of channel locks. I have tried putting tape around the whole filter, giving your hand grip and and twisting with all your strength. No luck. The last resort from what I hear is the ol' screw driver through the filter. I'm really hoping not to reach this point just yet, as I'm paranoid of just shearing the whole filter in half trying to twist this. Is there any other ideas?

Shorted

I would try this adjustable oil filter wrench if I were you before you try the screwdriver trick. Good luck!

master paper clip

Yeah I've had that happen... Cutting the filter in half thing that is, I ended up using a rubber filter wrench, instead of a metal band it was rubber, I wrapped it around the filter as close to the engine as I could and gave it the business, if that don't work try some penetrating oil or maybe run the bike for a little to let things warm up some

cambo

Avid Rider
+1 for the adjustable wrench. the rubber straps were useless for me too.

With the adjustable wrench, I clamped that sucker down hard on the filter to the point where the wrench teeth just about punctured it. gripped it and ripped it. out it came. good luck

also, replacing with an oil filter that has an exposed nut (so you can just socket wrench it off) really made subsequent oil changes for me a breeze. I used K&N.

thach1130

I got one of these from sears when they had a sale on them. They dig into the filter the harder it's stuck on.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
:agree: +1 on the self-tightening oil filter socket. The more you turn, the more it grips. Also, don't forget to put a little oil on the gasket before you put the new filter on the bike. And, don't over-tighten. The gasket will seal fine without the excess torque.:2cents:

RoadKill

use a torque wrench when you put the new one on! Oil filter cartridge: 17 Nm (1.7 m·kgf, 12 ft·lbf)

Rotaryknight

:agree: +1 on the self-tightening oil filter socket. The more you turn, the more it grips. Also, don't forget to put a little oil on the gasket before you put the new filter on the bike. And, don't over-tighten. The gasket will seal fine without the excess torque.:2cents:

word, I know a lot of people that basically screw it in by hand but they really torque it down with all their hand strength...I just stand back and laugh at them when it comes time to change the oil filter and they have to basically tear apart the filter lol. I have been a mechanic for 13 years and I always hand tighten oil filters to where they feel snug, and give it a little 1/8 of a turn and thats it. When the cars comes back in for another oil change, no tools needed, just reach my hand in there and twist.

Of course with motorcycles, especially ours where the filter is subjective to what ever the tire is throwing at it, it can be a little hard to take it off unless you got some really manly hands.

pajkrubi

I agree 100% on the putting a thin film of oil on the gasket of the new one before installing and only putting it on hand tight. I don't understand when I see people putting the new filter on with a wrench! :confused:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Seriously, use a small pry bar, or a small headed NON sharp gasket scraper..... And a rubber mallet, you won't sheer the threaded portion off the block.
Just remember not to go in to low or you will hit the threads lol.