Looking to buy a FZ8 and need some advice

FlyBoy

Hello all. New member here. I'm looking to upgrade my '85 Magna to a '13 FZ8. I found one on sale at a local dealership on consignment. The only problem is the asking price is $7999.00. It's a stock 2013 with 160 miles. The bike looks brand new and it practically is. According to the salesman the original owner has to sell the bike for medical reasons.

IMO that is way to much for that bike though. I was going to make a counter-offer but I was wondering what other owners thought a fair price might be. I don't want to low ball the guy but I also to want to be taken advantage of. Is $5000 to low an offer? Would $6000 be better? Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

-FlyBoy

SBGuy

Hello all. New member here. I'm looking to upgrade my '85 Magna to a '13 FZ8. I found one on sale at a local dealership on consignment. The only problem is the asking price is $7999.00. It's a stock 2013 with 160 miles. The bike looks brand new and it practically is. According to the salesman the original owner has to sell the bike for medical reasons.

IMO that is way to much for that bike though. I was going to make a counter-offer but I was wondering what other owners thought a fair price might be. I don't want to low ball the guy but I also to want to be taken advantage of. Is $5000 to low an offer? Would $6000 be better? Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

-FlyBoy

All I can say is i bought my FZ8 with 2k miles for $6500 after taxes. IMO I got a good deal, others may say they got a better deal. Doesn't hurt to counteroffer though.

a-rode

There are some nice used ones here in Milwaukee for about $5-6k. I rode my out the door at a dealer brand new for $6,500

Shop around and see what you can find.

Umyaya

8k for a fz8. Geezes. Give me 8k and I could find many bikes that are way better especially if the FZ8 is stock.

Sinooch

6000 is a fair price. you would probable want to go lower as counter offer so you can haggle your way to 6 though. just my opinion though.

FlyBoy

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the insurance company has decided that it would cost close to $1000 a year to insure the bike. Guess I'll have to wait a while to get the FZ8... :(

Umyaya

Crazy mine is 330 full coverage a year. Either you have a DUI on your record or your company is ripping you off. If option 2 is the case.. switch to a different provider!

Last edited:

Keach

Yeah shop around on insurance. When I bought my first bike at 23 everyone was crazy expensive except nationwide. Now progressive offers me more for less. I've noticed bike ins premiums can vary a ton company by company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myklobe

I picked mine up last year during the FZ-09 craze for $6500 boxed. They un-crated it for me with 0 miles, and I felt that $6500 was the appropriate price, considering there were 2 newer versions of the FZ line out there now. It's a dang good bike, and you can find them on eBay / local listings for about $6500 still with just a few miles. $8000 is original sticker; I'd think they could work it a little bit to move it.

As for insurance, I found that all gave me crazy numbers (Progressive seemed the best at around $1000 a year) until I chanced with State Farm. $260 / year full coverage. I have a perfect driving record, and they gave me a killer deal moving my 2 other automobiles full coverage and home owner's over to them.

FlyBoy

I don't know why they are so high. 31 years old with a clean driving history. 8 claim-free years with Progressive on my current bike.

Allstate wants 612 a year.

The best I was able to find so far is Progressive for 550 a year. Still a bit high IMO. 330 would be great.

Insurance for a FZ-07 is even worse.

Sinooch

Im not sure if you can get Rider insurance where you are but thats what i have. I pay 670 for full coverage for the year and im 22 just got license when i bought the bike back in march and i had a previous accident and points and violations on my record. i feel like i got a hell of a deal.

nwwhiteh

I bought mine off show room floor with 0 miles for $6100. That was last summer after the fz-09 release. Yamaha had a $1300 rebate at the time and I worked for the dealer so I got $100 over invoice minus the rebate. bike. As far as insurance American ffamily's the best at $23 a month.

jtackerman28

bought my 2012 3 months ago with 2000 mile a two bros exhaust, pcv, leds front and rear, fender eliminator, radiator guard and bar end mirrors for 5500 plus 3% tax.
It was also on consignment they wanted 6900 for it. i told them 5500 they took it.

Umyaya

I switched over to Allstate from State Farm. Got better rates and in State Farms policy book there is some questionable written statements about motorcycle coverages that is sketchy.