Need help reinstalling the back wheel

alexk

Weekend Rider
I caught a bolt in my rear tire. Nothing I can't handle, right?

Wrong.

Everything went according to plan when removing the wheel, but I ended up with a part I can't identify laying on the ground. I never saw this on the bike, it wasn't under the bike when I started, and I can't locate it in the Owner's Manual, Service Manual, or Parts diagrams.

What the heck is it, where does it go, and how do I put it there?

I *think* it fell from the caliper side of the bike, but it's not the brake spring. It's got a pair of grease spots where it used to touch something...

9 Lives

I just looked at mine and can't find this part anywhere. Its never been apart.

Very curious on what it is and were it goes.

black8

Just had a look at mine and it looks like it holds the inner brake pad against the piston acting as like a pressure plate.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Just had a look at mine and it looks like it holds the inner brake pad against the piston acting as like a pressure plate.

OK, so I'm not completely insane.

I'm having some trouble seeing how this fits on the inner pad. Can you be more specific? Perhaps even shoot a picture or a page number from one of the manuals?

I really appreciate the help, guys. Thank you. =)

9 Lives

At first I thought the same thing, but on my bike anyway, the backing plates for the brake pads have holes in them where the pins go through. In the shop manual they call them the brake pad shim and brake pad insulator.

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
Not sure its a part of the brake... Cannot see anything like it in the brake diagram.

I looked at the rear wheel removal diagram and cannot see anything like it either... I could swear i've seen that piece somewhere myself though... ???

Last edited:

black8

Not sure its a part of the brake... Cannot see anything like it in the brake diagram.

I looked at the rear wheel removal diagram and cannot see anything like it either...

If you go to the chain side of the bike and look through to the innerside of the caliper you can see the plate

Fingers

Just looked at mine and I think it sit between the brake calliper and the mounting bracket, If I can get my phone to connect to my pc I'll post a pic

alexk

Weekend Rider
Very awesome, thanks!

I'm at work for the next eternity or so. When I get home tonight I'll give it a try!

:rockon:

9 Lives

Its funny they don't show that part in the shop or parts manual, weird. But at least the mystery is solved.