My 2013 won't start

pnokio

Hi guys,

Long story short, I bought my fz8 2013 with 1996km on it last friday. It took me 4 hours of riding to pick the motorcycle, so in my head there is no turning back since it's brand new.

We try to start the bike and it won't start (bike were in a none heated garage - all winter long around minus 20 celsius). We try at least 5 times. The person who sold the bike told us that two days before friday the bike start. My friend told me that his spakplugs are wet because he tried to start with gas or something like that. So I bought it.

We stored friday and saturday in a heated garage. Try to started and almost got it but did not work. So we took to the street and push it to start it, still not working. We connect to a battery car, still not working.

The things is the fz is still under Yamaha waranty until july and I'm scared to check sparkplug because of the warranty. Btw fuel pump is working when I put the key on, we hear it.

Any idea? Is it the last owner fault or the bike himself?

Thank you

Last edited:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-technical/3014-crankin-but-no-ignition.html?highlight=Crankin

Bottom line...... You got hosed....

Good news is :D we don't care, and we will help you.

:welcome: to the forum.

I don't think checking your plugs is going to void your warranty.

Modding the bike may or may not though.
So first thing is you have to call yamaha and get all the paperwork for warranty put in your name, if that can happen.... Your all good! If not, we have to start putting our heads together....

santosfz8

Only I can think of is if the kickstand is engaged and the fz is in gear :/ Idk mate good luck

sent from my note 3 [13' FZ8]

pnokio

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-technical/3014-crankin-but-no-ignition.html?highlight=Crankin

Bottom line...... You got hosed....

Good news is :D we don't care, and we will help you.

:welcome: to the forum.

I don't think checking your plugs is going to void your warranty.

Modding the bike may or may not though.
So first thing is you have to call yamaha and get all the paperwork for warranty put in your name, if that can happen.... Your all good! If not, we have to start putting our heads together....

Mine doesn't blink, and temp is at lo. I'll call Yamaha Canada tomorow and will give you updated.

Thank you

pnokio

A video of the the start attempts will help out a lot in diagnosing the problem.

I'll try to post it tomorow, it sounds like the link post below, except mine when I put the key you can hear the fuel pump doing his job and no key blinker. It cranks but does not start. And yeah, my radiator is very dirty. I do smell gas from the exhaust

Last owner put fender eliminator with led flashers (flasher blinks fast, do I need a relay ot resistor?) and a danmoto xg1, but will put back stock slip on for warranty... Is it possible that the fender eliminator can cause the problem?

Last edited:

NoNine4me

I'll try to post it tomorow, it sounds like the link post below, except mine when I put the key you can hear the fuel pump doing his job and no key blinker. It cranks but does not start. And yeah, my radiator is very dirty. I do smell gas from the exhaust

Last owner put fender eliminator with led flashers (flasher blinks fast, do I need a relay ot resistor?) and a danmoto xg1, but will put back stock slip on for warranty... Is it possible that the fender eliminator can cause the problem?
Whatever it is it can be fixed. It's a machine. It might cause some frustration and cost you a bit of money but it's not likely anything too terribly serious. Spark, fuel, and ECU. Gots to be somewheres in that mix. Could well be the fuel itself, either old or water-contaminated. Have a good mechanic go through it. You'll come out OK.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I know this is probably bad advice, but keep crankin' it? I had a rough experience with my near stock fz8 not starting, but I hit throttle and ignition at the same time and eventually it started. :/ phew.

pnokio

I know this is probably bad advice, but keep crankin' it? I had a rough experience with my near stock fz8 not starting, but I hit throttle and ignition at the same time and eventually it started. :/ phew.

I did it but notting

JDZIII

TRY THIS

http://www.archoilcart.com/motorcyclekits.aspxake

Check all the hoses and kick stand cut off switch.

Make sure the ignition cut off switch is clicked to the right setting.

Get yourself some fuel stabilizer like archoil 6200. Or drain the fuel tank and replace with fresh fuel.

If that doesn't work take it to a yamaha certified shop cause it should still be under warranty.

Last edited:

pnokio

http://www.archoilcart.com/motorcyclekits.aspxake

Check all the hoses and kick stand cut off switch.

Make sure the ignition cut off switch is clicked to the right setting.

Get yourself some fuel stabilizer like archoil 6200. Or drain the fuel tank and replace with fresh fuel.

If that doesn't work take it to a yamaha certified shop cause it should still be under warranty.

I'll try to do it...

Btw, all paper works for warranty :) they ask me for an extansion? Should I?

NoNine4me

Once in a while when mine is hot and has been sitting, it doesn't want to start if the throttle is closed. Happened a couple of times. I found that cracking the throttle (just like on an old-fashioned carbureted bike) cures it instantly. But you may indeed have bad gasoline and fouled spark plugs. Your mechanics should know what to do and how to troubleshoot it.

The only thing that would be impossible to fix would be tight valves, and that would be unheard-of on one of these bikes with such low mileage.

The older FZRs (1980s/early 1990s) used to have terrible problems with the intake valves getting so tight they would not close and you would have a situation where your engine would get no compression. This could happen in as little as 15,000 miles. But the FZ8 has the Genesis head and has never had such issues, historically. So that would be the last thing I'd look for.

Fuel, spark, ECU, in that order. You will get this solved.

pnokio

Another thing, two days after sitting on a heated garage, the first start we heard some pop pop from the exhaust, second try no more pop

Btw, my mechanical skillz are very limited

Woody146

Banned

I've recently been running into this...how did you fix it? Or did it just go away?

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
I'll try to do it...

Btw, all paper works for warranty :) they ask me for an extansion? Should I?

If all your paper work is good...... Take it to the dealership! Unless your really wanting to try and dissect this problem.... You can ask them for a detailed report on what they fixed.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I've recently been running into this...how did you fix it? Or did it just go away?

I don't want to blame it on the Tune I had with JBP since it could have been a number of issues, but essentially one day I came back from a hot ride, let it sit and came back the next day try, the sound was sickening. It was just crankin, crankin, and no ignition. Ever so often I'd get a REALLY REALLY Rough chug like it was having an asthma attack or something.

So it went something like:
Ignition 10 seconds, ignition 10 seconds, ignition 10 seconds, rough chug rough chug, die.

I uninstalled JBP put it all back together - and the same thing happened. Ignition 10 seconds, ignition 10 seconds rough chug chug, die.

And then I got pissed. I just said, f* it. If my bike with 5k miles won't start it's defintely under warranty anyways. So I cranked the throttle hard and hit the starter. And pretty much CPR'd it back to life. It's been fine since (knock on wood).

As no-nine-4-me mentioned, I'm thinking it could have some kind of new-fashioned vapor lock? Is that possible? I thought that was eliminated with new engines.

pnokio

I just contact the last owner, he seems to be a honest person, he did put some stabilizers in the fuel but did not disconnect battery, he recharge it the day he started... Can it be the battery? But we did try it with a car battery

DSmith

I just contact the last owner, he seems to be a honest person, he did put some stabilizers in the fuel but did not disconnect battery, he recharge it the day he started... Can it be the battery? But we did try it with a car battery

I had a yamaha scooter that i let sit all winter without the battery being charged. I charged it up the first nice day i wanted to take her out and she ran fine untill i shut her off. The battery wouldnt hold a charge if its life depended on it. So I replaced the battery with a new one and it ran fine. Motorcycle batteries arent extremely expensive and it wouldnt hurt to replace it and see what happens. I'm not mechanically inclined by any means so take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm just speaking from past experience.