Lucky find...

cambo

Avid Rider
Wondering if it's someone from here who was selling these...

But after months upon months of checking ebay every single freaking day in hopes that someone would, for whatever reason, list a set of used rearsets (other than danmoto) for our bike...

...the effort finally paid off. I won an auction for a used set of vortex rearsets with about 1k miles of use. "Great condition" (according to the ad)...and the pictures certainly backed the claim up.

Grand total? $175. I'll take it.

Fleabay ain't so bad :)

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Dude! I just put mine on I'm gonna upload pics now hehehe.....

Congrats, they will look sooooooo sick!

randyka

It took me about 3/4 hours. That's including dremelling the sprocket cover, bleeding the rear brake so i can attach the pin connector for the rear brake light. The hardest part was attaching the collar for the pedals, though you won't have to do that since you're getting it used. I LOVE GP SHIFT! it makes clutchless shifting and shifting in corners way easier!

cambo

Avid Rider
It took me about 3/4 hours. That's including dremelling the sprocket cover, bleeding the rear brake so i can attach the pin connector for the rear brake light. The hardest part was attaching the collar for the pedals, though you won't have to do that since you're getting it used. I LOVE GP SHIFT! it makes clutchless shifting and shifting in corners way easier!

haha shit...bleed the rear brake? damn that's more involved than I was hoping.

I might have to lump this and some stainless steel lines into a combined mod day. Which means winter time stuff. oh well, at least I got it ready.

randyka

You don't have to if you don't care about your rear brake triggering the brake light. I almost didn't do it.

cambo

Avid Rider
bah...I'm tempted to cut that corner but I'll set it up with the rear brake light. I need to learn how to bleed brakes anyway. Everyone says it's easy.

ssky0078

haha shit...bleed the rear brake? damn that's more involved than I was hoping.

I might have to lump this and some stainless steel lines into a combined mod day. Which means winter time stuff. oh well, at least I got it ready.

Hel lines are sweet. Although the only negative I have to say is that the little yellow collars are faded to sand color by now. AZ sun is no joke. The lines still look good though in Carbon/Smoke

cambo

Avid Rider
Alright I mounted the Vortex rear sets this morning. I'll post pictures later, I'm tired as hell...been up since noon yesterday.

Pros:
1) looks awesome
2) GP shift seems pretty cool, and it's super easy to turn shifter piece thing around to change between GP and regular...so I'll experiment later on.

Neutral:

1) Adjustability isn't what I was expecting...but then again, I'm not even sure what I was expecting. Feet feel like they are in the exact same position as the stock rearsets. I've got it set to all the way down and all the way back...and it feels the same as stock.

2) I know there's a way to jury rig the stock red light switch, there's gotta be. I'll come up with a way.

Cons:
1) You can't mount the yamaha oem engine guard. The bracket for the shifter takes up the space where the engine guard would mount. So I'm going to revert to sliders and put the engine guard up for sale later.

2) It was a used set...and it was missing a few pieces. Banky will know what I'm talking about because he brought this up before...but right after you reverse that lower engine bolt, you're supposed to slip some sort of hexagonal bracket over the nut. I was missing that bracket. How necessary is it? It would be a third mounting point for the shifter. But it's already held in place by the two kickstand bolts and threadlocked down...so I'm ok with that. There were also some mounting bolts missing but I had a few random bolts lying around that fit so I'm good with that.

3) Since the yamaha guard came off, that was the other half of my 'red' theme...so I yanked the red off the frame pieces under the seat. And actually yanked anything red off the bike. I got rid of the decals and rim stickers and what not. Bike is totally matte blacked out now. I kinda like it.

Pics later. Sleepy time.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
The hexagonal bolt thing lol, if I remember right it doubled as a fixture, and a spacer for the bracket that goes above the kickstand. I don't know if you really need it or if you can do without it.

Call vortex, I've talked to them a couple of times and they are really cool :)2cents:)

Maybe you can get any hardware you need separately?